Penn St Sanctions

As I said earlier, I don't know what I was thinking when I made that bet, for 2 reasons: 1) I pretty much never bet for money; 2) my stance all along was not that the NCAA wouldn't punish Penn St., it was that they shouldn't punish Penn St. Again, the best defense I can think of is temporary insanity.

Lack of Instutional Control. Pretty easy for the NCAA to fit what happened at PSU under the guise of Lack of Instutional Control.

Looks like PSU cut a deal to avoid the death penalty:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53749/erickson-psu-took-deal-to-avoid-death

Mark Emmert made it clear Monday that the heavy sanctions handed down came from the NCAA, not Penn State. The school didn't offer any self-imposed penalties, the NCAA president said.

Although Emmert and others praised Penn State's transparency and cooperation in fast-tracking Monday's decision, the NCAA would have gone forward with or without Penn State's blessing. Penn State signed a consent decree and won't appeal the sanctions, and some wondered whether the school, despite its weakened position, gave in too easily.

Well, here's your answer.

From the Centre Daily Times:

Penn State president Rodney Erickson revealed that the university accepted the severe NCAA sanctions announced today to avoid the death penalty for the football program.
In an interview with the Centre Daily Times, Erickson said, "We had our backs to the wall on this. We did what we thought was necessary to save the program."
Joined by board of trustees chairwoman Karen Peetz and interim director of athletics David Joyner, Erickson said he signed the NCAA agreement because no better deal was available.
He said Penn State could have faced at least one year without football and still would have endured additional penalties.

Emmert and Oregon State president Ed Ray, chair of the NCAA's executive committee, both said the "death penalty" wouldn't have been the only punishment handed down.

Thanks for your analysis of my post, I hope you and your 15 cats have a great day...

So having unsupportable arguments rebutted equals crazy cat person. Got it. In the meantime, I'm interested to know what it would take for me to own 19 cats.

station19

It wasn't lack of control, is was total control.

I have to agree you that a much more accurate description of what took place was total control by Joe Paterno over everything, including the president and the board.

Looks like PSU cut a deal to avoid the death penalty:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53749/erickson-psu-took-deal-to-avoid-death

Mark Emmert made it clear Monday that the heavy sanctions handed down came from the NCAA, not Penn State. The school didn't offer any self-imposed penalties, the NCAA president said.

Although Emmert and others praised Penn State's transparency and cooperation in fast-tracking Monday's decision, the NCAA would have gone forward with or without Penn State's blessing. Penn State signed a consent decree and won't appeal the sanctions, and some wondered whether the school, despite its weakened position, gave in too easily.

Well, here's your answer.

From the Centre Daily Times:

Penn State president Rodney Erickson revealed that the university accepted the severe NCAA sanctions announced today to avoid the death penalty for the football program.
In an interview with the Centre Daily Times, Erickson said, "We had our backs to the wall on this. We did what we thought was necessary to save the program."
Joined by board of trustees chairwoman Karen Peetz and interim director of athletics David Joyner, Erickson said he signed the NCAA agreement because no better deal was available.
He said Penn State could have faced at least one year without football and still would have endured additional penalties.

Emmert and Oregon State president Ed Ray, chair of the NCAA's executive committee, both said the "death penalty" wouldn't have been the only punishment handed down.

From a Pittsburgh beat writer: https://twitter.com/Dejan_Kovacevic/status/227500146349461505

#PennState prez says NCAA originally was set to shut down football four years. Would have been DOUBLE death penalty. That’s jurisdiction.

As I said earlier, I don't know what I was thinking when I made that bet, for 2 reasons: 1) I pretty much never bet for money; 2) my stance all along was not that the NCAA wouldn't punish Penn St., it was that they shouldn't punish Penn St. Again, the best defense I can think of is temporary insanity.

Even though I disagree with your premise, I'll accept it. That being said, this assclown is not a party to the wager in any way.

C'mon man, name calling and swearing? That's not how you taught us to respond to criticism. In any event, you made a wager ona public message board, thus making me party to the wager.

you where rong R-O-N-G rong about whether PSU university would recieve sanktions from the NCCA. You were also R-O-N-G about how this would impact there recruiting.

Replacement Gopher said:
C'mon man, name calling and swearing? That's not how you taught us to respond to criticism. In any event, you made a wager ona public message board, thus making me party to the wager.

you where rong R-O-N-G rong about whether PSU university would recieve sanktions from the NCCA. You were also R-O-N-G about how this would impact there recruiting.

It loves this attention and gets off on it. It's his\her ego thing. It's better to ignore or block it.

Umm..

LMAO. What did You smoke for breakfast?
Didn't need to. Comes directly from former Fox Asst. Director quoted in an article. Sorry that Fairly Unbalanced disappointed you with it's fake news.

I should have made it clear I was talking in a football sense. I could never stomach Paterno. I thought he was a smarmy, self-important little pr*ck. I never saw this coming (who did?), but it isn't that much of a stretch for me to think him capable of a cover-up like this.

I find the $60 million fine interesting. Obviously it's good that the money will benefit victims of sexual abuse, but that cost is going to be passed right to the students at Penn St and people who live in Pennsylvania. There is no free lunch.

Penn State has an endowment approaching $2 BILLION ($1.8B in 2011). I doubt this chump change (3%) will be passed on. I don't think the students or citizens would allow it.

