***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I have not defended the officiating in the game. What I did was state multiple times the officiating did not cost the Gophers the game.

For some on here that opinion is too much for them to take.
It is fair to say that the officiating was not THE issue. But it is also fair to say that a few correct calls at the end could have changed the outcome in our favor. Officiating absolutely was a factor.

It is fair to say that the officiating was not THE issue. But it is also fair to say that a few correct calls at the end could have changed the outcome in our favor. Officiating absolutely was a factor.
If the Gophers would have executed at the end of regulation or in OT they wouldn’t have been in the position to need the refs to change the outcome.

Last edited:

So, the travelling call on Daniel(no foul), and lack of a foul called on Haarms on the Carr drive didn't play a part in the outcome?

You are flat out wrong.
Gophers had plenty of opportunities to win the game. Whatever calls were made or not made doesn’t change the fact the Gophers didn’t get it done.

If the Gophers would have executed at the end of regulation or in OT they wouldn’t have been in the position to need the refs to change the outcome.
The ref's aren't supposed to help one team over another. That happened last night. It was obvious. It happens and it is ok to acknowledge.

The refs 100% gave this game to Purdue. It was over there when Carr had the ball with like 13 seconds left to go and he got hammered leading to that 3 in the corner. They played well and deserved to win. Stuff like this is disheartening. Still mad about it this morning.

Gophers had plenty of opportunities to win the game. Whatever calls were made or not made doesn’t change the fact the Gophers didn’t get it done.
Yes, they did.

Now, answer my questions.

Do refs make bad calls? Absolutely!

Did the refs in the Purdue game get in a huddle and say "Let's screw the Gophers and make calls that favor Purdue?" No bleepin' way.

There is no conspiracy. You have every right to believe that some of the calls hurt the Gophers. But those calls were not intentional. Let's be clear about that.

In the end, calls influence the outcome of games. But in 99.5% of all games, the outcome of the game is determined by the players. go back in the 1st half when there were some missed layups or put-backs. I remember Oturu missing a bunny. If one of those shots goes in, that also changes the outcome of the game.

Don't like the officiating - Then don't put the game in a situation where one call can tip the outcome. Make plays. win the game. The Gophers didn't make enough plays to win the game.

It's a road game in arguably the toughest place to win in the Big Ten. They played well. Being there at the end with a chance to win is all you can hope for on the road in the Big Ten against any of the teams that are competitive(which is most of them this year).

It's a shame that the refs had to do that. It was not fair and I would hope Pitino is on the phone this morning to the league. It was just bad officiating at the end there, it was terrible and completely one sided.

We won a game and got embarrassed in game 2

What did you see?
Won a tournament game for the 2nd time in 20 years and lost to a superior team without one of the best players to ever wear a Gopher uniform.

Yes, they did.

Now, answer my questions.
Whatever calls were made or not made did not change the outcome.

Again, the Gophers inability to execute and the end of the game is what lost them the game . It really isn’t that hard of a concept to understand

Again, the Gophers inability to execute and the end of the game is what lost them the game . It really isn’t that hard of a concept to understand
I don't know, the steal when we were up 3 that was called a kicked ball without having touched our player's leg to give the ball back to Purdue was pretty outcome changing.

Won a tournament game for the 2nd time in 20 years and lost to a superior team without one of the best players to ever wear a Gopher uniform.

Would have been run out either way in the second game. This was after having a 9-11 Big 10 record.

We are spinning our wheels here, sir. You saw it again last night.

Would have been run out either way in the second game. This was after having a 9-11 Big 10 record.

And I disagree. Road game in the B1G, always hard. All of our key players are underclassmen, to show that kind of grit and be in a position to win was impressive. This is a group that beat Ohio State, in control the whole game, and then destroyed Oklahoma State in Oklahoma.

I'm seeing a lot of differences, personally.

You said: "Do those bad calls when they happen at the end of a game sometimes play a part in the outcome of the game - yes"

Answer my questions. Otherwise, you are simply being dishonest.

So, the travelling call on Daniel(no foul), and lack of a foul called on Haarms on the Carr drive didn't play a part in the outcome?

