Per 247 and "HugeShow" the job has been offered to PJ Fleck

Joe Christensen reporting opposite.
Nobody has any idea what they're talking about. Best news is the talks have heated to the point where we will likely hear Fleck make a statement of some sort tomorrow.

I watched that Wisconsin game. I'd be embarrassed to have a coach jumping around like a clown on our sidelines like he was. I read some WMU boards yesterday. Didn't take long to find plenty of their fans that aren't pleased with his self-centeredness and egomania. Lots of Gopher fans love the taste of snake oil though...

This.

I actually enjoyed watching Kill rebuild your program. I have said before that it reminded me of the early Alvarez years.

I thought hiring TC was appropriate at the time and I also can see how he had to be fired.

From what I have seen Fleck seems like a tool. He may have some early success at Minnesota but his style will either work wonders (and he will be gone to a bigger school) or it will get very tired , very quickly.

I reserve the right to be unimpressed until he proves he can recruit and win here.

His personality will work out fine If he wins. Kill was a salesman with a " brick by brick " shtick and I liked what he accomplished here. I think his enthusiasm for the most part works @ the college level. He is one of the few hires that might be able to salvage the mess our program is in now.

There is a huge diference between offering and accepting. Offering Fleck is not a success. Him coming to Minnesota would be.

This.

I actually enjoyed watching Kill rebuild your program. I have said before that it reminded me of the early Alvarez years.

I thought hiring TC was appropriate at the time and I also can see how he had to be fired.

From what I have seen Fleck seems like a tool. He may have some early success at Minnesota but his style will either work wonders (and he will be gone to a bigger school) or it will get very tired , very quickly.

You would love it if Minnesota didn't get Fleck wouldn't you?

I think Harsin would be a very bad hire. His team just got absolutely blown out by a mediocre Baylor team who had lost 6 in a row and lost to Wyoming this year. I'd take Bohl and a lot of others over Harsin.

You don't like Harsin because of one game? Bohl and Wyoming just ended the season losing 4 out of their last 5 games.

I don't know bout that. For every stoic Bud Grant or Tom Landry there's a crazy Jon Gruden or John Madden. I'd take any of them with success.

I agree. It's kind of typical Minnesotan that we are so concerned how somebody acts or appears. Glen smiled too much. Brewster was too much a cheer leader. Claeys wasn't animated enough and wasn't skinny enough. Everybody falls short of the perfect Minnesota coach - Grant. He was Stoic and won.
Personally, I don't care if the coach stands on his head the whole game and farts The Star Spangled Banner, as long as he wins and runs a clean program with high APR.
I'm becoming convinced we should only marry other Minnesotans as no one else meets our standards of behavior and decorum. Joking just a little there.

Nope. But I might learn to hate the Gopher football team if he was the coach. If he takes the job, and if he has success I suspect a lot of Gopher fans may view him like Badger fans viewed Bielema. Including me.

Nope. But I might learn to hate the Gopher football team if he was the coach. If he takes the job, and if he has success I suspect a lot of Gopher fans may view him like Badger fans viewed Bielema. Including me.

nah if he has success he is gone immediately.

Lol

I don't know why all these people are skeptical of this sweet talking coach that we're one the verge of signing, after all, he just beat Wisconsin didn't he?
Wait, he didn't?

Came closer than any coach we've had the last 6 years, and our coaches are at a Big Ten school. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like being disrespectful online...but....I can't express how much I loathe these Fleck-Brewster comparisons just because of style. Brewster was maybe the least qualified head coaching candidate ever at a power 5 school (I'm only exaggerating a little) and everybody knew it at the time. Fleck, on the other hand, has done some remarkable things as a head coach at a young age.
+100

I reserve the right to be unimpressed until he proves he can recruit and win here.

He's only recruiting better than 27 P5 teams according to scout for 2017

While I'm lukewarm on Fleck, my biggest issue with hiring him is that it certainly appears as if no one else was even interviewed. I realize we need to move quickly but I think I would at least take 4 to 5 days to talk to 3 or 4 coaches, not simply the first guy who would take the job. Coyle setting himself up to be fired if Fleck turns out to be a joke.

I don't know much about Pelini. Seemed like he had the player's support when he got fired. How could a guy that poses with his kitty, wearing grandma's hand-knit turtleneck be bad?

Yes, Faux-Pelini was a great photoshop job and very funny. Pelini was an ass and not a great recruiter. I (unfortunately) now live in Nebraska and the people here hated him. I loved him because he drove the program into the ground.

While I'm lukewarm on Fleck, my biggest issue with hiring him is that it certainly appears as if no one else was even interviewed. I realize we need to move quickly but I think I would at least take 4 to 5 days to talk to 3 or 4 coaches, not simply the first guy who would take the job. Coyle setting himself up to be fired if Fleck turns out to be a joke.

To be fair, he interviewed PJ last year and Fleck turned him down. Also, hired and worked with Harsin. I don't think he's lacking in familiarity.

Ive been reading for a while and finally decided to reset the password and start posting again.

My thing with Fleck is I understand his attitude could rub people the wrong way. But here is a guy who has stated a desire to stay in the midwest and is young. He could move on yes. He could fail and be fired. But he might just be the guy. The guy who could camp out here for 20 years and set us up longterm. Return us to prominence. Likely no but at least now I feel like he at least could be. That is something I didnt feel under Claeys. Never felt that under Kill either.

So at this point why not take the shot. In my opinion and he is one of the few guys that gives us that opportunity.

So are we Utah in this comparison?

If by hiring Fleck, or any other coach, we would get 2 undefeated seasons, 4 conference championships, and a 125-52 record over 14 seasons; then I would love to be like Utah. Urban Meyer put Utah football on the map.

Did anyone notice Fleck wasn't wearing socks on the sidelines against Wisconsin? No socks, no want!

I watched that Wisconsin game. I'd be embarrassed to have a coach jumping around like a clown on our sidelines like he was. I read some WMU boards yesterday. Didn't take long to find plenty of their fans that aren't pleased with his self-centeredness and egomania. Lots of Gopher fans love the taste of snake oil though...

Ok, so if he beats Wisconsin you can stay home and be embarrassed. If he gets to the Big Ten title game you can stay home embarrassed. 13-0 is snake oil? Playing the Badgers tougher than any Gopher coach in the last decade with a MAC team? I'd be more embarrassed by that. Palease.

I'm going to enjoy the Fleck hiring meltdown here.

Top Bottom