OFFICIAL: Minnesota vs Syracuse in Pinstripe Bowl

^ that's the "easy button".

If you're fine booking your own Sun Country, which is pretty much the flights I said except leaving a day earlier, and doing your own hotel or airbnb, and your own transportation (Uber/Lyft), I'm wild guessing you could do it for maybe more like $1k per person? Lot of that is the lodging. Maybe get a good deal on an airbnb house in New Jersey if a group goes.

We are in a good bowl game, even if there is a segment of GopherHolers who dislike or are afraid of NYC. Moreover, if we hadn’t choked in both Purdue and Iowa games—if we had won just one of these supremely winnable games—we would have gotten a better bowl. If we had won both of these very winnable games, we’d be in a great bowl game. The Pinstripe Bowl, which will be a great social experience and football game for the players, is a totally fine assignment given how the Gophers performed during the year. That we have fans who are turned off by large urban areas and/or mid-40 degree weather, is too bad. It would be great if everybody could be pleased. But it isn’t a B1G conspiracy. We are going to one of the bowls we should be going to given the season we had.
For those going, City Island

Here is the Erban's package that was mentioned by SPJeff:

http://www.travelingopher.com/bowl-travel.html

$1475 per person based on double occupancy
includes
RT NON STOP AIR SUN COUNTRY AIRLINES , 3 NIGHTS MOXY HOTEL TIMES SQUARE,

ALL GROUND TRANSPORTATION FROM AIRPORT/HOTEL, HOTEL/GAME, HOTEL/AIRPORT
DEPART MORNING WEDNESDAY DEC 28
RETURN MORNING SATURDAY DEC 31

This bowl is so stupid. The only reason to be in NYC in the dead of winter is NY Eve and NY Day. But instead of that, let's plan the game two days earlier and have all travel packages leaving before the holiday. Yeah, no. Hard pass.

This bowl is so stupid. The only reason to be in NYC in the dead of winter is NY Eve and NY Day. But instead of that, let's plan the game two days earlier and have all travel packages leaving before the holiday. Yeah, no. Hard pass.
LOL, right. Staying right in Times Square ..... so you can come home the day of the world famous ball drop. To be honest, to stay right in TS on NYE probably costs 10x.

There are 5 bowl games on the 30th, so that is my wild guess as to why they opted for the 29th instead. Only be 3 bowl games that day ... and an NFL Thurs night game.

Creative Charters sent out their bowl game price today... they want $3k for two ppl :LOL::LOL::LOL: I'd spend that on a special experience like the Rose Bowl, but not this.

I don't know how y'all do the bowl game traveling bit, it is soooo expensive to do so from the Twin Cities.
I can't believe anyone goes on those charters for that money. Not to mention that website looks like a geocities site from 1996.

LOL, right. Staying right in Times Square ..... so you can come home the day of the world famous ball drop. To be honest, to stay right in TS on NYE probably costs 10x.

Expecting them to “add” a NYE stay in Times Square onto the package is a bit like expecting an add-on excursion into outer-space to your Cape Canaveral beach vacation.

Last edited:

A site (which I didn't have ability to corroborate) lists all 2022-23 bowl payouts. Big Ten bowls include:
Citrus, $8,224,578
Reliaquest, $6,400,000
Music City, $5,700,000
Duke's Mayo, $4,780,461
Pinstripe, $4,400,000
Quick Lane, $2,000,000
Guaranteed Rate, $1,625,000

Other bowls such as Rose and Orange have a "contract" payment not included on the site.

Rank ordering seems about right, except kind of confused by Quick Lane being above Guaranteed Rate. To the extent payout is a rough proxy for the intrinsic value of the bowl: (1) I am surprised that Guaranteed Rate places so low and (2) think we got treated more poorly last year than this year.

For those who hate NYC and/or northern city, outdoor bowls, we'll have the Pinstripe behind us next year. But with the schedule we face in 2023, who knows what bowl we might be looking at.

I can't believe anyone goes on those charters for that money. Not to mention that website looks like a geocities site from 1996.
They probably did that back then, and don't ever update the code. Just update the text.

The only reason is the $4,400,000 that the Yankees are paying the Big Ten to play it there.

