Pitino era is over, start the search now.

Sorry to pile on, but we got outscored 10-1 in the last 2 minutes. These late game situations do not change.
What would you have done differently to win this game? Tell Gabe and Marcus to make the free throw? This was was not on Pitino at all

What would you have done differently to win this game? Tell Gabe and Marcus to make the free throw? This was was not on Pitino at all

My criticism is before that. It's ok to run clock, but offense still needs to be run. The consistently thing of the four collapses this year was the stalling part. They need to still look to score in those moments imo

Remember when Norwood fired Tubby and it was lock that we were gonna hire Shaka Smart? Remember when Maturi fired Mason and we hired Brewster? Remember when we fired Brewster and hired Kill? It seems like we always get the 6th or 7th best choice of possible applicants. Fleck and Tubby are the only 2 big time hires during my adult life and Tubby fell in our lap and turned out mediocre. Maybe Coyle is better at this process and I should trust in him.

There has been a substantial upgrade in our facilities since we replaced Tubby and Mason; and, I also believe that we are now prepared to pay replacements a more competitive salary. Moreover, Coyle has made, what I view, are good hires.

Coyle has shown he can make good hires. Although I like Richard's personality and genuinely wish him the best for he and his family it should no longer be here. My beefs are he is not recruiting enough depth, missing out on too many local recruits (although Oturu makes up for a lot of it), makes some questionable sets for offense at bad times, hasn't gotten his teams to play consistent...too many ups and downs season by season and sometimes game by game. Facilities are there, conference is there, pay will probably be there. Someone will want this job. It's time to bring the Barn back to the packed house days and consistancy.

Look at the minutes per game of Oturu, Carr, and Kalscheur. Then look at the late game collapses when they are presumably at their most tired. This is not a coincidence. Having no bench and running his starters into the ground has an effect at the end of the game.

(1) I would not have played Demir so many minutes in the second half. His lack of athleticism led to a ton of offensive rebounds. We built our lead with Demir on the bench and Jarvis/Ihnen splitting time, that should have been the rotation in the second half.

(2) We were completely lost against the zone. Watch the game back, we were bailed out on good shooting a few times, but that wasn't a crisp offensive set, ever.

(3) I genuinely believe part of our collapse is that we have three players playing like 35+ minutes per game. They're exhausted. We've collapsed a lot.

(4) We cannot break a press. It's always horrific.

(5) Our offense at the end of the game was terrible. Again. We hold the ball for too long and then settle for a prayer. Have you not noticed this trend?

Look at the minutes per game of Oturu, Carr, and Kalscheur. Then look at the late game collapses when they are presumably at their most tired. This is not a coincidence. Having no bench and running his starters into the ground has an effect at the end of the game.

He's not even capable of stealing minutes here and there for Carr. I don't think Greenlee is very good, but he could get 5-6 minutes (with Willis and Kalscheur out there). I think that time would go a long way for Marcus Carr.

I don't think this loss is bad thing. It just tells you that Pitino is what he is. He relies on the players, they win some and they lose some is the way he goes. College coaches have so much more control than that. Best coaches win the close games. All the rest just hope they do. Pitino would be in the latter category there.

that would have been a good start...….
and how about not letting Maryland roll the ball all the way to half court to save time! horrible coaching! at a min. make the guy grab the ball early and you can always turn and sprint back and get in position

Run an actual inbounds play that doesn't involve Carr running to the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Demir off the court

Run an offense at the end that doesn't involve a shot clock buzzer beater

you are up by 17 points....get Carr off the court for even 2 minutes! the guy is shot. Look how he plays the last 3-4 minutes a game.

(1) I would not have played Demir so many minutes in the second half. His lack of athleticism led to a ton of offensive rebounds. We built our lead with Demir on the bench and Jarvis/Ihnen splitting time, that should have been the rotation in the second half.
This is unquestionably the biggest coaching error of the game. Ihnen was having his breakout game, including playing great defense and scrapping on the offensive glass. He was much of the reason for the size of their halftime lead. And then we go back to the regular rotation once Demir's out of foul trouble. I haven't checked, but it seems that Demir got more minutes in the 2nd half than Ihnen and certainly more than Omersa.

I think I'd bite the bullet, accept the baggage and the inevitable bad press, and hire Chris Jans away from New Mexico State.

The guy can flat out coach, and has been a major winner everywhere he's been. Not yet 51 years old, so has some legs. The Bowling Green fiasco is half a decade old. He'd jump at the chance.

The Bowling Green fiasco is half a decade old. He'd jump at the chance.
I am sure that he would, but it's not his reluctance that will prevent him from getting the job. Dude was drunk in public and making inappropriate verbal comments and unwanted physical contact with women, right? No way the guy hired to replace Norwood Teague hires Jans.

I think I'd bite the bullet, accept the baggage and the inevitable bad press, and hire Chris Jans away from New Mexico State.

The guy can flat out coach, and has been a major winner everywhere he's been. Not yet 51 years old, so has some legs. The Bowling Green fiasco is half a decade old. He'd jump at the chance.

I agree. It was an ugly incident, but this wasn't Harvey Weinstein and everyone loves a redemption story, right?

if you are interested with a guy with some baggage, check out Steve Forbes ETSU. I’d put him up above Jans in coaching ability

Not advocating hiring right from D3, but Matt Fletcher has done an amazing job and has to be considered one of the best D3 coaches in the country. I think he has a huge future. The larger point is that between guys like Tim Miles, Craig Smith, Dave Joerger, Chad Walthall, Scott Nagy, Niko Medved, Phil and Ryan Saunders, and probably many more I'm forgetting...this region produces or cultivates more than our share of excellent basketball coaches. And I'm not even mentioning Eric Musselman and Brian Dutcher, who have roots or origins here. There's no shortage of talent out there and, more importantly, right here. The disadvantage is that, unlike Wisconsin, we don't have mid-major D1 schools like Green Bay and Milwaukee where Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan were able to work their way up, respectively.

"everywhere he's been" = a few short stints at various junior colleges.

Is Jans any more impressive than Scott Nagy, who has zero baggage?

Not advocating hiring right from D3, but Matt Fletcher has done an amazing job and has to be considered one of the best D3 coaches in the country. I think he has a huge future. The larger point is that between guys like Tim Miles, Craig Smith, Dave Joerger, Chad Walthall, Scott Nagy, Niko Medved, Phil and Ryan Saunders, and probably many more I'm forgetting...this region produces or cultivates more than our share of excellent basketball coaches. And I'm not even mentioning Eric Musselman and Brian Dutcher, who have roots or origins here. There's no shortage of talent out there and, more importantly, right here. The disadvantage is that, unlike Wisconsin, we don't have mid-major D1 schools like Green Bay and Milwaukee where Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan were able to work their way up, respectively.
You listed a bunch of guys that i would not call excellent.

Toxic.

Try Musselman. We need intense, tough, hard nosed basketball. He just signed with Arkansas so it may not happen. He recruited an insane class and has them back to respectable in one year.

There is some buzz he would be very interested.

Try Musselman. We need intense, tough, hard nosed basketball. He just signed with Arkansas so it may not happen. He recruited an insane class and has them back to respectable in one year.
Try . He has a strong family situation to stay where he is.

He would have come last year and would be interested again. By the way, who the hell are you?
OLD man, retired lawyer of coaches , part time advance scout. He could have ended his recruitment by a verbal last year. Who are you ?

Top Bottom