And I disagree. Road game in the B1G, always hard. All of our key players are underclassmen, to show that kind of grit and be in a position to win was impressive. This is a group that beat Ohio State, in control the whole game, and then destroyed Oklahoma State in Oklahoma.

I'm seeing a lot of differences, personally.

This team has been playing good defense lately for sure. That is what they have to hang their hat on. Carr has stepped up recently, which I have said before, is the thing that must happen for this team to have success.
With as good as Carr was last night though, he was really bad at the end of the game. Too much dribbling, etc. He needed to move the ball and get a good shot. They went like 3-5 times late in the game without even getting a shot up. Can't happen.

This team has been playing good defense lately for sure. That is what they have to hang their hat on. Carr has stepped up recently, which I have said before, is the thing that must happen for this team to have success.
With as good as Carr was last night though, he was really bad at the end of the game. Too much dribbling, etc. He needed to move the ball and get a good shot. They went like 3-5 times late in the game without even getting a shot up. Can't happen.
Agreed. RP needed to ensure it happened.

You said: "Do those bad calls when they happen at the end of a game sometimes play a part in the outcome of the game - yes"

Answer my questions. Otherwise, you are simply being dishonest.

I did answer your question. What calls made or not made including the ones you’re referring to did not change the outcome of the game.

Again, the Gophers inability to execute at the end of the game changed the outcome. It’s not a hard concept to understand.

By your logic though officiating can NEVER be the deciding factor because there will always be other game action, in every game. That simply doesn't make sense.

And really you are also admitting you are wrong in that the Gophers lack of execution was the ultimate reason. But how could that be? There were lots of other things that happened all the way from time the Gopher players woke up in the morning to the ultimate end of the game.

I agree, but I think this group will learn from the end game mistakes this game and move on.

The main one, when the gophers were up 3, Carr got hammered and it led to a 3 in the corner. That was the one that gave them the game. Game was over with and the refs single handedly gave it to them. Can't happen. Fire them, egg their cars, deflate their tires, throw snowballs at them. LOL

By your logic though officiating can NEVER be the deciding factor because there will always be other game action, in every game. That simply doesn't make sense.

And really you are also admitting you are wrong in that the Gophers lack of execution was the ultimate reason. But how could that be? There were lots of other things that happened all the way from time the Gopher players woke up in the morning to the ultimate end of the game.
I didn't say officiating can NEVER be a deciding factor. I said multiple times it wasn't the deciding factor in this particular game.

And the bold part doesn't even make sense.

I did answer your question. What calls made or not made including the ones you’re referring to did not change the outcome of the game.

Again, the Gophers inability to execute at the end of the game changed the outcome. It’s not a hard concept to understand.

Yes or no - So, the travelling call on Daniel(no foul), and lack of a foul called on Haarms on the Carr drive didn't play a part in the outcome?

I don't know how anybody can watch the game last night and come away with a negative vibe toward the direction of this team. I really don't.

Last night 75 of our 78 points and 43 of our 50 rebounds were from freshman and sophomores. This team is literally getting next to nothing from upperclassmen due to graduation, early departure, transfer, and injury. The future is bright with many of these players.

Despite facing one of the best front court combos we will face this year in Williams/Harms, we out-rebounded them by ten on their home court.

Despite having our second best shooter and second best option bringing the ball up the court (Willis) out of the game, our point guard looked like Bobby Jackson until he literally ran out of gas.

Despite a number of questionable calls, a number of gut punch threes, a number of Purdue runs, this team kept coming back time and time again. We have three or four guys that are mentally tough and absolutely bear down on the defensive end.

Yet, the Pitino and Carr bashing continues. Unbelievable.

Yes or no - So, the travelling call on Daniel(no foul), and lack of a foul called on Haarms on the Carr drive didn't play a part in the outcome?
I've already answered this twice. See post #429 & #436 What don't you understand?

I try this with you. Yes or No - Carr's multiple turnovers and the teams inability to execute down the stretch did not change the outcome?

I don't know how anybody can watch the game last night and come away with a negative vibe toward to direction of this team. I really don't.

