***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

It's not a one or another thing. Both can be true. The refs were bad down the stretch and that favored Purdue. It's also true that MN didn't execute and could have won even with the bad calls.
This is the only way to look at it imo.

I just don't like Pitino's lack of in game adjustments and the fact he does nothing to develop any depth, his teams are improving but put Izzo behind the bench with the same talent and game situation as last night and he wins 9 of 10 times.

There aren't many Tom Izzo level coaches. Keep in mind conference road teams have now lost 15 of the first 16 games in conference this year. It's tough to win on the road.

I didn't have any problem with the game planning last night with the exception of the decision to take the air out of the ball with two minutes to go. I didn't like that decision but that was one or two possessions.

Developing depth is hard for me to evaluate. Right now their entire bench is freshman with the exception of Hurt and Omersa. I feel like Omersa is further along than he was last year but still has a ways to go offensively. Hurt is a bit player at best. Have the four freshman "developed"? Hard for me to say 12-14 games into their career here. Williams is absolutely a Big Ten player down the line. Has he been "developed" or was that his skill set when he arrived?

Would have been run out either way in the second game. This was after having a 9-11 Big 10 record.

We are spinning our wheels here, sir. You saw it again last night.

Still trying to wrap my head around that you believe '17-18 and last season were failed seasons. You are definitely the most pure of the unbelievers.

Coaches and Players need a hundred things to go right to win that game. In the end they came up with 99. Easy to point at the one or two things that didn't go right but that is pretty simplistic thinking.

...good job on the effort guys. ...still a tough loss. Reload for the next game and make sure next time you have 110 things go right.

I didn't say officiating can NEVER be a deciding factor. I said multiple times it wasn't the deciding factor in this particular game.

And the bold part doesn't even make sense.

By your logic that is indeed what you are saying. You are saying that because other events occurred in this game that officiating could not be the deciding factor. Are there games where no other factors exist, rendering officiating the only deciding factor?

I just don't like Pitino's lack of in game adjustments and the fact he does nothing to develop any depth, his teams are improving but put Izzo behind the bench with the same talent and game situation as last night and he wins 9 of 10 times.

Painter is considered the equal of Izzo, I didn't think he outcoached our staff last night. Painter himself said Carr just ran out of gas. As usual, Painter impressed during postgame.

I don't know how anybody can watch the game last night and come away with a negative vibe toward the direction of this team. I really don't.

Last night 75 of our 78 points and 43 of our 50 rebounds were from freshman and sophomores. This team is literally getting next to nothing from upperclassmen due to graduation, early departure, transfer, and injury. The future is bright with many of these players.

Despite facing one of the best front court combos we will face this year in Williams/Harms, we out-rebounded them by ten on their home court.

Despite having our second best shooter and second best option bringing the ball up the court (Willis) out of the game, our point guard looked like Bobby Jackson until he literally ran out of gas.

Despite a number of questionable calls, a number of gut punch threes, a number of Purdue runs, this team kept coming back time and time again. We have three or four guys that are mentally tough and absolutely bear down on the defensive end.

Yet, the Pitino and Carr bashing continues. Unbelievable.

That was one of the weakest Purdue teams you will ever see. We lost in a way that was not surprising to me due to what I have seen for 7 straight years with this coach.

We are 7-6........ho hum again.

Painter is considered the equal of Izzo, I didn't think he outcoached our staff last night. Painter himself said Carr just ran out of gas. As usual, Painter impressed during postgame.

Painter is considered the equal of Izzo? By whom?

Still trying to wrap my head around that you believe '17-18 and last season were failed seasons. You are definitely the most pure of the unbelievers.
Painter is considered the equal of Izzo? By whom?

I would rank Painter close to Izzo. You seriously believe '17-18 and last season were failed seasons?

That was one of the weakest Purdue teams you will ever see. We lost in a way that was not surprising to me due to what I have seen for 7 straight years with this coach.

So for the record you have the Gophers at about 4 or 5 wins in conference? How about Purdue? 5 or 6 wins?

There aren't many Tom Izzo level coaches. Keep in mind conference road teams have now lost 15 of the first 16 games in conference this year. It's tough to win on the road.

I didn't have any problem with the game planning last night with the exception of the decision to take the air out of the ball with two minutes to go. I didn't like that decision but that was one or two possessions.

