Pitino era is over, start the search now.

Try Musselman. We need intense, tough, hard nosed basketball. He just signed with Arkansas so it may not happen. He recruited an insane class and has them back to respectable in one year.

There is some buzz he would be very interested.
You are correct, I hear.

That's certainly a sign. I think Damian Johnson's team lost their first 6 and looked horrible doing it. Now they've won how many in a row? My niece's HS team: after the first couple games I was wondering whether they'd get a victory this season. Now they're in the quarterfinals of their section--even after losing one of their standouts to injury. That's coaching.
They have won 17 in a row now. I would love to see him on the next staff as an DOBO or Recruiting Coordinator or something just to get his foot in the door. His team had injuries and he suspended kids because of grades during that losing streak. I was at the Edina game and he had those kids playing hard and together.

Try Musselman. We need intense, tough, hard nosed basketball. He just signed with Arkansas so it may not happen. He recruited an insane class and has them back to respectable in one year.

Who knows but I don't see how he would be interested, he's got a top ten recruiting class at Arkansas this year.

is Tim Miles still interesting or more "meh at this point? Also I wonder if Dave Joerger could possibly have any interest in coaching college.
My opinion: he might not be the caliber of some of the other possibilites, but I think he's an under-valued commodity, especially after being fired. Maybe Fred will get that thing humming after some time, but it might be becoming apparent how tough the Lincoln situation is.

My opinion: he might not be the caliber of some of the other possibilites, but I think he's an under-valued commodity, especially after being fired. Maybe Fred will get that thing humming after some time, but it might be becoming apparent how tough the Lincoln situation is.
Miles is a decent fall-back option, and it's a virtual lock he'd take job. But I hope we don't go that far down the list.

is Tim Miles still interesting or more "meh at this point? Also I wonder if Dave Joerger could possibly have any interest in coaching college.
Nothing against Joerger, but I have zero interest in anyone who hasn't been a D-1 head coach before.

Miles is a decent fall-back option, and it's a virtual lock he'd take job. But I hope we don't go that far down the list.
Hold on. Fall back?

We have the best AD in college sports. If the AD cant hire anyone and the process gets to TM, ……..

At what level/conference/etc?
I would want someone at the D1 level, but don't mind if they made their way through Juco or DII. Honestly I don't care if they are in a small conference either if they dominated it, I'd at least be interested.

Typing the word "excellence" is easy. Defining it, in the world of CBB, is difficult. (Note - except for Badger, who didn't say that)

Yes it's definetly defined differently by everyone. My deal is I look and see that they've progressively gotten better within 3-4 years minimum. I look at continual years of strong conference records. I also will look and see where they are ranked in KenPom or other analytic sources as well.

I bet that Wake Forest makes a hard push for Wes if they decide to move on from Manning as well. I read that Wake Forests athletic facilities are named after his father as well

Will be an interesting one to watch. Wes Miller is another one that will be interesting there as there is a strong family connection.

Musselman would be a fabulous hire. I just doubt he's leaving Arkansas this quickly.

Please state how and why? Either way I still would rather have quite a few others personally.

How? I don't know. I have heard that he would be interested but that's all I will say. Why? If they think he is the guy that can turn this thing in a way that hasn't been done since his dad- then that would be why. I have zero insight into whether Coyle would go that direction. If Musselman were the guy I wanted I would probably wait one more year with Pitino. 5 million for the buyout is a lot of hay unless someone steps up with it.

I think that Musselman would be the fastest turnaround guy we would find. He would bring in a few transfers to the roster for sure and it would likely be an instant shot in the arm at the box office just on the name. Where it would go from there...I have no idea. It would be interesting- that's for sure.

How? I don't know. I have heard that he would be interested but that's all I will say. Why? If they think he is the guy that can turn this thing in a way that hasn't been done since his dad- then that would be why. I have zero insight into whether Coyle would go that direction. If Musselman were the guy I wanted I would probably wait one more year with Pitino. 5 million for the buyout is a lot of hay unless someone steps up with it.

I think that Musselman would be the fastest turnaround guy we would find. He would bring in a few transfers to the roster for sure and it would likely be an instant shot in the arm at the box office just on the name. Where it would go from there...I have no idea. It would be interesting- that's for sure.
One year late going after Musselman IMHO.

One year late going after Musselman IMHO.
Good chance of that. Timing is bad. Hard to say what happens, we may or may not be switching coaches anyway. We'll see. I trust Coyle on this move.

I bet that Wake Forest makes a hard push for Wes if they decide to move on from Manning as well. I read that Wake Forests athletic facilities are named after his father as well
Check out the buyout number on Manning.

Go on. Enlighten us.
How would i do that ? We all have different ways of what we think is terrible, what we think is good, what we think is great. I am not provincial so i am never biased about a coach based on where he is from. We have fans who think Pitino is great, that Tim Miles is really good. That Damian Johnson should be on staff.Will list my top 3 guys for the job if the job opens.

Not what i am hearing. Agents usually fake interest or try and create it but not in this case.

How would i do that ? We all have different ways of what we think is terrible, what we think is good, what we think is great. I am not provincial so i am never biased about a coach based on where he is from. We have fans who think Pitino is great, that Tim Miles is really good. That Damian Johnson should be on staff.Will list my top 3 guys for the job if the job opens.

I look forward to this if it happens. I know you think highly of Craig Smith, Mike Rhoades, and Wes Miller. Will be interesting to hear who you think would want the job.

Good chance of that. Timing is bad. Hard to say what happens, we may or may not be switching coaches anyway. We'll see. I trust Coyle on this move.

I do trust Coyle as well with this choice to move or not. I'm finally on the wagon of it being time to move.

I just hate that many of the people on here (you're not one of them) that will rip on the idea of transfers being a terrible way of recruiting. Our current coach has taken a lot of transfers and got ripped for it. As far as quick turn around, I truly believe Craig Smith or many others could do it as quick as musselman if they chose to go that route. My hope is they build with longevity in mind.

Well, I think you have informed opinions and know some things that aren't common knowledge, so I'm genuinely interested in what you got to say.

I look forward to this if it happens. I know you think highly of Craig Smith, Mike Rhoades, and Wes Miller. Will be interesting to hear who you think would want the job.
Top 3 and who badger thinks might want the job are quite different, most likely.

Hmmm. Why not list them now. Badger.

I just hate that many of the people on here (you're not one of them) that will rip on the idea of transfers being a terrible way of recruiting. Our current coach has taken a lot of transfers and got ripped for it. As far as quick turn around, I truly believe Craig Smith or many others could do it as quick as musselman if they chose to go that route. My hope is they build with longevity in mind.
I actually like a transfer or two. Especially upper class men.

Top Bottom