Pitino era is over, start the search now.

If the Gophers would have hired Brady Hoke to replace Brewster, and Hoke never made a bowl game here, would it have been a bad decision to fire Brewster?
you can't put Brewster and Pitino on the same playing field. Brewster was a total dumpster fire the minute he stepped on MN ground..... and still is.

Last edited:

Whoever we hire if we decide to move on, they don't need to be "one of us", they just need to fit our state and program. I don't think Pitino ever did.

you can put Brewster and Pitino on the same playing field. Brewster was a total dumpster fire the minute he stepped on MN ground..... and still is.

Take our Brew's first year (because football is different), there numbers are pretty close.

That said, it doesn't matter.

Firing Brew was the right thing to do regardless of if the next hire was a dumpster fire or a savior.

We are in year 7 of Pitino. We are under .500 and 12th in the Big 10. We're at that point with Pitino now too.

Whoever we hire if we decide to move on, they don't need to be "one of us", they just need to fit our state and program. I don't think Pitino ever did.

Absolutely right on part one.
Part 2- Maybe that's true. I think that he was just so young and made enough mistakes early that he was already being viewed as a potential failure by locals before he had his feet wet. First year was great considering what he had, but then, two disaster years and he was already on the hot seat with fans. He even made the false move early to entertain Arkansas' offer (after year 1?) which surely didn't help him any in terms of being viewed as a long term coach here. Lots of mistakes early, better in recent years. Not enough.

If we make this move, can we find a basketball coach and not worry about whether or not he has some "Minnesota connection"?
Of course we can. But the nice thing about someone with local or regional roots is that they're more likely to see this as a final destination. (For instance, Monson and Mason never bolted for another job, but they did flirt.) Besides, some GREAT coaching talent has come from the upper Midwest, not the least of which are Phil Jackson and Dale Brown. You don't have to look too hard to find a good candidate who comes from around here.

Of course we can. But the nice thing about someone with local or regional roots is that they're more likely to see this as a final destination. (For instance, Monson and Mason never bolted for another job, but they did flirt.) Besides, some GREAT coaching talent has come from the upper Midwest, not the least of which are Phil Jackson and Dale Brown. You don't have to look too hard to find a good candidate who comes from around here.

That might be true but I've come full circle on this. When Pitino was hired, there was quite a bit of angst on whether or not he would move once he had some success (myself included). However, wouldn't it be nice if the next coach (assuming there is one) elevated the program enough to actually worry about this again?

If this job is as good as some posters on this board would lead you to believe, then we shouldn't worry about the next coach viewing this as a final destination -- absent one of the very elite programs calling. If it isn't considered a final destination caliber job, maybe that is what needs to be addressed.

If someone is successful here, they likely won’t leave for any other job except a blue blood. That’s true whether they have MN connections or not. Coaches rarely leave a program going well for another job, unless that job has built in success like Kansas, Kentucky, etc. I just don’t get that ongoing worry...

If there is a new head coach, he doesn't have to be "local." but, hiring at least one assistant coach with local ties would be a smart move, to maintain or re-establish ties with the HS coaches and the all-powerful AAU community.

Or, find some can't miss 5* recruit and hire his dad as a coach. that never backfires.

If someone is successful here, they likely won’t leave for any other job except a blue blood. That’s true whether they have MN connections or not. Coaches rarely leave a program going well for another job, unless that job has built in success like Kansas, Kentucky, etc. I just don’t get that ongoing worry...
You're preaching to the choir; that's been what I've been saying all along including about the football coach. Just saying that it adds a degree of stability to the situation. I don't think that can be denied.

No decent coach will want to coach here given the facilities.

The more I hear about Beilein he sounds like Tubby 2.0. Left for the NBA because he's 67 and didn't like the college grind. Maybe the pressure is less at MN than Michigan, but I just don't see it happening.
So true. 67 might be fine for getting elected POTUS, but this is NCAA basketball where coaches have to work hard under pressure. We need a younger man.

So true. 67 might be fine for getting elected POTUS, but this is NCAA basketball where coaches have to work hard under pressure. We need a younger man.
I think I heard that if Bill Clinton were on the debate stage last night he'd be the third youngest. Did I hear that right?

One way or another, this I know (or would be willing to bet three figures of cash on): if Mark Coyle reached out to Craig Smith shortly after the season in some way, shape or form, Smith would say yes. I think it would be as simple as that.

I know of another guy who played at UND, like Jackson ...

Obviously I’m pathetically in the bag for CS. But I’ll keep an open mind and support Coyle’s decision (as long as he makes the correct decision:devilish:)

One way or another, this I know (or would be willing to bet three figures of cash on): if Mark Coyle reached out to Craig Smith shortly after the season in some way, shape or form, Smith would say yes. I think it would be as simple as that.
I’m hoping a quiet negotiation has already been going on in the background between Coyle and Smith’s agent.

You're preaching to the choir; that's been what I've been saying all along including about the football coach. Just saying that it adds a degree of stability to the situation. I don't think that can be denied.
Agreed.

Doogie mentioned on 1500 today that Scott Drew and Mike Miller would be or are interested.

Big money!

Remember when Norwood fired Tubby and it was lock that we were gonna hire Shaka Smart? Remember when Maturi fired Mason and we hired Brewster? Remember when we fired Brewster and hired Kill? It seems like we always get the 6th or 7th best choice of possible applicants. Fleck and Tubby are the only 2 big time hires during my adult life and Tubby fell in our lap and turned out mediocre. Maybe Coyle is better at this process and I should trust in him.

Remember when Norwood fired Tubby and it was lock that we were gonna hire Shaka Smart? Remember when Maturi fired Mason and we hired Brewster? Remember when we fired Brewster and hired Kill? It seems like we always get the 6th or 7th best choice of possible applicants. Fleck and Tubby are the only 2 big time hires during my adult life and Tubby fell in our lap and turned out mediocre. Maybe Coyle is better at this process and I should trust in him.
By some accounts, Fleck was a top candidate to get an upgrade from a G5 to a P5 program and had a list of 10 schools he would consider. We were one, but Coyle still had to go out and get him.

Coyle has proven to be significantly more competent than Maturi and the biggest bozo of them all Teague. Having a good AD and strong President make jobs more desirable too.

Are you sure Doogie didn't say Bryce Drew?

He said Scott Drew, but yeah seems odd, but I'm sure it came from someone in Nuness's camp. Who knows though. If we got Drew somehow, people would have to accept that lower recruiting rankings in conference and transfers are ok, which apparently can be a stretch lol

$cott Drew will have us wishing for Clem Haskins. Avoid.

Coyle has proven to be significantly more competent than Maturi and the biggest bozo of them all Teague. Having a good AD and strong President make jobs more desirable too.

This is the big one. We now have a great AD and athletics is being supported at a level not seen before at the U or M. We play in the very best conference in the land as well with a brand new practice facility. I would think this job is plenty attractive.

Same result the last 2 home games. We get a lead and completely lose it in the 2nd half. No points in the last 5:25 in the last game, and only ONE field goal in the last 7:18 in the game today. The team looked like it was being coached by parent, at a local health club gym.
Sorry to pile on, but we got outscored 10-1 in the last 2 minutes. These late game situations do not change.

Top Bottom