***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

What do you think of them as?
You seem to have the perspective that the University of Minnesota basketball program should be at the level of Duke or Kentucky. While high hopes are nice, that's also unrealistic. Any year with a NCAA Tournament appearance should be a satisfactory one to UofM fans, who just 20 years ago were presented with the gift that the NCAA would be significantly harming our program for the next decade. Pitino has had both good and bad seasons here, some his responsibility each way, some not. His squads have, honestly, been nearly as good as some of the Clem years, which if we were to really look back on, weren't as good as we may have fondly remembered. So the truth is that Pitino has the Gopher bball program nearer to the top levels than to the bottom levels of Gopher bball program going back to the early 1980s. Is he the greatest coach ever? Well obviously not yet. Is he bad? Clearly not. And the current squad is playing as hard as any Gopher bball squad I can remember since the 90's. This level of effort is suggestive of good things to come...

Not reading through all of the previous comments, but here's my quick take on this team, and the pieces that are in place for the future.

With the season ending injury to Curry, and ongoing injury to Willis, this team is extremely undermanned. I believe our bench can provide some key minutes, however, those will be minutes without much scoring/offensive flow. I trust the defense/decision making a lot more now for Hurt and Omersa, but I also recognize that they aren't scoring threats. This will definitely pose some problems (and already has this season) when one of our primary scorers gets into foul trouble, but that's unfortunately the hand we've been dealt. Regardless, this team is tough, and shows a lot of grit on the floor, and I appreciate that. Other than that Iowa game, I truly believe this squad can hang with anybody in the conference, especially if they're hitting some outside shots and avoiding significant foul trouble.

Overall, though, there are some GREAT pieces in place for the next couple of seasons, which really excites me. Our sophomore class has to be one of the strongest in the B1G, and it will be invaluable getting this early playing time for both Williams and Ihnen. Plus, having a healthy Curry and Willis next year will be huge. It would be nice to pick up one more recruit in this incoming class, but it's still a decent class with just the two.

There will absolutely be some frustrations this year, but I think this team has the potential to surprise some people. Let's go, Gophers!

What do you think of them as?

Certainly above average. Outside og
Reusse, can't believe many or any of our fans thought of 2017-18 as average. Don't think our fans at the Louisville game though of last season as average. Would agree with you that last season's conference record was average, but our play in the BTT and the dance resulted in the season being more than average. Fine if you think this season will go nowhere, you may be right, but strongly disagree with your opinions of those two seasons.

Certainly above average. Outside og
Reusse, can't believe many or any of our fans thought of 2017-18 as average. Don't think our fans at the Louisville game though of last season as average. Would agree with you that last season's conference record was average, but our play in the BTT and the dance resulted in the season being more than average. Fine if you think this season will go nowhere, you may be right, but strongly disagree with your opinions of those two seasons.

No, I would call last year average. We were 9-11(that's a losing big 10 record), won a game and got blown out beyond comprehension in round 2. Above average maybe, but that's the severe low expectations at Minnesota.

No, I would call last year average. We were 9-11(that's a losing big 10 record), won a game and got blown out beyond comprehension in round 2. Above average maybe, but that's the severe low expectations at Minnesota.

Fair enough. Just think you are out on a limb by yourself on this one. Would agree with you that our history lends to low expectations. Hopefully that can change sooner rather than later.

Fair enough. Just think you are out on a limb by yourself on this one. Would agree with you that our history lends to low expectations. Hopefully that can change sooner rather than later.

After 7 years, you try something different. See Fleck!

After 7 years, you try something different. See Fleck!

And am sure there are those who would agree with you about trying something different, just not your assessment of those two seasons.

Has anyone found video of Pitino's post-game presser last night? Would love to see what he said about the game.

Has anyone found video of Pitino's post-game presser last night? Would love to see what he said about the game.

Me as well, even if someone who saw it could give a summary.

Also, did anybody read any thoughts from Boiler media or fans? Am interested in their view but am too lazy to look myself.

From memory:

He's not a moral victory kind of guy, but he's never been prouder of an effort in his 7 years.

They fought their butts off. We would have lost by 20 without Carr, not going to criticize him for a couple mistakes.

The team is devastated to have lost. He will make them understand if they play like that every game they will win a lot of games.

I just don't like Pitino's lack of in game adjustments and the fact he does nothing to develop any depth, his teams are improving but put Izzo behind the bench with the same talent and game situation as last night and he wins 9 of 10 times.
Your brilliant! Now your comparing Patino to Izzo. Save that comparison to when Patino has the quality of players Izzo has, and the number of years he has had them.

Painter in presser: we feel like were on the wrong end (of some calls) early, while I'm sure Minnesota feels like they were late.

Hey golfin18now, I see you are logged in.

I want some "gopherhole cred" here.

gophers will have 8 wins after tomorrow

purdue finished with 9.

Top Bottom