Last night 75 of our 78 points and 43 of our 50 rebounds were from freshman and sophomores. This team is literally getting next to nothing from upperclassmen due to graduation, early departure, transfer, and injury. The future is bright with many of these players.

Despite facing one of the best front court combos we will face this year in Williams/Harms, we out-rebounded them by ten on their home court.

I can agree with you, but those frontcourt numbers and them being able to play with anyone relies almost 100% on Oturo. Yes, we have him this year, but not sure we will next. Especially if he can keep hitting those outside shots. That will make him a surefire 1st rounder.

He's good. Real good. I hope he stays at least one more year, but boy, I don't know.

I can agree with you, but those frontcourt numbers and them being able to play with anyone relies almost 100% on Oturo. Yes, we have him this year, but not sure we will next. Especially if he can keep hitting those outside shots. That will make him a surefire 1st rounder.

He's good. Real good. I hope he stays at least one more year, but boy, I don't know.

Don't worry about next year. Enjoy this team now.

I want Oturu to stay just as much as the next guy, but if he leaves that isn't a bad thing necessarily (long term). Part of the issue at the University has been a lack of NBA talent and a perception we can't put kids in the league. At the end of the day, that is what many of these kids want. That would be two years in a row where a Minnesota kid attending the University of Minnesota went on to the NBA. A run of NCAA tournament appearances and a run of kids making it to the NBA and the snowball can start going in the right direction for this program.

The Good!
1. Oturu looking like an NBA player with 29 and 18, including 2-4 from 3!
2. Carr penetrating with ease, 27 points, hitting 3-5 from 3.
3. Williams playing confidently on defense, contributing on the boards.
4 Defense was mostly solid, Stef was shooting out of his mind as Purdue always has this kind of player.
Harrms went off.

The Bad:
1. No bench, even without a starter in Willis, got to sneak minutes and give Carr a break.
2. Was hoping Ihnen could get minutes, feel we will need him at some point get him 2-3 minutes per half.

the Ugly:
1. Carr's late turnovers, he was gassed.
2. Demir 1-6 from the floor in 30 minutes.

***Purdue really misses Carson and his 24ppg.
Eastern is really struggling, went form 7.5 ppg to 3.9ppg, when most people for saw double figure scoring out of him.

I don't know how anybody can watch the game last night and come away with a negative vibe toward the direction of this team. I really don't.

Despite having our second best shooter and second best option bringing the ball up the court (Willis) out of the game, our point guard looked like Bobby Jackson until he literally ran out of gas.

Despite a number of questionable calls, a number of gut punch threes, a number of Purdue runs, this team kept coming back time and time again. We have three or four guys that are mentally tough and absolutely bear down on the defensive end.

Yet, the Pitino and Carr bashing continues. Unbelievable.

I just don't like Pitino's lack of in game adjustments and the fact he does nothing to develop any depth, his teams are improving but put Izzo behind the bench with the same talent and game situation as last night and he wins 9 of 10 times.

Don't worry about next year. Enjoy this team now.

I want Oturu to stay just as much as the next guy, but if he leaves that isn't a bad thing necessarily (long term). Part of the issue at the University has been a lack of NBA talent and a perception we can't put kids in the league. At the end of the day, that is what many of these kids want. That would be two years in a row where a Minnesota kid attending the University of Minnesota went on to the NBA. A run of NCAA tournament appearances and a run of kids making it to the NBA and the snowball can start going in the right direction for this program.
The other thing I like about this team is that they are building a culture of playing hard and playing defense. I see an identity for this team. I think this team could make the tournament. The next 5 games are an opportunity to win 4 of 5 and we would be back in position.

It's not a one or another thing. Both can be true. The refs were bad down the stretch and that favored Purdue. It's also true that MN didn't execute and could have won even with the bad calls.

I've already answered this twice. See post #429 & #436 What don't you understand?

I try this with you. Yes or No - Carr's multiple turnovers and the teams inability to execute down the stretch did not change the outcome?
Not until you answer yes or no as posed above. Thus far, your dishonesty is glaring.

Top Bottom