A site (which I didn't have ability to corroborate) lists all 2022-23 bowl payouts. Big Ten bowls include:
Citrus, $8,224,578
Reliaquest, $6,400,000
Music City, $5,700,000
Duke's Mayo, $4,780,461
Pinstripe, $4,400,000
Quick Lane, $2,000,000

Rank ordering seems about right. , except kind of confused by Quick Lane being above Guaranteed Rate. To the extent payout is a rough proxy for the intrinsic value of the bowl: (1) I am surprised that Guaranteed Rate places so low and (2) think we got treated more poorly last year than this year.

For those who hate NYC and/or northern city, outdoor bowls, we'll have the Pinstripe behind us next year. But with the schedule we face in 2023, who knows what bowl we might be looking at.
Well again, the speculation is that Coyle/Fleck wanted and lobbied for the GR over the Pinstripe last year. No way to know for sure.

Citrus, $8,224,578
Reliaquest, $6,400,000
Music City, $5,700,000
Duke's Mayo, $4,780,461
Pinstripe, $4,400,000
Quick Lane, $2,000,000

Rank ordering seems about right. , except kind of confused by Quick Lane being above Guaranteed Rate. To the extent payout is a rough proxy for the intrinsic value of the bowl: (1) I am surprised that Guaranteed Rate places so low and (2) think we got treated more poorly last year than this year.

I was thinking a 2QB lineup and he goes out for a pass for a TD.
giphy.gif

The only reason is the $4,400,000 that the Yankees are paying the Big Ten to play it there.
Pre-covid, the game was getting around 37k attendance once the novelty wore off. Last year it didn't quite get to 30k.

If they get 30k this year, they'd have to average $146.67 in net revenue per ticket just to break even. That doesn't include any taxes or fees on top, so probably avg ticket price more like $170-180?

Creative Charters sent out their bowl game price today... they want $3k for two ppl :LOL::LOL::LOL: I'd spend that on a special experience like the Rose Bowl, but not this.

I don't know how y'all do the bowl game traveling bit, it is soooo expensive to do so from the Twin Cities.
I thought the point of a charter group was to make it cheaper?

Pre-covid, the game was getting around 37k attendance once the novelty wore off. Last year it didn't quite get to 30k.

If they get 30k this year, they'd have to average $146.67 in net revenue per ticket just to break even. That doesn't include any taxes or fees on top, so probably avg ticket price more like $170-180?
30K homeless folks in the Bronx show up for the soup line and eat during the game. "Who hates NYC, we hate NYC!!!" 😁

What are you even arguing, anymore? What is the "point" that you've won?

There clearly is no consistent set of rules or objective criteria that you can apply from one year to the next that will ever make any sense for how the lower bowls are selected.

So what? Did you "win" the discussion, then?
Not you, but other people earlier in this thread have argued that bowl placements are in fact based on merit, and that the Gophers deserve the low tier bowl games they get slotted into. That apparently Iowa, who won fewer games than we did, and had 2 home losses to teams that went 4-8, had an objectively better season than we did, and deserve a better bowl game for that reason.

Citrus, $8,224,578
Reliaquest, $6,400,000
Music City, $5,700,000
Duke's Mayo, $4,780,461
Pinstripe, $4,400,000
Quick Lane, $2,000,000

Other bowls such as Rose and Orange have a "contract" payment not included on the site.

Rank ordering seems about right, except kind of confused by Quick Lane being above Guaranteed Rate. To the extent payout is a rough proxy for the intrinsic value of the bowl: (1) I am surprised that Guaranteed Rate places so low and (2) think we got treated more poorly last year than this year.

I don't know if we'll have the Pinstripe behind us. According to this, the Pinstripe wanted 8 different teams in 8 years and we are the 8th team. I wouldn't put it past the BG10 pukes to send a 7-5 or 8-4 Gopher team to the game again very soon if it resets next year.

pinstripe criteria.png

I'm impartial on this whole thing. However, I'm curious, to those saying we shouldn't be in this bowl game, what would be the better option? Going back to Arizona again, or what?

I'm impartial on this whole thing. However, I'm curious, to those saying we shouldn't be in this bowl game, what would be the better option? Going back to Arizona again, or what?

The Gophers were headed to this bowl game the second they lost to Iowa for their 4th loss. The only teams eligible for the Pinstripe this year were Illinois and Minnesota. Illinois had several advantages this year and were going to be picked higher assuming Minnesota had the same or worse record.

Edit: I'm curious about where Minnesota would have been placed if they had beaten Iowa. Does the Reliaquest still pick Illinois with an 8-4 record and head to head win over a 9-3 Minnesota?

