Paul Chryst out at wisconsin!

Chryst's early success largely came from prior coaches' recruits.
WI and Chryst started down the slippery slope in losing to a mediocre OR team in the Rose Bowl because of a lack of concentration and intensity.
Jonathon Taylor covered multiple of sins for three years.
MN fans should not be happy about this.
WI is not NE with dreams of national championships or fire the coach.
The program was close to permanent mediocrity.

You're making the assumption that Leonhard or the guy who replaces Chryst next year is "the guy". Nebraska has proven that there is no bottom when you spin the wheel of coaches.

You're making the assumption that Leonhard or the guy who replaces Chryst next year is "the guy". Nebraska has proven that there is no bottom when you spin the wheel of coaches.

No joke!

Interesting that 2/7 teams in the Big 10 West are under helmed by Interim HCs. Gophers still play both of them, on the road.

Sniff, sniff... what is that dreadful odor?

It's the acrid smell of mustelids, in distress.

Whoever gets Leipold look out because they are going to be good. Nebraska is stupid if they don’t make him target #1 in their search.

Lance Liepold is a name being floated around. Born and raised in Wisconsin, assistant coach for one year at Wisconsin, and has simply won everywhere he's gone. They'll have to fight Nebraska for him though, he was an assistant at Nebraska as well.
Leipold is my nightmare scenario because he would be their Bo Ryan hire for football. Former Wisconsin assistant who had massive success in the WIAC, then was a winner in D1. He would do great things in Madison, so I hope he stays far away from that job.

I think this was a smart move by Wisconsin. Leonard shows he’ll be a heck of a head coach, or they get Leipold, who IS a hell of a coach. It’s Wisconsin though so who gives a F? Go Gophers! RTB, Ski U Mah!

I think this was a smart move by Wisconsin. Leonard shows he’ll be a heck of a head coach, or they get Leipold, who IS a hell of a coach. It’s Wisconsin though so who gives a F? Go Gophers! RTB, Ski U Mah!
Honestly I think think this is a smart move but it won’t work

I think Wisconsin is dead and the beginning of the end was that punt return by Douglas
They’re now closer to the gophers than the big boys for the first time since 1994

Apparently, nowadays in Madison, 10 wins per season gets you fired.

I would imagine the new coaching candidates will all be aware of that fact.

It makes me wonder: would 11 wins per season allow you to keep you job? Maybe 11 wins means you're still there, but you get a pay cut and a stern dressing-down.

The Sconnies think they are equal to Ohio State. We'll see how that works out for them.

Agreed. Ferentz has been at Iowa for over 20 years. Iowa has had their down times during his tenure and Iowa diehards have called for his head on a number of occasions but the AD always extended him. The AD probably was right. It is very questionable whether someone else would have delivered as many solid seasons during that time span.

There may not be room for another perennial powerhouse like Ohio State and Michigan in the upper midwest and rustbelt these days. Even as storied of a program as Notre Dame hasn't been able maintain its former status consistently.

Of course, like most around here, I would love to see Wisconsin go the Nebraska route.

People who can't wait to replace Paul Chryst remind me of people who can't wait to replace Tanner Morgan.

Oh stop. Replacing Tanner Morgan at QB this season is in the minds of a few delusional folks on a message board. Replacing Chryst was in the minds of decision makers and people of significant influence.

Agreed. Ferentz has been at Iowa for over 20 years. Iowa has had their down times during his tenure and Iowa diehards have called for his head on a number of occasions but the AD always extended him. The AD probably was right. It is very questionable whether someone else would have delivered as many solid seasons during that time span.

There may not be room for another perennial powerhouse like Ohio State and Michigan in the upper midwest and rustbelt these days. Even as storied of a program as Notre Dame hasn't been able maintain its former status consistently.

Of course, like most around here, I would love to see Wisconsin go the Nebraska route.

Excellent summary. Well done.

Oh stop. Replacing Tanner Morgan at QB this season is in the minds of a few delusional folks on a message board. Replacing Chryst was in the minds of decision makers and people of significant influence.

Morgan and Chryst both will leave behind records that are objectively measurable. In both cases, their replacements must surpass those records in order to be considered more successful than their predecessors.

Leipold is my nightmare scenario because he would be their Bo Ryan hire for football. Former Wisconsin assistant who had massive success in the WIAC, then was a winner in D1. He would do great things in Madison, so I hope he stays far away from that job.
Agree.
I understand that Leonhard is the obvious choice, but Leipold would be the better choice. Leonhard is a bigger gamble because we don’t know what kind of head coach he would be. There are many guys that are great as coordinators, but fail as head coach.

On a side note, I just discovered that Chryst was the Badger QB while I was at the U and I watched him play and didn’t realize it until now. Just another nostalgic flashback. In 1988, the Badgers were 1-10, their only victory was over Minnesota. Ah yes, the Gutey years.

Kind of quick if you ask me, doesn't make Wisconsin fan base look very good, The road to being a mediocre program is to make knee jerk reactions based on a partial seasonal results.

Weren't they 6-3 last year and 7-2 the year before COVID.

Grumbling from ordinary fans doesn't get head coaches fired. Ask Gary Barta, the Iowa AD. This discontent came from those higher up the totem pole.

Morgan and Chryst both will leave behind records that are objectively measurable. In both cases, their replacements must surpass those records in order to be considered more successful than their predecessors.

Well, that's true but Morgan is in no danger of being replaced. Obviously we couldn't say that about Chryst. The discontent with Chryst was occurring among people who mattered.

Top Bottom