***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Did it on purpose and with intent. Executed to perfection.
Stalker

Can I suggest some real-life human interaction for you? I think it might do you some major good.

Your proclivity (let me know if you need a definition, as I can tell you're the kind of human who speaks or writes in one-sentence brain farts) for latching onto specific posters on this board is quite disturbing. Jennifer Jason Leigh in "Single White Female" much?

Either way, there are plenty of other people feeling lonely and lost during these challenging times. If you're looking for friends, just private message somebody and ask "Do you want to be my friend?" instead of following them around and hurling weak insults on a message board like a kindergarten boy.

Certainly a bit of good fortune on that shot. If purdue makes that shot no one would ding painter. As i wrote, painter cleared out for ivey in the same manner to beat the buckeyes. Also, to act like the whole game hung on that shot is disingenuous. Credit to Coach Pitino, went head to head with supposedly the bigten apex coach and beat him.
Izzo is the apex coach and it is not close.

Wouldve no doubt also got tourney wins in 2016-17 if hadnt lost springs and mason on one leg. How many tourney wins do you think the 17-18 team would have gotten. Check out how many tourney wins other big ten teams earned the last 4 seasons.

Now i do feel that recruiting is an issue. Just am very impressed how pitino gets more out of less.
Completely opposite for me.

I don't think the measuring stick of only NCAA's is very good, but just for the sake of argument, I've listed below. This includes seasons 2016-2019, as 2020 had no tournament. This is thus skewed slightly, as some of the teams with 0 wins / appearances would have gone in 2020, including Rutgers, Penn State, and Illinois. If you include 2020, it would basically put MN in a solid tie for the bottom third to quarter of the Big 10. Again, I'm not hell-bent on using this as a metric, but it doesn't exactly paint a more rosy picture than the overall Pitino era does.

Even if you exclude 2020, they're only ahead of some pretty putrid teams. NE has NEVER won a tourney game. NW has gone to the tourney ONCE. PSU has gone twice in the past 20 years. Rutgers hasn't gone in 30 years. Other than Illinois, the teams below them using your metric are historically terrible.

Last 4 years: Wins (appearances)
Michigan: 10 (4)
Purdue: 7 (4)
MSU: 6 (4)
Wisconsin: 4 (3)
Maryland: 3 (3)
Indiana: 2 (1)
Ohio State: 2 (2)
Iowa: 2 (2)
Minnesota: 1 (2)
Northwestern: 1 (1)
Illinois: 0 (0)
Penn State: 0 (0)
Nebraska: 0 (0)
Rutgers: 0 (0)

Are u sure your numbers are correct? I am 99% sure iowa has only one 1 appearance and 1 tourney win. Are your other numbers correct?

I mean I suppose it would just be the same with any coach, but I think the case for RP getting the ax is this message board, every discussion turns into 3-4 people saying RP is doing great things and 10-15 saying how terrible he is :ROFLMAO:

Gach played 8 minutes. Gabe (38) played more than carr (36).

Yes. We need more tjan two players. Gabe and Johnson are starting to step up and that is huge.

Not surprised to see the gophers figure things out. We have through pitino's tenure seen the strength of his coaching is that he is able to figure out how to get the team to play their best. By the end of the season his teams' abilities are maximized. Nice win tonight engineered by an excellent coach and will hopefully provide the team with good confidence moving foward.

Also am still really annoyed by Painter's whining about the refs and moaning about carr's shot. I dont think he would be apologizing if purdue had won the game in similar fashion.
The announcers described Purdue as "a physical team," which seemed a euphemism for brutal cheap shots, which I've seemed to notice from Painter's Purdue teams other years. Especially the foul that floored Robbins looked like nothing more than an intentional bulldozer hit. Williams' play didn't look a whole lot more subtle. My reaction in any case.

I think how the season plays out will have a huge impact.
If it does then Coyle isn’t very smart.
He should know already.

You have years to evaluate and if Gabe gets hot from 3 for 3 weeks you keep him but if Carr goes cold for 3 weeks you fire him?

that’s not a very good way to make a decision

I mean I suppose it would just be the same with any coach, but I think the case for RP getting the ax is this message board, every discussion turns into 3-4 people saying RP is doing great things and 10-15 saying how terrible he is :ROFLMAO:

Not one single person has said RP is "doing great things". Quit playing, man.