I don't know if we'll have the Pinstripe behind us. According to this, the Pinstripe wanted 8 different teams in 8 years and we are the 8th team. I wouldn't put it past the BG10 pukes to send a 7-5 or 8-4 Gopher team to the game again very soon if it resets next year.

View attachment 22298
The eight years originally referred to 2014-2021, the original contract.

It was extended to align with the current bowl contract cycle over 2020-2025. So 4 extra years, which this was the first year.

So wondering if that was just a copy-paste holdover from the 2021 document? Did the eight years already expire? Or did they shift the eight year window?

The eight years originally referred to 2014-2021, the original contract.

It was extended to align with the current bowl contract cycle over 2020-2025. So 4 extra years, which this was the first year.

So wondering if that was just a copy-paste holdover from the 2021 document? Did the eight years already expire? Or did they shift the eight year window?

I suppose the Pinstripe could use that perpetual "8 teams in 8 years" window. That would put Penn State in play next year (they went in 2014). Oh my, how those fans would howl.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/bowls/pinstripe-bowl.html

Yeah, probably they just continue to ask for "eight different teams in the last eight years", every year perpetually.

It's just to get people to NYC, as a tourism thing. I bet the city subsidizes it or cuts a sweet deal to Steinbrenner and the Yankees, to put it up. TV contract helps to pay for the conference payouts, and the Yankees keep the gate.

Yep, there was a time going to the Sun Bowl (twice) was Exhibit A as evidence of Gophers dissing by the Bowl Selection Conspiracy Consortium or BSCC...

Bottom line for each and every season is that the better you perform in the W-L column, the better any given team's chance of landing a good bowl increases.

Where the Gophers ended up this year bowl-wise was completely in their control. Unfortunately skidded into the ditch a couple of times this year...

View attachment 22292
I remember back in the sun bowl days being 'picked' over I believe Michigan state for the Alamo bowl? I think Coach Mason said it back then and continues to say that placement 'should' be based on W-L.

I'm not sure if there's a conspiracy against the Gophers when it comes to bowl selection but I generally agree with the side that MN seems to get the short end of the stick more often than not. I think you're right that the better your W-L column the better chance at a better bowl. Keyword = chance.

I know it's been hashed out before, but last year Penn state jumped everyone to get Tampa. With WI and Purdue also jumping us based on the head to head argument, I think it's fair to feel slighted again this year. We probably deserve pinstripe but when will the Gophers catch a break when it comes to bowl selection? And when I say break, I mean they get selected to a bowl higher than their record would suggest and not because of circumstances around other teams. For example, the citrus bowl didn't select us, they were kinda stuck with us based on where the other big ten teams could go at that time.

Honest question: For obvious reasons I'm not suggesting I'd rather have Norwood back as AD... But, so we think someone like Norwood would be more influential on bowl selection lobbying? That's not a slight at Coyle. We all have things we're stronger at and I think Norwood wouldn't have said nothing last year when PSU jumped everyone.

Not you, but other people earlier in this thread have argued that bowl placements are in fact based on merit, and that the Gophers deserve the low tier bowl games they get slotted into. That apparently Iowa, who won fewer games than we did, and had 2 home losses to teams that went 4-8, had an objectively better season than we did, and deserve a better bowl game for that reason.

Seems right though the Big Ten always talks about Conference wins. Can understand it. Non-Conference schedules are all over the place. This year the Gophers and Iowa both finished at 5-4 in the Conference but Iowa beat the Gophers.

They outplayed Iowa but still got got beat. Beat Iowa and the Gophers tie for the Big West title but don't go the the Championship Game 'cuz Purdue beat them head-to-head.

They still might get passed over to the game they've earned but a 9-3 record, 6-3 in the Conference and having the Axe and Floyd in the trophy case would feel a whole lot better.

Seems right though the Big Ten always talks about Conference wins. Can understand it. Non-Conference schedules are all over the place. This year the Gophers and Iowa both finished at 5-4 in the Conference but Iowa beat the Gophers.

They outplayed Iowa but still got got beat. Beat Iowa and the Gophers tie for the Big West title but don't go the the Championship Game 'cuz Purdue beat them head-to-head.

They still might get passed over to the game they've earned but a 9-3 record, 6-3 in the Conference and having the Axe and Floyd in the trophy case would feel a whole lot better.
I'd like to think we're in the Outback over Illinois with that. But then again, Outback liked that Illinois hasn't been there since the 1990 season. We were just there in the 2019 season, so maybe once again it wouldn't matter.

Top Bottom