Pitino era is over, start the search now.

I've also heard nothing but good things that people have to say about Thorson.
I like both Smith and Medved. We could use an assistant that has in-roads in the HS scene and that 100% is Thorson. He would get MN kids without a doubt. I also think that a staff that would include Jared Nuness would be awesome!

I know you were not making this point directly to support Smith. So I'm not attacking your point directly here.....But if a guy has had a meal in Minnesota, could that check the "Minnesota Connection" box so then we can move on to the more important "Can he build a program" box?
I agree the program building is more of a priority, but what the Minnesota connection, or being from Minnesota, means to me is that the guy is gonna be here for a long time. It'd be great to lock a guy in and feel confident about him staying. I'm backing Medved.

I know you were not making this point directly to support Smith. So I'm not attacking your point directly here.....But if a guy has had a meal in Minnesota, could that check the "Minnesota Connection" box so then we can move on to the more important "Can he build a program" box?

I could care less if the coach has a MN connection or not, but some on here insist on it. For Smith it just happens to be a bonus.

I'm also sure any coach we would hire has had a meal or two here either via coaching/playing here or recruiting here.

I don't care if there is. He's dirty IMO and we will regret it.
From what I've read all of those problems happened prior to Drew getting there. He brought it back and then some. They've been dominant.

I could care less if the coach has a MN connection or not, but some on here insist on it. For Smith it just happens to be a bonus.

I'm also sure any coach we would hire has had a meal or two here either via coaching/playing here or recruiting here.
As long as that guy is prepared to stay on campus for a long time and make Minnesota a home that's fine with me.

As long as that guy is prepared to stay on campus for a long time and make Minnesota a home that's fine with me.

It would be great if we could find a guy that draws legitimate interest from other schools because then he would have clearly elevated the program to a point not seen here recently.

If this job is as good as others have made out to be -- facilities, local talent, resources, etc. -- then we shouldn't have a problem keeping somebody.

I understand. I made the meal reference in jest because the "Minnesota Connection" should be down the list of requirements. That said, I'm not against the idea of having a guy with connections (like a Thorson) as an assistant coach. Just don't limit ourselves to a smaller pool of head coach candidates to satisfy a provincial need to hire a Minnesota guy.

And what if he doesn't win and gets fired? Then what does it matter?
That's always a possibility with anybody. I agree looking for the next coach always starts with wins. I think Medved can do that. It's not just about Minnesota with him. Being from here is the bonus and leads me to believe there's no doubt he would take the job. There's also a handful of other guys that I think can win at a high level, so sure bring one of them in.

That's always a possibility with anybody. I agree looking for the next coach always starts with wins. I think Medved can do that. It's not just about Minnesota with him. Being from here is the bonus and leads me to believe there's no doubt he would take the job. There's also a handful of other guys that I think can win at a high level, so sure bring one of them in.

It seems like it is, based on your other comments. I'm not against Medved but Smith has a much better resume, and it's not really close.

I wonder what this years squad would have looked like with David Roddy on it. AVG 11.7 pts and 5 REB per game

It seems like it is, based on your other comments. I'm not against Medved but Smith has a much better resume, and it's not really close.
I like Smith. Truthfully I really like Thorson, especially with recruiting here in the Twin Cities area. He is the top assistant for Medved. If you take him away it's a different story. It's not just Medved, it's the whole staff. Being from Minnesota and winning aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both and being from Minnesota can support winning. And you get the same with Smith, I just haven't looked into his staff or really know anything else besides his resume, which yes is very good.

Fleck was a home run. Who's that guy then?
I think of the home runs as being Musselman, Dutcher and Drew. Any of those would be head-turning. The next step down would include Medved and Smith and perhaps others.

I think of the home runs as being Musselman, Dutcher and Drew. Any of those would be head-turning. The next step down would include Medved and Smith and perhaps others.
I think this impacts the basketball search: Did everybody feel like Fleck was a home run when we hired him? I know I did and I think many felt the same, but I also think there was an older crowd that didn't feel that way. Thoughts?

This may end up being the case with the basketball hire.

Hoping for a Utah State v CSU matchup on Friday night in the MWT.

I think this impacts the basketball search: Did everybody feel like Fleck was a home run when we hired him? I know I did and I think many felt the same, but I also think there was an older crowd that didn't feel that way. Thoughts?

This may end up being the case with the basketball hire.
I used the term head-turner because that's how I remember the Fleck hire. Maybe it didn't register that way with the grey-hairs, but I heard/read people around the country expressing surprise that the hottest young coaching prospect in the country would go here.

Any of those first three and I would really be excited. Most others would put me in a supportive but not excited mode.

T. J. Otzelberger is as well. Not a knock on Niko, just some good coaches there right now.

I definitely considered him as well. I think he has a little more to prove as he took over a good situation at South Dakota St, but is also doing a nice job this season.

I'm lookin at Smith, Nagy or Medved.
I'd put Nagy on my next-level-down from the "Fleck" level. I remember watching him coach when his teams came to Williams Arena, and I was impressed with the way he operates out there.

I'd put Nagy on my next-level-down from the "Fleck" level. I remember watching him coach when his teams came to Williams Arena, and I was impressed with the way he operates out there.
Nagy seems to be a very low key guy. He’s not likely to “win the press conference”, but that’s fine with me.

Is Shaka still getting fired? Texas has won 5 in a row.

Medved and Colorado State bowing out in the 1st round against 7 win Wyoming team tonight. Not a great look.

I'm a fairly new Gopher fan, and a Wyoming grad/fan. I know you don't base hires off one game, but Medved and CSU lost last night to a Wyoming team that might have the least talent in program history and quite possibly the worst coach in D1. I don't know much about the guy, but this has to raise eyebrows.

If someone is successful here, they likely won’t leave for any other job except a blue blood. That’s true whether they have MN connections or not. Coaches rarely leave a program going well for another job, unless that job has built in success like Kansas, Kentucky, etc. I just don’t get that ongoing worry...

And if the coach has enough here success that Kentucky and Kansas want him, if consider that a successful outcome and we would be in a good position for whoever the next coach his. If the worst thing that happens with a coaching hire is that they do so well a better job poaches them away, that's a win in my book.

Top Bottom