***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA AFTERNOON IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

You're not on board with Fleck as a good hire? Okay.

I guess where we disagree is the difference between promising and actual success. I do agree Whalen is promising but I haven't seen enough on-court success to declare it a success yet. Motzko could be in the same category, but his standards are a lot higher than other sports, too.

Agreed on Whalen but she is in year 3? I think. Pitino is in year 8. Eight. Ocho.

Oaf good to see you made it out of your bunker!

What's so crazy about the tourney is unless you are an elite team, matchups are a huge deal of course and you're only a lucky bank 3 away from advancing, per yesterday's game.

Pitino had no business in being hired in the firs place and I was hoping he would grow into the job, unfortunately it appears he still doesn't make good in game adjustments, allows way to many 3s to be jacked and doesn't consistently have a good game plan. I like him personally and feel he reps the U well and isn't like several of his B10 colleagues - ick. If Fran was our coach, I might have to start cheering for UVA.

I do trust Coyle and agree with you that he is setting the bar high and probably doesn't care if he upsets a few fans along the way - I seem to remember some called him a snake for firing Clayes.

I also think it matters who he might have on his short list and who is truly interested and how much money he has to accomplish all of this. It's nutty, but apropos for Covid era.

Yes, I did flee to the Bunker since early November or so. Better Basketball might have brought me out sooner! The horrible weather in MN combined with the whole general environment, and changes in my work focus has mad me pretty miserable.

Like some on the board I enjoy reading the board and posting as the evening goes on with some heavy beers. As the fall shutdown started, post election, and a general lack of exercise outside, I started to get pretty depressed. If I lived in San Diego or Melbourne Fl, I probably would be 90 percent. I pretty much stopped drinking other than a beer or two once a week, which of course makes some of the random board activity/ discourse a little less likely, and amusing.

With a trip to Fla on the horizon and some dry streets (running on my bad knee, road biking) in MN in a few weeks I am starting to feel a little better, with a drop of 15 pounds and a return to normalcy.

A Big Ten Championship caliber team this year or even a 3rd place year would have made this all a whole lot better for me. Things like the Outback Bowl and 2019 NCAA games in Des Moines make life seem a lot better, and less dark for sure, regardless of what else goes on.

At least you live in NYC! I'd settle for Newark or West Orange NJ right now, just to change it up!

If by some miracle as vaccinations pick up, and politics die down, I can be present in Boulder CO for the September Gopher- Colorado football game it will seem like the greatest thing in my whole life. Being at TCF on a sunny 45 degree day in November would seem pretty great as well.

Last edited:

Wouldve almost certainly made tourney in 17-18 without all the player games lost. Wouldve been then 4 out of 5 if make dance this year. Facts.

Again, if i had an employee who had a task set up for success but then was unable to complete the task due to circumstances beyond his control, i would consider that a job well done. This is what happened in 17-18 - lots of player games lost from a team that had only lost springs from ncaa tourney team.
Almost certainly is a long way from fact. You are ignoring the conference record, the one winning conference season and not even thinking what other programs go through that you likely do not follow. Virtually no one that looks at these 8 years would say job well done.

Yes, I did flee to the Bunker since early November or so. Better Basketball might have brought me out sooner! The horrible weather in MN combined with the whole general environment, and changes in my work focus has mad me pretty miserable.

Like some on the board I enjoy reading the board and posting as the evening goes on with some heavy beers. As the fall shutdown started, post election, and a general lack of exercise outside, I started to get pretty depressed. If I lived in San Diego or Melbourne Fl, I probably would be 90 percent. I pretty much stopped drinking other than a beer or two once a week, which of course makes some of the random board activity/ discourse a little less likely, and amusing.

With a trip to Fla on the horizon and some dry streets (running on my bad knee, road biking) in MN in a few weeks I am starting to feel a little better, with a drop of 15 pounds and a return to normalcy.

A Big Ten Championship caliber team this year or even a 3rd place year would have made this all a whole lot better for me. Things like the Outback Bowl and 2019 NCAA games in Des Moines make life seem a lot better, and less dark for sure, regardless of what else goes on.

At least you live in NYC! I'd settle for Newark or West Orange NJ right now, just to change it up!

If by some miracle as vaccinations pick up, and politics die down, I can be present in Boulder CO for the September Gopher- Colorado football game it will seem like the greatest thing in my whole life. Being at TCF on a sunny 45 degree day in November would seem pretty great as well.

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear you have had a rough winter!

Yes, unfortunately the bucket Rodents abandoned us in our season of need with false hopes of a legit finish (now watch them win the B10 Tourney - LOL). I thought after the amazing IA win this was the year for it to happen, but Pitino's coaching isn't as strong as his Twitter game and he ain't the guy, but I think at least it forces Coyle's hand to make a change at this point.

Good efforts on losing your freshman 15 and I'm sure your Speedo is happy too. The FLA trip sounds just like what you need/deserve at this point - any spring training games on the schedule (Twins and/or other clubs)?

I think all of us would view 16-17 and 18-19 as successful or very successful. So then either 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 of last seasons are successful, depending how one wants to treat 17-18. This season is pending.
Uh...no. All of us would not view those seasons as "successful or very successful."

Pitino has yet to have a successful season, and this year is already another failure.

I think all of us would view 16-17 and 18-19 as successful or very successful. So then either 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 of last seasons are successful, depending how one wants to treat 17-18. This season is pending.

To me this doesnt merit the pounding Coach Pitino gets by some. I trust Coyle to make the right call after the season regarding going forward. If he feel recruiting/coaching is subpar then he should make a change.
Not all, not even close. You have your standard for what is successful or very successful and others have their own. I consider one out of 7-8 to be moderately successful. The body of work to be horrible. To each his own.

Yeah, will disagree with u on fleck and whalen looks promising imo. I would say closer to 3 out of 3 so personally feel confident coyle will make the best decision goung forward for bb as well.
How can one look at football and women’s basketball and say the women’s hire is going well but the football hire is questionable

How can one look at football and women’s basketball and say the women’s hire is going well but the football hire is questionable
I would say football has gone better than expected and has me hopeful....Same for men's hockey.....Whalen has done nothing and I can see her stepping down in a couple years from stress and a lack of success.

Huh? I said fleck and whalen were good hires. Reason i trust coyle.

Uh...no. All of us would not view those seasons as "successful or very successful."

Pitino has yet to have a successful season, and this year is already another failure.
There was the one season in the upper division of the conference. Most people here were pretty excited and optimistic of where things might be headed from there. But it turned out to be the equivalent of Monson's one pretty good season, which ultimately did not get built upon.

Top Bottom