Ohio St. Opener Weather Watch / Overreaction Thread - 🌞⛅🌦⚡❄🍺

It’s looking more like rain.

It’s looking more like rain.
Plenty of time for the high pressure to linger for an extra day. Happens all the time.

I won’t accept it until the fat lady is singing on Thurs.

Here's what my app says at the moment:
Screenshot_20210830-202943.png

That 2018 Indiana game was pretty brutal as well, at least pre-game and during the first half, with very cold driving rain.
I will NEVER forget the 2018 Indiana game. Driving cold rain as you describe, night game, followed by not one but TWO flat tires on the way home. First one just outside of the Lowery tunnel, second on 394 at hwy 100.

I will NEVER forget the 2018 Indiana game. Driving cold rain as you describe, night game, followed by not one but TWO flat tires on the way home. First one just outside of the Lowery tunnel, second on 394 at hwy 100.
And it was on a Friday night!

And it was on a Friday night!
Yep. And considering the location of the first flat and having no spare tire for the second flat, we had to call for a tow truck BOTH times. Adding in the time waiting for both tow trucks, and then getting ultimately towed all the way to the far western edge of Hennepin County, we didn’t get home until 2ish in the morning Saturday. And all the tailgate gear was soaked from all the rain and had to sit in there until we could retrieve it the next day. Thankfully the Gophers won.

Bring on the wind and rain! Seeing 10-20 mph winds out of the SSE. That should help suppress Ohio State's passing game (one would think), especially with a first year QB.
That works both ways. Assume you are not attending?

The forecast continues to look better and better for Thursday night. The storm system has slowed down, and should keep the heavy rain and T-Storms to our west until the early morning hours on Friday.

My current kickoff forecast is: Mostly cloudy with a temperature of 73. There will be a strong southeast wind of 15-20 mph, with some higher gusts.

I will NEVER forget the 2018 Indiana game. Driving cold rain as you describe, night game, followed by not one but TWO flat tires on the way home. First one just outside of the Lowery tunnel, second on

That works both ways. Assume you are not attending?
Why would you assume that? I have gone to every Gopher home game since I graduated from the University regardless of weather conditions. I just want the most favorable elements for the Gophers to compete.

The forecast continues to look better and better for Thursday night. The storm system has slowed down, and should keep the heavy rain and T-Storms to our west until the early morning hours on Friday.

My current kickoff forecast is: Mostly cloudy with a temperature of 73. There will be a strong southeast wind of 15-20 mph, with some higher gusts
Sure about that?

Rain. Low 62F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.

Why would you assume that? I have gone to every Gopher home game since I graduated from the University regardless of weather conditions. I just want the most favorable elements for the Gophers to compete.
Because that's more likely the case with those type responses out here on GH...my apologies. I still do not think weather is an equalizer for the Gophs, though.

Because that's more likely the case with those type responses out here on GH...my apologies. I still do not think weather is an equalizer for the Gophs, though.
The wind is more of a factor than the rain...It hurts FGs, punting and deep throws which would help the gophers

Sure about that?

Rain. Low 62F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
What are you looking at? I'm looking at the National Weather Service, which says:

Thursday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8pm. Low around 63. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

To me that says their best guess at this moment is 80% chance of rain between 8pm Thurs - 8am Fri. Big window there.

What are you looking at? I'm looking at the National Weather Service, which says:

Thursday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8pm. Low around 63. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Friday
Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

To me that says their best guess at this moment is 80% chance of rain between 8pm Thurs - 8am Fri. Big window there.
Weather.com.....Its going to rain almost the entire game....How hard is the only question...With the wind, it will be an ugly driving rain on the field.

Thursday Night
Friday

weather.com and weather underground have it at 100%. WU has an hourly breakdown and has chance of rain at 40% at 7 PM and climbing to 65% by 10 PM. It does look like the forecast for rain has steadily moved later over the past 3-5 days so maybe that continues and pushes it out to sometime after 10 PM.

weather.com and weather underground have it at 100%. WU has an hourly breakdown and has chance of rain at 40% at 7 PM and climbing to 65% by 10 PM. It does look like the forecast for rain has steadily moved later over the past 3-5 days so maybe that continues and pushes it out to sometime after 10 PM.
Or sometime after 1am Fri .... no one truly can have a clue, at this moment.

Yeah, the forecast has changed a bit. The rain does look like it is pushing later with the chance now being predicted to be around 40% at kickoff and 60% at game’s end. The “for sure” rain now looks to be arriving in the early hours of Friday.

hopefully this trend continues and it stays dry for the game (because I forgot all my rain gear at the cabin last weekend, so I will be equipped with just a cheap plastic poncho at the game). The tailgate/pregame now looks like it will just be cloudy and rain-free.

Top Bottom