Pitino to New Mexico

Your a complete DB
Ignoring has helped restore my peace. Try it.
It shouldn't. He can coach. He wasn't ready for this job. This one is really, really tough. Zero margin. You succeed here in three years or your momentum is gone forever. I think he will do very well at New Mexico and I would guess they are pretty excited.
Will it be with Gopher players? Time will tell, but I bet he takes at least a couple with him.

Ignoring has helped restore my peace. Try it.

Will it be with Gopher players? Time will tell, but I bet he takes at least a couple with him.
Would be great for him to bring a couple of these guys with him. I’m being sincere. They would be huge assets to start his career there.

I'm sorry you were offended by me saying "lol" to another poster. Its really not about ridicule as it as much as the same people making the same negative comments and offering no discussion on said topic.

If you don't want to talk about who is available and why it was a good or bad hire, that is fine. Its just as lazy and pedestrian to categorize UNM's head coaching hire as poor, without giving any discussion to who was considered/offered/available, and only citing their head coaching history. Summarizing a SportsReference or Wikipedia article on UNMs head coaching history to back up your point of it being a bad hire is interesting to say the least, might even call it inability to articulate a position like you refence above. To each their own though.

Hey, that was much better!

The point of my prior post is that it's not like New Mexico hasn't had better in their history and they have no business expecting better now. Alford only left 8 years ago and his successor won 27 games in the year after he left. This school isn't a Northwestern or a Penn State. Those schools have been very, very tough places to win for a much longer time span.

NM apparently interviewed only 3 candidates for their job. It's certainly not unreasonable to argue, based on their respective histories, that the other two candidates would have been better choices. I'm not a big Tim Miles fan but he did enjoy success (or at least continuous improvement) everywhere he coached until Nebraska and he did have a slightly better conference record in the Big Ten than Pitino. Some of that success came from lower division schools but the same thing could have been said about Bo Ryan prior to Wisconsin.

Lots of people on Twitter saying it. Guessing they have sources telling them this. If I’m wrong I’ll send you a $20 gift card to the convenient store of your choice. But they aren’t paying the $1.75 million buyout.
Of course, not all of it. But there isn't really anything suggesting they are completely out from under it either. My guess is they pay something to him, but for not the whole 1.75. He won't equal his salary here at NM so theoretically they will owe him something. Maybe they all walked away grateful it's done and no litigation.

In my awkward way I was saying he is a class act who holds no grudges and lives by what he told his players be prepared because things don't always go your way.

Hope we see Pitino NM team play the the Gophers in the NCAA finals in the near future.
More like the first round for a quick W.

Would be great for him to bring a couple of these guys with him. I’m being sincere. They would be huge assets to start his career there.
Agreed. I just hope he doesn't take legitimate Big Ten talent with him. There might be a couple guys who could thrive there that won't here. I won't name names to go, but I sure as heck want Mash and Robbins to stay with the new administration. Ihnen, too. And maybe others.

Assume that's the case. And they surely aren't paying him that much. Dutcher only makes $1.6.
Dutcher doesn’t make that much.

Here are Dutcher’s salaries-

2020-21 : $930,000
2021-22 : $1.18M
2022-23 : $1.33M
2023-24 : $1.405M
2024-25 : $1.48M
2025-26 : $1.53M

I think NM said they were going to pay around $750k-$850k per year. But in terms of his buyout here it also depends when that money is due (within 30 days vs paid in monthly installments through contract term) as to how the NM salary will offset the buyout. As well as the wording of the buyout.

Billy Donavan with another successful referral for Richard. I hope he enjoys his bonus from Rick when a gaggle of strippers shows up at his door.
The recruiting scene from He Got Game.

I'm probably making this up, but I feel like that scene/recruiting trip is supposed to be based on Rick Pitino at Kentucky. Which would somewhat matchup with Jesus Shuttlesworth perhaps being loosely based on Mashburn Sr.

Anyway ...

The point of my prior post is that it's not like New Mexico hasn't had better in their history and they have no business expecting better now. Alford only left 8 years ago and his successor won 27 games in the year after he left. This school isn't a Northwestern or a Penn State. Those schools have been very, very tough places to win for a much longer time span.

NM apparently interviewed only 3 candidates for their job. It's certainly not unreasonable to argue, based on their respective histories, that the other two candidates would have been better choices. I'm not a big Tim Miles fan but he did enjoy success (or at least continuous improvement) everywhere he coached until Nebraska and he did have a slightly better conference record in the Big Ten than Pitino. Some of that success came from lower division schools but the same thing could have been said about Bo Ryan prior to Wisconsin.
Yeah they definitely have had some solid success for a mid major, but also anything outside of Alford for the last 20 years has been pretty bad. Miles and Pitino are of the same caliber to me. Miles had success in the MWC turning around a bad CSU team at the time, but only made 1 tourney appearance in Nebraska. His teams were never really that dangerous, but okay. Pitino doesn't have experience building up a mid major, but did put together some dangerous teams, made a couple tourneys and won B1G coach of the year. Can argue the fine points either way imo, tough to say either way.

My point is that its great that they have had success, and you are right they have, but its a completely different system and staff than it used to be. If UNM led as much credibility as you say they do, wouldn't they have better names in the mix at least or being targeted? Miles, Pitino, SFA coach are all similar, hence my point that it wasn't really a bad hire, it was what they can get.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You could be right but you don't sound like a lawyer to me. A lawyer wouldn't say: "Well, there it all is in black and white. Nothing to debate here. It's over." There's almost always something to debate in the law and even if there isn't much at all, people will often pay something just to make the case go away.
The laws are usually written so there is something to debate! ;)

Of course, not all of it. But there isn't really anything suggesting they are completely out from under it either. My guess is they pay something to him, but for not the whole 1.75. He won't equal his salary here at NM so theoretically they will owe him something. Maybe they all walked away grateful it's done and no litigation.
No, they won't. It'll be a few thousand at most. $20 convenient store gift card on the line. If I'm right you just have to say that.

Pitino might take Omersa with him to NM, he's in the transfer portal now

Agreed. I just hope he doesn't take legitimate Big Ten talent with him. There might be a couple guys who could thrive there that won't here. I won't name names to go, but I sure as heck want Mash and Robbins to stay with the new administration. Ihnen, too. And maybe others.
Mashburn came here because his dad played for Pitino's dad. Is I think the working assumption?

Not saying I think he's going to NM, or Iona for that matter. But doubt he has any other ties or affinity for Minnesota, the state or the U.

Huh? So, they didnt interview any coaches of color? This is pretty much part of the problem.

Mashburn came here because his dad played for Pitino's dad. Is I think the working assumption?

Not saying I think he's going to NM, or Iona for that matter. But doubt he has any other ties or affinity for Minnesota, the state or the U.
He has a starting job in the B1G waiting for him if he stays though.

He has a starting job in the B1G waiting for him if he stays though.

I can't say that right now with 100% confidence. The new coach could pick up a good quality transfer point guard. Mashburn was pretty ineffective as a point guard (either he has difficulty seeing other players on the court because of his size or he's just not looking for them) and he was a poor shooter in his freshman year except at the free throw line. Certainly the shooting issues are pretty common for freshmen and that could improve significantly. He was also a poor defender.

His best feature was that he had offensive aggressiveness and confidence and there weren't enough players on the team who did.

Loves the Carlson School. His future is running the family business not the point in professional basketball.

Top Bottom