PiPress:U has been contacted to ask about possibly hiring Tracy Claeys

Former Goofer

Reaction score
Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow 12m
#Gophers DC Tracy Claeys said today Minnesota has been contacted once this season by a program interested in him as a head coach.
Expand
Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow 9m
Claeys said he's willing to listen to an opportunity but it would be really hard to split with Kill, who he's been with for 20 yrs. #Gophers
Expand

Go Gophers!

We may as well get used to this. It will only become more common as we continue winning.

can we open the wallet for this guy? we need to keep the group together for a little longer before we start breaking up the mojo

The headline of this thread is pretty misleading. This isn't the first time Claeys has been honest about other job opportunities, he has said before he'll always listen. I think he'll get a pay raise but I'm not too worried about losing him yet.

The headline of this thread is pretty misleading. This isn't the first time Claeys has been honest about other job opportunities, he has said before he'll always listen. I think he'll get a pay raise but I'm not too worried about losing him yet.

Beat me to it.

Agreed, jaymil. He even said that in an interview, so unless something suddenly happens, I am not too worried either.

I hope we can keep the staff intact for at least a few more years to where we have hopefully established ourselves as a good program. I don't expect them to stay together forever. I hope they do but it is highly unlikely. And losing coaches to better positions (especially someone becoming a head coach) can be a positive thing too. It means you have good people running your program. It means Kill knows how to recognize coaching talent, and knows how to teach.

Extremely misleading title. May as well start a thread saying that Brewster is the new coach at NDSU as well. Mods should fix it.

Not saying he would leave, but Claeys is a single guy. It will be easier for him to pack up and leave if he gets a good offer.

I'd certainly like to keep the staff together for a few more years before they break up. I don't think we are where we need to be yet before we can start swapping out coaching positions and remain competitive like Wisconsin can.

He won't get an FBS or top tier FCS position. That's a no brainer.

Maybe a middling D-II program or lower FCS program might ask about him? Possible.

EMU just hired a coach out of non-scholly FCS. He'd won consistently at three different programs.

Right now FBS level openings are Arkansas State, Bowling Green, and FAU. The only one that would seem to make sense is BGU. Claeys has previously said, it has to be the right opportunity, at the right time, I'm not sure it is at this time.

Is this an attempt at a troll thread? There's no hint there of anything other than he's been contacted, will listen, but it will take quit a bit for him to leave. In other words, the same situation most other good coaches are faced with on an ongoing basis.

Anyone with "Goofer" in their name is pretty much a verified Troll.
Why do we not ban these guys quicker?

This info being posted here is nothing new. I think I read those same quotes about a month ago. This is just an attempt to stir the pot.

Anyone with "Goofer" in their name is pretty much a verified Troll.
Why do we not ban these guys quicker?

This info being posted here is nothing new. I think I read those same quotes about a month ago. This is just an attempt to stir the pot.

Agreed.

Maybe a middling D-II program or lower FCS program might ask about him? Possible.

EMU just hired a coach out of non-scholly FCS. He'd won consistently at three different programs.

Why? There are plenty of examples of guys with less experience getting FBS positions. We don't have to look very far for a pretty easy example of that.

Here is a link to the article posted this evening by the Pioneer Press: Gophers football: U has been contacted to ask about possibly hiring Tracy Claeys

But Claeys, who has been on Kill's staff for 20 years, said Friday that a program had made contact with the University of Minnesota about being interested in him.

"It's happened once already this season," Claeys said. "We'll just see how it plays out. (Kill) would be the first one to make a phone call for me and help me if that's something I wanted to do."

"It's a great honor to be a coordinator at the highest level the game can be played, so to leave that, I don't know how much I'd do that," Claeys said. "Don't get me wrong, if something presents itself, I'll make sure I listen. Because back deep in everyone's mind, you'd like to say, 'Boy, I can lead my own football team.' I believe I could, and be successful. But at the same time, I'm only 44. I've got enough time later on."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24722405/gophers-football-u-has-been-contacted-ask-about

Go Gophers!!

Studwell thinks a sitting AQ coordinator under zero duress is going to go to a DII school, or that a DII school would waste its time even inquiring?

You're smarter than that, Stud.

