PiPress:U has been contacted to ask about possibly hiring Tracy Claeys

He won't get an FBS or top tier FCS position. That's a no brainer.

Maybe a middling D-II program or lower FCS program might ask about him? Possible.

EMU just hired a coach out of non-scholly FCS. He'd won consistently at three different programs.

Huh? I'm sorry, but that is not a very smart statement and you only have to look at Coach & staff's previous stop to prove how not smart this is. NIU hired Dave Doeren to succeed JK and he had been the DC at Wisconsin for five years before that. He went on to NC State from there. NIU then hired the OC from Doeren's staff to succeed him. Coach Claeys has done a very good job and could easily take control of the BGSU job if there was mutual interest. If he has the desire to be a head coach, good for him and hope he gets a great job. MAC HC jobs probably pay very similar to what he makes now and many MAC coaches have jumped to AQ jobs: JK, Randy Walker, Dave Clawson, & some guy named Urban Meyer have done pretty good with MAC HC on their resumes. That is all.

When u lose a assistant coach you are not just losing 1 coach u would lose atleast 3 guys... Claeys would take atleast 2 guys to be offense and defense coordinators and a few other guys that want to move up in position.. I hope claeys stays around to build this thing up more yet.. Cross our fingers.

Huh? I'm sorry, but that is not a very smart statement and you only have to look at Coach & staff's previous stop to prove how not smart this is. NIU hired Dave Doeren to succeed JK and he had been the DC at Wisconsin for five years before that. He went on to NC State from there. NIU then hired the OC from Doeren's staff to succeed him. Coach Claeys has done a very good job and could easily take control of the BGSU job if there was mutual interest. If he has the desire to be a head coach, good for him and hope he gets a great job. MAC HC jobs probably pay very similar to what he makes now and many MAC coaches have jumped to AQ jobs: JK, Randy Walker, Dave Clawson, & some guy named Urban Meyer have done pretty good with MAC HC on their resumes. That is all.

Of course coordinators get hired all the time--typically from extremely successful programs.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see serious interest in the coordinator of a team with our past performance.

I just looked up some salaries. The list of schools that could afford to give him a raise is pretty short.

And with that I'm done speculating about an issue where we're all under-informed.

Of course coordinators get hired all the time--typically from extremely successful programs.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see serious interest in the coordinator of a team with our past performance.

I just looked up some salaries. The list of schools that could afford to give him a raise is pretty short.

And with that I'm done speculating about an issue where we're all under-informed.

I think you're making two different arguments though. No one is saying that he would definitely get a head coaching position where he would get paid more than he is now. Earlier you said he had virtually no shot of getting a FBS job and would probably have to go down to D2 to be a head coach. The point is there are numerous examples of coaches who have less experience than Clays that were given FBS head coaching jobs.

It took me less than 3 minutes to find another example in Jeff Quinn at Buffalo. He was an Offensive Coordinator at Central Michigan (04-06) and Cincinnati (06-09) before taking over as head coach at Buffalo in 2010.

If you read the article closely it doesn't specifically state that the contact is about a head coaching position--it's assumed.

My thinking is that Claeys is on the short-list for Notre Dame to replace Diaco. (I know he'd be on mine.) And that could be a problem.

I don't think Claeys will be on the short list for any jobs that would be a step up over what he has now. If I'm wrong and he moves Jerry I'm sure has someone on the staff now that he would elevate and the program keeps moving on. Of all the things to be worried about losing any of our coaches isn't one of them.

I don't think anything other than a head coaching job would cause Claeys to move. The only current opening that would make sense is Bowling Green. From what I've read they are most likely to hire a coach with an offensive background.

Claeys needs a bump in pay and a buyout clause. He is a D1 level coach and he could easily take over a program in need of a winner. This guy has great credentials. The turnaround this year is due in great part to his leadership. Why wouldn't he be sought after? You can not deny his value to the program and Minnesota needs to step up to keep him here. If you want to keep the program moving forward, all the major assistants need a nice bump in pay. Minnesota needs to start leading in pay, instead of following the pack. The time is now to make that change. With as many students and ticket holders going to the bowl game, it is time to recognize that we can draw fans if the fans are treated with more consideration than simply their dollar value to the program. This will provide the basis for raising the pay of the staff and make it competitive enough to stave off the competition for a while longer.

