PiPress:U has been contacted to ask about possibly hiring Tracy Claeys

Army has let their coach go. Is Claeys the type of guy they would target?

I think the question is: How valuable is Tracy Claeys to us? We don't really know do we? Jerry Kill has a much better idea. Could Jay Sawvel step up and replace Claeys without skipping a beat? If Claeys gets a head job we likely lose 2, 3, 4 other assistants who leave with him. It's how it usually works....would it, with the loyalty to Kill? The cost to hire new people will be hundreds of thousands to find equal or better replacements with increased salaries and the cost of hiring. The fear, disruption, angst to recruits will have to be overcome. Does our momentum halt as a result?

Many say Claeys is well paid right now at almost $400k. Football Scoop has this: Michigan State: Spartan Nation is reporting that Michigan State is working on a new deal for defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi worth between $800,000 and $875,000 with bonuses that would bring the total compensation to just under $1 million

I don't believe we need to go there but paying Tracy Claeys $500k and telling him how much we love him to retain him for another year or two seems pretty much a good business decision at the moment, to me.
We need to keep this thing together right now! Moving forward without unnecessary interruptions to progress or continuity.

This seems like a nobrainer to me but so does publicizing fundraising...so?

I think the question is: How valuable is Tracy Claeys to us? We don't really know do we? Jerry Kill has a much better idea. Could Jay Sawvel step up and replace Claeys without skipping a beat? If Claeys gets a head job we likely lose 2, 3, 4 other assistants who leave with him. It's how it usually works....would it, with the loyalty to Kill? The cost to hire new people will be hundreds of thousands to find equal or better replacements with increased salaries and the cost of hiring. The fear, disruption, angst to recruits will have to be overcome. Does our momentum halt as a result?

Many say Claeys is well paid right now at almost $400k. Football Scoop has this: Michigan State: Spartan Nation is reporting that Michigan State is working on a new deal for defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi worth between $800,000 and $875,000 with bonuses that would bring the total compensation to just under $1 million

I don't believe we need to go there but paying Tracy Claeys $500k and telling him how much we love him to retain him for another year or two seems pretty much a good business decision at the moment, to me.
We need to keep this thing together right now! Moving forward without unnecessary interruptions to progress or continuity.

This seems like a nobrainer to me but so does publicizing fundraising...so?

Yup.

How would those two things be in any way similar?

Plus, Brewster did have head coaching experience...

You call head coaching at a high school experience- or his one year as an assistant head coach at SD?

Mason had the issues you describe but Brew lost assistants I would guess because he was a moron and coaches went running from the building as fast as possible. Our asst coaches are paid well and I trust that Kill has a poa in place if any of his coaches leave. That seems like low hanging fruit for Jerry he's I'm sure one step ahead of pretty much anything that could happen within his program. Let's also be honest a lot of programs fans would be aghast at a 350 lb nerdy looking dude who never played college ball and isn't in Jerry's league from a charisma aspect as the face of their program. Claeys has an uphill battle there. I love him, but not as a HC.

Why would that be your guess?

Withers took a pay bump and a return to his homestate.
Roof took got a pay bump and went to the SEC.
Dunbar was essentially canned.
Fisch was a bizarre case. He seemed to be forced out, more or less. Gopher fans were blaming him for ruining Adam Weber (he hasn't ruined any other QBs since then) and the offense was struggling. You could maybe make an argument that Fisch ran away from Brew because he was moron, but Fisch was really unpopular here when he left.

So yeah, I can't think of anyone who seemed to be run off. Brews problem is that he had a good eye for talented coaches. Losing Roof and Withers really stung, but it was because they were good coaches and we couldn't afford to keep them. They were essentially hired guns and we didn't have the funds to match their coaching acumen.

You call head coaching at a high school experience- or his one year as an assistant head coach at SD?

Yes, I accurately call HS head coaching experience head coaching experience. I don't know what else one would call it.

I wouldn't count assistant head coaching as head coaching experience, and don't know why anyone would.

Why would that be your guess?
Why do most people say the things they do around here?

Withers took a pay bump and a return to his homestate.
Roof took got a pay bump and went to the SEC.
Dunbar was essentially canned.
Fisch was a bizarre case. He seemed to be forced out, more or less. Gopher fans were blaming him for ruining Adam Weber (he hasn't ruined any other QBs since then) and the offense was struggling. You could maybe make an argument that Fisch ran away from Brew because he was moron, but Fisch was really unpopular here when he left.

So yeah, I can't think of anyone who seemed to be run off. Brews problem is that he had a good eye for talented coaches. Losing Roof and Withers really stung, but it was because they were good coaches and we couldn't afford to keep them. They were essentially hired guns and we didn't have the funds to match their coaching acumen.
Not to mention John Butler, now defensive coordinator at Penn State, or George McDonald, now offensive coordinator at Syracuse.

Texas job is opening up too. ;)

Vikings too.
Actually it is interesting to hear they may be interested in the PSU coach. As a Gopher fan it is always good to have your opponents go through coaching changes.

Yes, I accurately call HS head coaching experience head coaching experience. I don't know what else one would call it.

I wouldn't count assistant head coaching as head coaching experience, and don't know why anyone would.

Says the guy who defended Brewster more than anyone when he took credit for wins as an assistant coach in his offical U of M bio.

Says the guy who defended Brewster more than anyone when he took credit for wins as an assistant coach in his offical U of M bio.

Indeed. Those two things are perfectly consistent and coherent.

Top Bottom