Penn State has an endowment approaching $2 BILLION ($1.8B in 2011). I doubt this chump change (3%) will be passed on. I don't think the students or citizens would allow it.

Yea, if they're going to worry about the endowment being hit the civil suits should be the bigger concern I think.

Make no mistake about it: This was a plea bargain. Take your medicine now, or fight it and end up getting wiped out.

Maybe someone in the new administration is starting to get it.

In taking it all in today...a number of points struck me.

- i didn't know some the details and thoroughness of the Freeh report. JoePa was just intoxicated with the program...too big to fail maybe. And no one existed to challenge his judgement. This can never happen again anywhere i hope. I wonder if guys like Saban or Miles are viewed that way interal to those universities.
- this was the right move...the court of law would not fix the broken culture. It had to happen....i was stunned at how wrapped up.. some at PSU were and some still are in deriving their pride in their school solely from the football program. I too take pride in The U when we are successful in sports...i cheer my guts out for them. My real pride though comes from the degree i earned, friends i made, helping me grow up as a man....not from how many wins the Gophers earned. I hope more people at PSU can put things in their proper perspective ...aka change the culture of how they view their football program in the context of the school. It was messed up!
-a decade of bad football does not mean much in the grand scheme. Those students growing, learning and achieving is what really matters in impacting their lives with better jobs and hopefully contributing more to society.
-this is a slippery slope...on some people maybe now wanting the NCAA to step in on matters like this. BUT...they still did the right thing here on PSU.
-BTN's coverage was great the past 2 days. Lots of great interviews and insight. Not just please let Wednesday still be Gophers all day!!

Sorry for the rant.

SKI-U-MAH!!

GopherMartin

In taking it all in today...a number of points struck me.

- i didn't know some the details and thoroughness of the Freeh report. JoePa was just intoxicated with the program...too big to fail maybe. And no one existed to challenge his judgement. This can never happen again anywhere i hope. I wonder if guys like Saban or Miles are viewed that way interal to those universities.
- this was the right move...the court of law would not fix the broken culture. It had to happen....i was stunned at how wrapped up.. some at PSU were and some still are in deriving their pride in their school solely from the football program. I too take pride in The U when we are successful in sports...i cheer my guts out for them. My real pride though comes from the degree i earned, friends i made, helping me grow up as a man....not from how many wins the Gophers earned. I hope more people at PSU can put things in their proper perspective ...aka change the culture of how they view their football program in the context of the school. It was messed up!
-a decade of bad football does not mean much in the grand scheme. Those students growing, learning and achieving is what really matters in impacting their lives with better jobs and hopefully contributing more to society.
-this is a slippery slope...on some people maybe now wanting the NCAA to step in on matters like this. BUT...they still did the right thing here on PSU.

Sorry for the rant.

SKI-U-MAH!!

GoperMartin

Well, given the subject of the thread, at least you didn't say GroperMartin!

Is that real? Sad sad day.

Their fans are great people....but it needed to happen.

Yea, if they're going to worry about the endowment being hit the civil suits should be the bigger concern I think.

With a $1.75B endowment (2011 figures) it would not surprise me at all if they had a captive insurance reserve set up specifically for situations like this. Not uncommon at all.

Hard to say if insurance would cover something like this. I would not be surprised if there was a clause regarding felonius criminal behavior that would result in non-coverage.

For those who say that the NCAA should not have been involved, remember that the sanctions are not because of the crimes, but because of the cover up which was specifically to protect the football program. For this reason, it's absolutely an NCAA matter.

For those who say that this isn't enough, it's big. Really big. I'd have loved to see the bans be five years though, because it would have really wiped out the program. Even as it stands, no top recruit will go there because of the bans, and a lot of players will probably stay away because of the stigma alone.

USC and Miami (which is going to get hit HARD very soon, since apparently now Golden's staff is getting busted for continuing the shenanigans) at least have the advantage of being in nice warm places with lots to do. Who the hell would ever want to spend four years in Happy Valley now that the prestige of playing for PSU and the aura of JoePa is gone and forever tainted? This will be a MAC level program for the next decade.

The people involved in the cover-up are gone. Penn St is still a fine academic institution and the actions of those in the football program have tarnished their reputation and as heinous as the crime they coverd up the school I assume along with the football program will eventually be able to move on.

Do you know for a fact that all the people are gone or just assuming based on press coverage?

I read today that Delaney said the conference is 'leaning toward' waiving conference transfer rules. What are they waiting for? Maybe the rest of the schools think they'll only go to OSU and MI and won't support the waiver?

I read today that Delaney said the conference is 'leaning toward' waiving conference transfer rules. What are they waiting for? Maybe the rest of the schools think they'll only go to OSU and MI and won't support the waiver?

Delany is probably upset that players are considering going anywhere but OSU or MI and that's why he's hesitating on the waiver.

Question on sanctions, I understand PSU has to go down to about 63? Through 2017. How long will it take them to get back to 68 with class signing limits?

For example if they graduate 1/4 of their 63 in 2017 they'd have 48 on scholarship with 40 to give, but per B10 are only allowed to sign 28?

Will it take them an additional three years to get to 88? And I assume it would then cause wild class size swings in the future that might take years to figure out.

Also, how will they calc an APR?

Top Bottom