Those of us who aren't watching every game through a "f--k Pitino" lens are simply just enjoying it game by game and hoping for the best with the season. There have been plenty of seasons where we have not beat this many good teams (including the Tubby years). Pitino's teams are inconsistent and definitely have warts. But we have some very nice players and moments as well.

Just because we don't find a way to shade our coach even with any compliment we give to the team doesn't mean we are demanding he be extended or saying he is the next Tom Izzo. Take it easy and have some fun, man. You (or anyone else) literally has ZERO control over what happens with our coach after this season, so why let this shit pollute your mind while watching and analyzing every game??

I don't think the measuring stick of only NCAA's is very good, but just for the sake of argument, I've listed below. This includes seasons 2016-2019, as 2020 had no tournament. This is thus skewed slightly, as some of the teams with 0 wins / appearances would have gone in 2020, including Rutgers, Penn State, and Illinois. If you include 2020, it would basically put MN in a solid tie for the bottom third to quarter of the Big 10. Again, I'm not hell-bent on using this as a metric, but it doesn't exactly paint a more rosy picture than the overall Pitino era does.

Even if you exclude 2020, they're only ahead of some pretty putrid teams. NE has NEVER won a tourney game. NW has gone to the tourney ONCE. PSU has gone twice in the past 20 years. Rutgers hasn't gone in 30 years. Other than Illinois, the teams below them using your metric are historically terrible.

Last 4 years: Wins (appearances)
Michigan: 10 (4)
Purdue: 7 (4)
MSU: 6 (4)
Wisconsin: 4 (3)
Maryland: 3 (3)
Indiana: 2 (1)
Ohio State: 2 (2)
Iowa: 2 (2)
Minnesota: 1 (2)
Northwestern: 1 (1)
Illinois: 0 (0)
Penn State: 0 (0)
Nebraska: 0 (0)
Rutgers: 0 (0)
Jesus, our conference isn’t too strong top to bottom.

Not sure traveling was a good call at the end, but he got his shot blocked anyways

The last play of the game is why you don’t foul up 3 if you can just play good defense.
With the way they were rebounding, there's no way you foul there period. I hate fouling up 3 in general, but it would have been a terrible idea against Purdue.

I spelled it that way intentionally, duuuuuuude. The senior superiority writing duuuuude did what I expected. I am owning it.

Stop stalking.
Your or You're, either way pretty sophisticated usage. Where I grew up we're stuck on Yer.

With the way they were rebounding, there's no way you foul there period. I hate fouling up 3 in general, but it would have been a terrible idea against Purdue.
Every statistical analysis I have read says there is no statistical difference in success rate of the two strategies.

so might as well just play the game.

Isn’t there a fire Pitino thread?

I'm a big 'foul up 3' guy but not with Perdue rebounding as you mentioned.

Are u sure your numbers are correct? I am 99% sure iowa has only one 1 appearance and 1 tourney win. Are your other numbers correct?
If you don't trust me, go check it out. I mean, I guess Wikipedia can be incorrect.

Capture.JPG

When i looked at this a while back i started with the 2016-17 season. Did you start with 15-16?
Your parameters were last 4 years. I took that to mean the last 4 tournaments, being you were specifically looking at tourney wins. Being there was no tourney in 2020, that would be tournaments held in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. If you are looking at PRESUMED bids and include 2020, that doesn't really change much, as our squad was not getting in the tourney in 2020.

If just looking at big ten standings through 8 seasons then u are correct. Again, to me 3 out of 5 and 4 out of 5 are determinative. I also was extremely impressed how pitino brought along the 2016-17 and 18-19 teams. Doubt if painter could have got that much out of those teams.
5 out of 5 and at least 1 B1G league championship is elite. Pitino shows he is mediocre.

Your parameters were last 4 years. I took that to mean the last 4 tournaments, being you were specifically looking at tourney wins. Being there was no tourney in 2020, that would be tournaments held in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. If you are looking at PRESUMED bids and include 2020, that doesn't really change much, as our squad was not getting in the tourney in 2020.

I started with the 16-17 season. Your point is well taken. I should have said last 3 seasons rather than last 4 seasons as there was no tourney in 19-20. Apologies for the confusion.

5 out of 5 and at least 1 B1G league championship is elite. Pitino shows he is mediocre.

Never said he was elite as his recruiting hasnt allowed it. Also said he wasnt mediocre as has been proved over the last 4 1/2 seasons.