Brick by brick, includes incenting the coaches to stick around and continue to work hard at developing the program. If there are inquiries, their is no time like the present to offer a better contract to Claeys and let him know how much we would like to have him around for a longer period of time.

Amen.

I don't think Claeys will be on the short list for any jobs that would be a step up over what he has now. If I'm wrong and he moves Jerry I'm sure has someone on the staff now that he would elevate and the program keeps moving on. Of all the things to be worried about losing any of our coaches isn't one of them.

The question is not whether we have someone who can step up. The question is will we have an equal or greater coach than Claeys. Who would you promote that can do the job. Not one person on GH has ever suggested a potential internal replacement for Claeys on this thread and none on any other that I am aware. We also pay the worst in the B!G at all levels of the staff. Do you think we will keep winning if we start to bleed staff? The last 2 head coaches suffered through this kind of attrition and it had a definite effect on wins and loses with more losses and fewer wins. It affected recruiting. It affected revenue. These guys are not as replaceable without serious secondary effects, of which, the losses could be in the tune of hundreds of thousands or even several million dollars in revenue, depending on his value. I think Claeys value is between 17 - 21 percent of revenue on a napkin estimate. Of course that could be lower or even higher. But, the essential fact is that he is vested in the success of the program and losing him would be a larger loss than most everyone estimates. Maybe 30 DC do it better than TC. All of them are currently earning more than TC. How is losing TC good for the program. Just the cost of recruiting a replacement is worth a considerable amount toward a higher base salary.

Search firms usually get paid 1/3 of the first years salary for an executive, of which a DC of a B!G school, would be. Plus, they get expenses, such as airfare, hotels, meals, etc. So, replacement gets to be very expensive and there is no guarantee that the replacement will be worth the cost of hire, nonetheless get a return on the investment.

Keeping Claeys makes the most sense for the mid- to long-term. Proactively keeping poachers away by giving him and other valued staff better comp is a no brainer at this point.

This is all I will say on the matter.

Claeys needs a bump in pay and a buyout clause. He is a D1 level coach and he could easily take over a program in need of a winner. This guy has great credentials. The turnaround this year is due in great part to his leadership. Why wouldn't he be sought after? You can not deny his value to the program and Minnesota needs to step up to keep him here. If you want to keep the program moving forward, all the major assistants need a nice bump in pay. Minnesota needs to start leading in pay, instead of following the pack. The time is now to make that change. With as many students and ticket holders going to the bowl game, it is time to recognize that we can draw fans if the fans are treated with more consideration than simply their dollar value to the program. This will provide the basis for raising the pay of the staff and make it competitive enough to stave off the competition for a while longer.

Brick by brick, includes incenting the coaches to stick around and continue to work hard at developing the program. If there are inquiries, their is no time like the present to offer a better contract to Claeys and let him know how much we would like to have him around for a longer period of time.

Could you please backup your comments with some facts! It is my understanding that the assistant coaches pay under Kill was right up towards towards the top of the B1G, not like it was in the past. That was part of the deal where Kill took less and gave more to his assistants, builds loyalty and makes it harder to steal them.

I am not disagreeing with the concept that the U should pay well, I just think your facts may be wrong.

Also, being a head coach is not everyone's dream. There are a lot more headaches and garbage that some guys just don't want to deal with on a daily basis. Sure, everyone of the coaches feel they would be a great head coach, but if you take your ego out of it, it may not be as much fun. Most coaches get into coaching because they love teaching the players and the direct interaction with the players. A head coach spends a lot more time with administration, PR, glad handing, speeches, politics, mediation etc..., and not as much time being a coach.

In answer to who would be an internal candidate to replace Claeys it would be Bill Miller. I don't think that we have to worry about it this year, in 2 to 3 years, definitely.

What jobs? The only FBS jobs currently available are Arkansas State, Bowling Green, and FAU, and I haven't heard his name mentioned in connection with any of those.

