Per 247 and "HugeShow" the job has been offered to PJ Fleck

Did anyone notice Fleck wasn't wearing socks on the sidelines against Wisconsin? No socks, no want!

Only thing worse would be a pony tail!

In PJ's defense, maybe he had those "no-show" socks inside his shoes.

Ive been reading for a while and finally decided to reset the password and start posting again.

My thing with Fleck is I understand his attitude could rub people the wrong way. But here is a guy who has stated a desire to stay in the midwest and is young. He could move on yes. He could fail and be fired. But he might just be the guy. The guy who could camp out here for 20 years and set us up longterm. Return us to prominence. Likely no but at least now I feel like he at least could be. That is something I didnt feel under Claeys. Never felt that under Kill either.

So at this point why not take the shot. In my opinion and he is one of the few guys that gives us that opportunity.

Actually, that is exactly how I felt about Kill/Claeys. I don't worry about hiring guys that would stick around, but I think they definitely would have. No way this jack wagon Fleck sticks around if he's hired and has success here...but I can't see him having success here.

Did anyone notice Fleck wasn't wearing socks on the sidelines against Wisconsin? No socks, no want!

If good enough for Trump's mob buddy, and Albert Einstein, so be it. May need 2 pair for those November games at TCF, though.

I'm going to enjoy the Fleck hiring meltdown here.

Hasn't even happened and some are already in meltdown mode. If Fleck is hired the meltdown would be epic even for GHole standards.

Actually, that is exactly how I felt about Kill/Claeys. I don't worry about hiring guys that would stick around, but I think they definitely would have. No way this jack wagon Fleck sticks around if he's hired and has success here...but I can't see him having success here.

The thing with Kill is eventually his health was going to get him. It was my concern the day we hired him and it turned out to be right. In my opinion to get to where all gopher fans want to go we are going to need sustain success at a level higher than Claeys/Kill were able to provide. In my opinion if you have success in MN and elevate the program there are not going to be much midwest jobs that are better. Hate to say it but look at Wisconsin, are there many jobs in this area that are better? I would argue no.

I agree. It's kind of typical Minnesotan that we are so concerned how somebody acts or appears. Glen smiled too much. Brewster was too much a cheer leader. Claeys wasn't animated enough and wasn't skinny enough. Everybody falls short of the perfect Minnesota coach - Grant. He was Stoic and won.
Personally, I don't care if the coach stands on his head the whole game and farts The Star Spangled Banner, as long as he wins and runs a clean program with high APR.
I'm becoming convinced we should only marry other Minnesotans as no one else meets our standards of behavior and decorum. Joking just a little there.

Is that like 'Whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of his ICEhole?

LSU just hired Ed Orgeron full-time, we can do far worse than PJ Fleck.

Ok, so if he beats Wisconsin you can stay home and be embarrassed. If he gets to the Big Ten title game you can stay home embarrassed. 13-0 is snake oil? Playing the Badgers tougher than any Gopher coach in the last decade with a MAC team? I'd be more embarrassed by that. Palease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seemed like the game was kind of a foregone conclusion. I would have never been worried if I was a Sconnie fan. I'd like to think we've had'em worried a couple times in the last ten years. Maybe we haven't.

Ive been reading for a while and finally decided to reset the password and start posting again.

My thing with Fleck is I understand his attitude could rub people the wrong way. But here is a guy who has stated a desire to stay in the midwest and is young. He could move on yes. He could fail and be fired. But he might just be the guy. The guy who could camp out here for 20 years and set us up longterm. Return us to prominence. Likely no but at least now I feel like he at least could be. That is something I didnt feel under Claeys. Never felt that under Kill either.

So at this point why not take the shot. In my opinion and he is one of the few guys that gives us that opportunity.

+1

If by hiring Fleck, or any other coach, we would get 2 undefeated seasons, 4 conference championships, and a 125-52 record over 14 seasons; then I would love to be like Utah. Urban Meyer put Utah football on the map.

+1

Well, there's this.

JoeChristensenVerified account ‏@JoeCStrib 1h1 hour ago
Source familiar with Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck's situation said Minnesota has not made an offer.

I'm sure that Fleck's agent isn't real big on waiting around for them to open the season against USC next year. Take a big time job when you can. Agent get the commission sooner. Fleck gets the salary sooner. Gophers get their target sooner. win-win-win

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does anyone really buy this? If they met with Fleck, unless he told Kaler to go F himself, they offered.

I'm not a big fan of the antics. I'm not saying you have to be Mr Stoic on the sidelines - but there's a balance between stone-faced and jumping around like a lunatic.

Look, Fleck has done some impressive things at a lower level program. But, until he moves up to a major conference, there are no guarantees that he will have an equivalent level of success at the next level. Some guys make it work - some don't. It's like moving a top prospect from Triple A to the majors. Sometimes you get Kirby Puckett - sometimes you get B J Garbe.

To some extent, Fleck is a gamble. What the odds are, I can't say. But if you hire Fleck, you are betting on potential. Sometimes potential is realized - sometimes it's not.

I won't predict success - I won't predict failure. I have no idea.

I will say this - if Coyle and Kaler hire Fleck, and he doesn't turn out - they will be following him out the door. He is not (IMHO) a "safe" choice. A safe choice would be someone who has a track record at a major conference.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does anyone really buy this? If they met with Fleck, unless he told Kaler to go F himself, they offered.

If Fleck turned them down then they always say no offer was given. Saves face for both sides. I hope this isn't the case.

Joe SchmitVerified account
‏@JoeSchmitKSTP
I can confirm that #Gophers AD Mark Coyle and Pres Eric Kaler did meet with PJ Fleck today in Chicago. Nothing official yet....

And for the record, I don't follow these people so I dont know who is credible or not!

I think Harsin would be a very bad hire. His team just got absolutely blown out by a mediocre Baylor team who had lost 6 in a row and lost to Wyoming this year. I'd take Bohl and a lot of others over Harsin.

Tough decision for Fleck. He wants to move up but does he want to come to Minnesota, where most coaches flame out (except Lou Holtz). Also, what does he think of what just happened? It'll all come down to if Coyle and Kaler connected with him and sold him.

I think it would be a great hire. Think it would probably be one of, if not, the absolute best hires we could hope for. Would create instant excitement among a majority of the fans. He may be too good, too big, and too dynamic for Minnesota though. Would he be a good fit at Minnesota? Will be interesting to see what he decides tomorrow.

All flame out but Holtz? Stupid. What kind of fan are you?

And for the record, I don't follow these people so I dont know who is credible or not!

Lots of negotiations don't involve an actual offer until the very end when all of the terms have been "hypothetically agreed upon". Plausible deniability is important.

Lots of negotiations don't involve an actual offer until the very end when all of the terms have been "hypothetically agreed upon". Plausible deniability is important.

That's exactly what happened with Maturi and Hoke.

All flame out but Holtz? Stupid. What kind of fan are you?

Name the coaches who haven't been fired from Minnesota in the last 40 years, I'll wait here. It's simply reality.

Top Bottom