Pitino to New Mexico

I have to admit, I like the dry western air, but I might get tired of that after a while.

I remember, ten years ago, driving back from California on one of our epic family road trips. At some point in Nebraska we crossed the humidity line. We had stopped at a rest area in the western part of the state, and the air was still dry, and then again further east and it was suddenly oppressively humid. I bet it was two distinct air masses that we had crossed suddenly. I also remember a similar experience driving back from Duluth once.

And make no mistake, that was extraordinarily humid air. If I recall correctly, Lincoln set an all-time record for heat index that day. Meanwhile it's dry a a bone on the other end of the state.
I've never, ever ever gotten tired of the dry! I really do love it, as opposed to sweating your balls off.

Nebraska is most definitely humid east, dry west; couldn't tell you exactly where it breaks. Here's a perfect example of humidity vs dry though.

I've played golf on a number of occasions in the desert well over 110, even 115 degrees. Not terrible, you hit and keep moving, hopefully you're not standing around much. The only time in my life I've been on the golf course and TRULY thought "I really shouldn't have played today" was playing golf in Lincoln, NE on a day where it was about 92 degrees. I wasn't sure I would make it back to the clubhouse without some assistance, honestly; and I was 29 years old and in great shape. Give me the dry any day of the week.

I've never, ever ever gotten tired of the dry! I really do love it, as opposed to sweating your balls off.

Nebraska is most definitely humid east, dry west; couldn't tell you exactly where it breaks. Here's a perfect example of humidity vs dry though.

I've played golf on a number of occasions in the desert well over 110, even 115 degrees. Not terrible, you hit and keep moving, hopefully you're not standing around much. The only time in my life I've been on the golf course and TRULY thought "I really shouldn't have played today" was playing golf in Lincoln, NE on a day where it was about 92 degrees. I wasn't sure I would make it back to the clubhouse without some assistance, honestly; and I was 29 years old and in great shape. Give me the dry any day of the week.

When I was working in Iowa, I did a weekly live radio show at the local dirt track. I was interviewing a driver who was from Albuquerque, and he said the summers in Iowa were too humid. pretty much said the same thing as Ogee - he'd rather have hot and dry as opposed to hot and humid.

I think a lot of it is what you're used to. My buddies and I (all early to mid 50s at the time) vacationed in Glacier Park in 2017. We did the Highline Trail on a warm day, which was characteristically dry and, of course, high altitude. We had been in the park a couple full days by that point, so we were fine, but we happened upon a guy about a half mile from the end of the trail who wasn't in good shape. He was suffering from apparent heat exhaustion and/or altitude sickness, and it took us about an hour and a half to nurse him down the rest of the way to the parking lot, where the EMTs were just arriving for him. He was 25, if I recall correctly, a soccer player from North Carolina. I think he was over-confident of his ability to handle the dry, thin air his first full day in the park, and he was wrong. He ended up in the hospital.

Last edited:

Top Bottom