I suppose if he really wanted to get an opportunity to be a head coach he could go to the FCS, but that would take both a pay cut, and probably wouldn't get him any closer to being an FBS coach.

I'm not worried about losing Claeys or Limegrover at all.

Additionally, here's a guy who's not only been a coordinator but an acting coach that did a fine job in that role.

Could you please backup your comments with some facts! It is my understanding that the assistant coaches pay under Kill was right up towards towards the top of the B1G, not like it was in the past. That was part of the deal where Kill took less and gave more to his assistants, builds loyalty and makes it harder to steal them.

I am not disagreeing with the concept that the U should pay well, I just think your facts may be wrong.

Also, being a head coach is not everyone's dream. There are a lot more headaches and garbage that some guys just don't want to deal with on a daily basis. Sure, everyone of the coaches feel they would be a great head coach, but if you take your ego out of it, it may not be as much fun. Most coaches get into coaching because they love teaching the players and the direct interaction with the players. A head coach spends a lot more time with administration, PR, glad handing, speeches, politics, mediation etc..., and not as much time being a coach.

NM

The list of teams that currently are open may be few. BFD.

Well, it is kind of a big deal. It is highly unlikely that Tracy Claeys gets hired for a head coaching position that is already filled.

He won't get an FBS or top tier FCS position. That's a no brainer.

Maybe a middling D-II program or lower FCS program might ask about him? Possible.

EMU just hired a coach out of non-scholly FCS. He'd won consistently at three different programs.

Surprise! Another GH'er issues a statement of fact about a situation over which he has neither knowledge or control.

If he is going to do it, now is the time. His stock is at its peak.

The question is not whether we have someone who can step up. The question is will we have an equal or greater coach than Claeys. Who would you promote that can do the job. Not one person on GH has ever suggested a potential internal replacement for Claeys on this thread and none on any other that I am aware. We also pay the worst in the B!G at all levels of the staff. Do you think we will keep winning if we start to bleed staff? The last 2 head coaches suffered through this kind of attrition and it had a definite effect on wins and loses with more losses and fewer wins. It affected recruiting. It affected revenue. These guys are not as replaceable without serious secondary effects, of which, the losses could be in the tune of hundreds of thousands or even several million dollars in revenue, depending on his value. I think Claeys value is between 17 - 21 percent of revenue on a napkin estimate. Of course that could be lower or even higher. But, the essential fact is that he is vested in the success of the program and losing him would be a larger loss than most everyone estimates. Maybe 30 DC do it better than TC. All of them are currently earning more than TC. How is losing TC good for the program. Just the cost of recruiting a replacement is worth a considerable amount toward a higher base salary.

Search firms usually get paid 1/3 of the first years salary for an executive, of which a DC of a B!G school, would be. Plus, they get expenses, such as airfare, hotels, meals, etc. So, replacement gets to be very expensive and there is no guarantee that the replacement will be worth the cost of hire, nonetheless get a return on the investment.

Keeping Claeys makes the most sense for the mid- to long-term. Proactively keeping poachers away by giving him and other valued staff better comp is a no brainer at this point.

This is all I will say on the matter.

Mason had the issues you describe but Brew lost assistants I would guess because he was a moron and coaches went running from the building as fast as possible. Our asst coaches are paid well and I trust that Kill has a poa in place if any of his coaches leave. That seems like low hanging fruit for Jerry he's I'm sure one step ahead of pretty much anything that could happen within his program. Let's also be honest a lot of programs fans would be aghast at a 350 lb nerdy looking dude who never played college ball and isn't in Jerry's league from a charisma aspect as the face of their program. Claeys has an uphill battle there. I love him, but not as a HC.

Yea, it's unlikely that Claeys would seriously be considered head coaching material at any level. That would be like someone handing the keys of a Big Ten program to a tight end coach with absolutely no head coaching experience...

Yea, it's unlikely that Claeys would seriously be considered head coaching material at any level. That would be like someone handing the keys of a Big Ten program to a tight end coach with absolutely no head coaching experience...

How would those two things be in any way similar?

Plus, Brewster did have head coaching experience...

Top Bottom