Developing depth is hard for me to evaluate. Right now their entire bench is freshman with the exception of Hurt and Omersa. I feel like Omersa is further along than he was last year but still has a ways to go offensively. Hurt is a bit player at best. Have the four freshman "developed"? Hard for me to say 12-14 games into their career here. Williams is absolutely a Big Ten player down the line. Has he been "developed" or was that his skill set when he arrived?

When Pitino took that timeout with 2:48 or 2:46 to play in regulation, I told my wife, the momentum just swung as the gophers will come out not to lose instead of attacking. Gophers had bad possessions since that time. They needed to continue to do what got them there. Instead of the timeout, I wish Pitino would have called a set play or something there to use some clock instead of ruining the flow of the game. Gophers came out of that timeout a different team until the 1st OT.

My other pet peeve overall is with B10 officiating as last night's game epitomizes why there are so many upsets come March Madness. The officials finally call games neutral come tourney time (call neutral in conference tourneys too). It is hard enough to win on the road and I wish officials called the game the same on both ends. Last night, a foul was not the same on both ends.

If you take the emotion out of it (granted - not easy to do) - here is how I see it.

there were calls that hurt the Gophers. Some of them may have been questionable - but the easiest thing to do in sports is to watch a game from the Stands or your couch and second-guess every call. These are big, fast athletic people moving at high speed. You can put calls on super slow-mo and still not be sure what happened. But a guy running down the court with a striped shirt is supposed to be right 100% of the time - calling the plays in real time. it's just not that bleepin' easy.

And - you can cherry pick two or three calls that went against your team and claim that impacted the outcome.

but, what about missed shots earlier in the game.....turnovers.....bad decisions? those happen in every game.

As I said before, 99% of all games are decided by the players. Not by officiating.

the Gophers have no backup PG. when Oturu is out of the game, they have 1 scoring threat on the floor in Carr. Kalscheur disappears when closely guarded. Other players provide no offense.

If you want to believe that the officiating is the only reason the Gophers lost, that is your privilege. My ratio of blame would be: players 70% - Coaching 25% - officiating 5%.

If Painter was an elite coach, they would have been going down low each possession to finish the game. Exactly how were we going to defend that? Oturu was letting them score with four fouls yet they had Harms away from the hoop. The other big was on the bench too often worried he wouldn’t make free throws. Get Omersa and Oturu fouled out and it’s over.

If you take the emotion out of it (granted - not easy to do) - here is how I see it.

there were calls that hurt the Gophers. Some of them may have been questionable - but the easiest thing to do in sports is to watch a game from the Stands or your couch and second-guess every call. These are big, fast athletic people moving at high speed. You can put calls on super slow-mo and still not be sure what happened. But a guy running down the court with a striped shirt is supposed to be right 100% of the time - calling the plays in real time. it's just not that bleepin' easy.

And - you can cherry pick two or three calls that went against your team and claim that impacted the outcome.

but, what about missed shots earlier in the game.....turnovers.....bad decisions? those happen in every game.

As I said before, 99% of all games are decided by the players. Not by officiating.

the Gophers have no backup PG. when Oturu is out of the game, they have 1 scoring threat on the floor in Carr. Kalscheur disappears when closely guarded. Other players provide no offense.

If you want to believe that the officiating is the only reason the Gophers lost, that is your privilege. My ratio of blame would be: players 70% - Coaching 25% - officiating 5%.
Our players played a heck of a game. In the end Purdue's shooter Stephanovich - made a big play at the end of regulation that we were unable to match (despite two great chances). Once it got into overtime their depth won the game. (They got 80 minutes from their bench- we got 40 minutes). So our starting 5 had to play and average of 8 minutes more than theirs. The officials blew two calls that were crucial- the Demir "kicking call" and the Oturu traveling- which was a foul on Purdue. We should have won the game in regulation but three things had to happen:

They made a big play- we didn't- and the refs blew some calls.

33% Purdue/33% Gophers/ 33% zebras

Maybe you could expand on the shot at the coach. Is there some stat on close games lost by Pitino or are you just a sulking because we lost?

Maybe you could expand on the shot at the coach. Is there some stat on close games lost by Pitino or are you just a sulking because we lost?

Oturu did not touch the ball once when up 5 with under 2 minutes to go. NOT ONCE! In tight games we are always running around the perimeter with no offense being run. We eventually launch a contested 3

Also, I have seen the following with MY OWN EYES!

8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11
1-2......but looking good I hear!

