Ohio St. Opener Weather Watch / Overreaction Thread - 🌞⛅🌦⚡❄🍺

Screenshot_20210831-105550.png
Don't know what service this is pulling from, but fingers crossed it keeps pushing later and later!

Because that's more likely the case with those type responses out here on GH...my apologies. I still do not think weather is an equalizer for the Gophs, though.
No worries, I understand where you are coming from. I agree with that assessment as well but I'm trying to be optimistic and hope for the best.

As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing!".

Sure about that?

Rain. Low 62F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.

You're pulling from apps that are based off of one model run, off of one particular point in time. I'm looking at every run across a variety of different models and watching trends.

The storm system has slowed quite a bit from what the models were showing this weekend compared to the last two days.

The model I trust the most has shifted the heaviest rain to 1am - 7am Friday morning. It does show some rain entering the area late Thursday, but it is light compared to what will likely fall overnight.

I am currently optimistic that the game will be drier than wetter. The timing will likely continue to shift some as we get closer to Thursday.

Last edited:

You're pulling from apps that are based off of one model run, off of one particular point in time. I'm looking at every run across a variety of different models and watching trends.

The storm system has slowed quite a bit from what the models were showing this weekend compared to the last two days.

The model I trust the most has shifted the heaviest rain to 1am - 7am Friday morning. It does show some rain entering the area late Thursday, but it is light compared to what will likely fall overnight.

I am currently optimistic that the game will be drier than wetter. The timing will likely continue to shift some as we get closer to Thursday.
This is the Way.

No worries, I understand where you are coming from. I agree with that assessment as well but I'm trying to be optimistic and hope for the best.

As the saying goes, "There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing!".
And layers...you need to know how to layer. I'm also a little snarky in anticipation of getting back to some tailgating and Gophs action @ the Bank!

The rain does seem to be holding off. Latest forecast looks like tailgate/pregame will be dry and now it appears threat of rain will only be later in the game. First half, at least, should be dry and perhaps the entire game will be dry. Wind forecast is also a bit more calm.046B20C2-79BC-4D70-ADC9-4384D1D42C87.jpeg

The rain does seem to be holding off. Latest forecast looks like tailgate/pregame will be dry and now it appears threat of rain will only be later in the game. First half, at least, should be dry and perhaps the entire game will be dry. Wind forecast is also a bit more calm.View attachment 14151
Let it pour during the 4th Qtr when OSU needs a score.

Latest forecasts have the chance of rain down to about 10% at 7 PM, and 20% by 10 PM. Hopefully that continues to trend down as kickoff approaches.

Gangsta, read it and weep!

You owe everyone in this thread a beer! :D

A hard rain’s a-gonna fall. It’ll fall on my head like a memory. And you know thunder only happens when it’s raining.

The models have sped things back up just a hair today. It's going to be really close as far as the heavy rain moving in around the 4th quarter or just after the game ends. I think we will avoid lightning though.

The chances of it raining during the game have come back with a vengeance. Maybe it will hold off until halftime but the chance of rain at 10 PM is now 70%.

If that could somehow be a factor in a huge upset win, I’d gladly put up with it. Gophers jump Buckeyes early and then the chances of a comeback diminish under sheets of rain in the second half.

But the reality is I was already kicking myself having forgotten all my rain gear at the cabin and my personal karma probably only means I will now be miserable and wet, watching a game I waited so long and with so much anticipation to attend.

I was hoping the rain would move back. Will be a wet one. I have waterproof everything but not in maroon or gold.

Scattered showers will be possible throughout the game, but I still see the first half being drier than wet. The heavier, steadier rain should hold off until around or after 10 pm.
Thanks Gopher Weather Guy. Your prognostications and map analysis are appreciated! Glad the rain is moving in early; thinking it will slow OSU WRs down a bit. Pulling for a big MO Day!! #GoGophers

I prefer the disposable ponchos... way easier to carry.
Ha! I think the intent of mine IS to be disposable.... but I am a cheap SOB!

When my dad used to drive us down from the Iron Range when I was a kid, there was always a hardware store stop for a box of hefty bags.... yeah, he was even cheaper!

Ha! I think the intent of mine IS to be disposable.... but I am a cheap SOB!

When my dad used to drive us down from the Iron Range when I was a kid, there was always a hardware store stop for a box of hefty bags.... yeah, he was even cheaper!
Oh there will be garbage bags in the stands I'm sure, there always are ;)

Top Bottom