Never said he was elite as his recruiting hasnt allowed it. Also said he wasnt mediocre as has been proved over the last 4 1/2 seasons.
The last 4.5 years shows mediocrity. Just cause you enter the dance hall doesn't mean you're a good dancer.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to how you can come to this conclusion. Any debate is obviously just for kicks, as it would seem both you and I have made up our minds and are solidly sticking to either end of the argument. But I would love to hear a reasoning as to how this could be even called anything better than mediocre. I suppose it would depend on your definition of mediocrity. By definition, being mediocre puts you in the languishing center of anything, neither great nor terrible. Looking at records, Pitino over the past 4.5 years (your reference point) is 38-51 in conference (.426). An elite coach we just played, Matt Painter, over that same span is 62-29 (.681). A .426 winning percentage, by definition is mediocre. You could probably even call it sub-mediocre, as mediocre is essentially .500.

Could you come up with a way to define this stretch of time as anything greater than mediocre without using the term IF? As in, you can't use the phrase, "IF player xx didn't get hurt...", or "IF player xx wasn't a complete ass-clown and stayed eligible...", or "IF this team made more of their shots...". That is because, of course, the IF's of the world cut both ways. What would this season be like IF Carr were to get hurt? Also, the world doesn't live in IF's. It lives in facts. Some coaches/programs excel IN SPITE of all the IF's. And some don't.

There are 2 obvious scenarios here that seem mutually exclusive. 1- the gophers make the ncaa tournament , and 2- Pitino gets fired

Both things (my ideal scenario) won't happen, and it'd be crazy to want the ladder over the former. Pitino's a great guy as far as I'm concerned and quite likeable, but I'm of the belief that the Gophers would be better off with a different coach going forward. That being said, I'll take a tournament bid 100/100 times, especially since they don't come around all that often these days. I'm rooting for this team's (and Pitino's) success the rest of the season!

1) I don’t think anybody loses any elligibility in any sports in 20-21
So if you’re a RS soph, you’re still a RS soph next year

2) when the gophers are shooting well the gophers offense is great. The problem is the gophers are like 300th in the country in shooting

3) I thought he should be gone in 2019 but I trust Coyle to make a choice. If he keeps him around it means Coyle has confidence he will keep getting better And doesn’t think that the replacement would be a significant upgrade

Thanks for the clarification on eligibility.

A big part of the reason they aren't shooting well is that they are so easy to guard. Very few open looks.

Flattening out and letting your guard go one on one is a very common ploy by all coaches. Painter did exactly the same thing to beat ohio state as ivey hit a step back 3 at the buzzer for the win.

But - do "all coaches" just let the guard go 1-on-1, or do they try to set him up by running something - pick-& roll, set some screens, run some motion - do something other than 4 guys stand and watch while 1 guy tries to create his own shot with no help from any teammates?

It's the difference between having a plan, and crossing your fingers.

yes - Carr has talent. He is capable of making things happen. But, I think the odds of it being successful would be greatly increased if the final shot was set up off a play as opposed to hoping Carr can do it all by himself.

Carr is not Jimmie Chitwood. he is not going to hit that shot every time. Just once, would be nice to see them run Merle off the picket fence. the way Gabe was shooting, I would have been fine with a play set up to spring Gabe for an open-look "3."

But - do "all coaches" just let the guard go 1-on-1, or do they try to set him up by running something - pick-& roll, set some screens, run some motion - do something other than 4 guys stand and watch while 1 guy tries to create his own shot with no help from any teammates?

It's the difference between having a plan, and crossing your fingers.

yes - Carr has talent. He is capable of making things happen. But, I think the odds of it being successful would be greatly increased if the final shot was set up off a play as opposed to hoping Carr can do it all by himself.

Carr is not Jimmie Chitwood. he is not going to hit that shot every time. Just once, would be nice to see them run Merle off the picket fence. the way Gabe was shooting, I would have been fine with a play set up to spring Gabe for an open-look "3."

A lot of coaches let their best player go 1 on 1 in that situation, especially when teams have been doubling that person consistently. Plenty of sets can be run in that situation but having your best player control the ball is definitely a plan and a plan we've seen throughout this season and even previous seasons under RP. For better or worse, thats what they wanted to do. It worked this time. Its worked other times. There will be plenty of times it doesn't work.

Top Bottom