I would rank Painter close to Izzo. You seriously believe '17-18 and last season were failed seasons?

Not failed seasons, but average seasons. I think there is more out there. Ask Fleck if confused.

Oturu did not touch the ball once when up 5 with under 2 minutes to go. NOT ONCE! In tight games we are always running around the perimeter with no offense being run. We eventually launch a contested 3

8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11

There are those on this board who are certainly not enamored with Pitino, but until now haven't heard anyone with the view that '17-18 and last season were failure seasons. Perhaps you were just using hyperbole for effect?

There are those on this board who are certainly not enamored with Pitino, but until now haven't heard anyone with the view that '17-18 and last season were failure seasons. Perhaps you were just using hyperbole for effect?

I never said failed seasons, I said average season. We finished top half at 11-7, but then got squashed by MTSU or whatever the hell they were called.

9-11 will always be average to me. I hope you expect more than that.

8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11

I have issues with some of the coaching decisions from last night as well as some of the player decisions. The timeout at the end of regulation was a killer.

Still, by your own number you are including the big 10 coach of the year which seems at odds with your "7 strait" comment. Matt Painter went 5-13 in 2013 which seems at odds with the Purdue comment. If you didnt think they played well vs Ohio State I would question whether you even watch college basketball.

You really just come on here to complain? - maybe there is a therapist you could see. There's a business idea...

8-10
6-12
2-16
11-7
4-14
9-11

He coached a great game, had a good game plan which gave us better looks than Purdue, his players played their fannies off- and this is what you come up with today. Well ok. I have talked to a lot of Gopher fans today (not on this site) who are pretty optimistic about what they saw. I really like this team and these players. Tons of heart! I will be supporting them and the coach all year.

He coached a great game, had a good game plan which gave us better looks than Purdue, his players played their fannies off- and this is what you come up with today. Well ok. I have talked to a lot of Gopher fans today (not on this site) who are pretty optimistic about what they saw. I really like this team and these players. Tons of heart! I will be supporting them and the coach all year.

We had better looks than Purdue? How so?

I never said failed seasons, I said average season. We finished top half at 11-7, but then got squashed by MTSU or whatever the hell they were called.

9-11 will always be average to me. I hope you expect more than that.

Will give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant average. Still would be surprised if any other.poster thought of those seasons as average when those seasons ended. Seems unfair.

I thought they've played with heart all 7 years. That's never been the issue.

Will give you the benefit of the doubt that you meant average. Still would be surprised if any other.poster thought of those seasons as average when those seasons ended. Seems unfair.

What is 9-11, with a tourney win...........way above average?

The similarities between the end of the women's game against Ohio State on Tuesday and the end of regulation in the men's game against Purdue are downright eerie. After going up by four points with 2:55 to play, the women were outscored 7-0, making two turnovers to Ohio State's none. After going up by five points with 3:20 to play, the men were outscored 5-0 in regulation, making three turnovers to Purdue's none. Ouch and ouch!

Last edited:

Our players played a heck of a game. In the end Purdue's shooter Stephanovich - made a big play at the end of regulation that we were unable to match (despite two great chances). Once it got into overtime their depth won the game. (They got 80 minutes from their bench- we got 40 minutes). So our starting 5 had to play and average of 8 minutes more than theirs. The officials blew two calls that were crucial- the Demir "kicking call" and the Oturu traveling- which was a foul on Purdue. We should have won the game in regulation but three things had to happen:

They made a big play- we didn't- and the refs blew some calls.

33% Purdue/33% Gophers/ 33% zebras

His 3 was far worse than that. Watch the shuffling of the feet (travel) by Williams in the lane just before he got it to Stefanovich...another key non-call in Purdue's favor. There had to be about 6-10 or more high-influence calls and non-calls, all in Purdue's favor, in the last 2 minutes of regulation, OT, and 2OT alone. Worse, they were stopping the damn game for minutes on end just to check calls that weren't even meaningful (such as the ball OOB with no time left on the shot clock), or to dither about a difference of 0.1 seconds on the game clock. I mean come on. As if those play stoppages don't completely affect the flow of the game. No reviews in a game like basketball should ever take nearly that long, period. And then of course, they didn't bother at all to check the "kick" call, which clearly was not.

Every one of those chumps in stripes should be demoted for that game-changing traveshamockery they put on last night. Well-reffed games are those in which the refs are never noticed. Last night was anything but.

Top Bottom