We updated the thread title to reflect the Pioneer Press' headline on the Claeys story.

FSN: Gophers' Tracy Claeys entertaining head coaching offers

"Tracy's done a good job, but all our guys have done a good job, so they've stepped it up," Kill said. "People have known coach Claeys for a long time. We get more exposure here because of the media. That's a good thing. There's much more exposure here than other places. It's no surprise. This is what we've been doing."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ntertaining-head-c?blockID=972637&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

With the above in mind, why not stay here and have a shot at head coach some day? Assuming Gophers become consistently a threat in the B1G.

I've said it before, give Claeys at least a $100K raise and new title along the lines of Asst. HC / DC. Not only is he worth it, I believe it would keep him from going anywhere.

I've said it before, give Claeys at least a $100K raise and new title along the lines of Asst. HC / DC. Not only is he worth it, I believe it would keep him from going anywhere.

He already makes more the Phil Parker who has been at Iowa for 13 years (last two as DC, prior to that DB coach) and has been part of a staff that's had their team finish in the top 10 in the nation 3 times.

I admire what Claeys has done with the defense, but I think people are overestimating the amount of interest their is in him nationally. If he truly wants a shot to be a head coach at a major institution, he couldn't be more perfectly positioned (considering his resume) that he is at Minnesota.

I'm kind of surprised how quickly people seem to be writing this off. I don't necessarily think the offers in question are good enough to pull him away, but I also don't think it's out of the question for an FBS team to offer him a HC position. And it wouldn't exactly be unheard of for him to take it. He's been a coordinator for almost 15 years, including three successful seasons at a BCS program. Unlike most coordinators, he now also has experience as an acting head coach at a major program, and in that time he presided over one of the most successful recent stretches for that program while navigating a very tricky situation while getting a lot of negative attention from the media due to Kills health problems. When you take into account the first-hand experience he has being around a stable staff that builds programs for a living, it's pretty obvious why a lot of teams would want him as their head coach. What he's done here has been incredibly impressive.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I even think it's likely he goes after this season, but it wouldn't shock me. What would shock me if he continues performing like he has and he's still here two years from now (unless he's here with an understanding that he's something like a successor-in-waiting to Kill).

He makes almost $400k here.

Who could pay him that much?

I'm guessing an FCS school that could pay him as much or more. But we know that NDSU paid around $350k.

So who's asking? Maybe a search agency is just asking around….

If Tracy really, really wanted to be a head coach, he could do it at the DII level right now (maybe?). So (yes) that's not an insane thought.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is silly. But what do I know!

Why? There are plenty of examples of guys with less experience getting FBS positions. We don't have to look very far for a pretty easy example of that.

Exactly what I was thinking, there is no reason Claeys wouldn't be ready for the big time. With what Kill and his staff have done at other programs and so far here at the U of M I don't think it’s out of the? I believe there are some FBS programs that would be willing to take a chance on Clayes before he becomes too hot of a commodity.

If Tracy really, really wanted to be a head coach, he could do it at the DII level right now (maybe?). So (yes) that's not an insane thought.

Yes. Yes it is.

First of all, I'm 99.9% certain there's not a DII job in the country that would pay him even half of what he makes now. No one takes a pay cut, especially a massive one, for a "promotion".

Second, no one drops down three levels (low FBS, FCS, DII) to take an HC job. Find me an example of this happening, ever, in the FCS era and I'll bow to your supposed genius.

Lastly, there are many sitting AQ coaches whose last job was the same one Claeys currently holds. And Claeys is going to take a job at Duluth or Mankato? Don't be dense. It's almost as if you've never paid any attention to how the coaching profession works.

At 44 the clock is ticking. If he has to make a move it has to be in the next four years.

It will take some time build a team of loyal coaches and grow up into bigger and better programs like what Coach Kill has done.

If these group of coaches stay together under Coach Kill, we have a potential of becoming a powerhouse football program. Maybe, and that is a maybe, if Kill steps down in retirement then Coach Claeys can take over. This team of coaches are like a well oiled machine.

Personality wise, Coach Claeys seem to shy from the limelight. It will be interesting to see how he is able to handle being at the center of attention and the stresses that come with that role.

It is all about comfort level. Whichever way he goes, I think he can be very successful.

Top Bottom