***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

this is a prime example why college basketball even NBA just isn’t watchable anymore. With the amount of reviews, even when it looks pretty self explainable they still take FOREVER to decide!, then the amount questionable calls I swear TV Teddy was out there! Sorry just had to get off my soapbox!
Misread your post. College buckets is far more watchable than NBA even with the way games are called.

When Carr lost the ball at the end of the 1st OT when the Gophs had the lead, it was because Purdue slapped Carr's arm hard from behind. Ref made no call. That was a foul, not a turnover.
Was a foul called? If not it’s a turnover.

Anytime we have to play 2 of these 3,Hunt, Omersa,and Bashirr, it is like playing with 2 decoys. Feel sorry for the other 3.

Truth is the Gophers lost because Carr turned the ball over numerous times last 2 minutes of regulation.
Right. ONLY turnovers. Bad calls, no matter how blatant, we should just ignore, as if they don’t have huge effects on the outcome? Plain stupid and cowardly to act like they don’t matter, particularly when things are that close. Gophers simply deserved better than to have that game taken from them, and stop acting like that isn’t the case.

Weirdo to your paranoia is getting the best of you.
It isn't paranoia if you do it time and time again. Only a hater would ignore how bad the officiating was in this game and blame the team. I'm not saying we didn't choke at the end but come on man...

When Carr lost the ball at the end of the 1st OT when the Gophs had the lead, it was because Purdue slapped Carr's arm hard from behind. Ref made no call. That was a foul, not a turnover.
He still has to do a better job of understanding the traffic around him and pass the ball. Cant dribble through everything.

Was a foul called? If not it’s a turnover.

I know you're in your element tonight trolling actual Gopher fans like the dick you are, but you know that's a ridiculous take, right?

Right. ONLY turnovers. Bad calls, no matter how blatant, we should just ignore, as if they don’t have huge effects on the outcome? Plain stupid and cowardly to act like they don’t matter, particularly when things are that close. Gophers simply deserved better than to have that game taken from them, and stop acting like that isn’t the case.
The Gophers did not lose because of the refs no matter how many times you say it.

I'm not disputing that we choked a little towards the end. Because we did.

But if the game is called even REMOTELY CLOSE both ways we're not in a position to choke. The play where Stefanovic threw the ball off Demir's knee and they called a kick ball is a perfect depiction of the officiating in this game.

It isn't paranoia if you do it time and time again. Only a hater would ignore how bad the officiating was in this game and blame the team. I'm not saying we didn't choke at the end but come on man...
The Gophers did not lose because of the refs. The Gophers blew it at the end of regulation. That is why they lost.

Carr can both be the reason why we were in the game and why we lost in the end. But nobody else stepped up, and he had to give everything in the tank.

Gabe’s best games are when he’s slashing to complement his shooting. It seemed like he was just parked in the corner down the stretch. I’ve seen him attack the rim just as well as Carr, but he just rarely goes for it.

Just venting my frustration. I’m worried this game might haunt us if we end up on the bubble.

You can't win games going 1 on 1 with the same guy over and over.. pass the ball, run your offense.
Carr is explosive player and made some big shots, but got complacent with the ball, I'm sure he was tired, but all the more reason to run your offense and get others involved. Gabe went long stretches late without touching the ball and then when he had to shoot he was out of rhythm...
more and more college teams are starting to play like NBA with the high ball screen, and go 1 on 1.. it wont consistently win you games.

I know you're in your element tonight trolling actual Gopher fans like the dick you are, but you know that's a ridiculous take, right?
Was a foul called? If not it’s a turnover. It’s really that simple.

I'm not disputing that we choked a little towards the end. Because we did.

But if the game is called even REMOTELY CLOSE both ways we're not in a position to choke. The play where Stefanovic threw the ball off Demir's knee and they called a kick ball is a perfect depiction of the officiating in this game.
To be fair, Purdue got some rough calls in the first half. It’s just brutal when all the bad calls against us are at the end of the game.

In regulation Marcus Carr was incredible, Bobby Jackson like. He ran out of gas or he doesn't turn it over 4-5 times in the OTs. If they had Willis, they would have won the game. The worst decision Carr made was to try to dribble through Purdue with 15 seconds left. They wanted to foul him. But I can't blame him for anything. He was amazing.

I am more confident in this team now than I was before this game. This team has something. I like this squad better than last year's team.

Hard to believe this is the same team that was playing in November. Last 4 games have been more than solid. No reason to think high level of play won't continue. Buckle up.

Here, Scools, here how it actually works. Let's forget about ALL of the other things that happened in the game, let's forget about the shoddy refereeing, and let's forget that Carr tried to do too much at the end and lost the ball too much, or that Pitino rode him too hard or didn't give him enough rest. Yeah, all of that happened. OK. And let's skip that Purdue was playing extremely physically, but didn't get 10 fouls called on them in the second half until the 2nd OT, while Purdue was shooting 2FT by almost mid-half. Let's skip all of that, and just go to this one point in time. Gophers are up, 69-68, and Purdue clanks a bad shot. Oturu comes down with a clean rebound, and Carr gets the ball, down to about 13 seconds left in OT. Carr clearly got hit hard on the back of his arm, and if the refs were fair, Carr, our best FT shooter, would have went to the line with the 1 point lead. Instead, the ball ends up in Purdue's hands, and they end up at the line, with a chance to win. Their guy, who if the call was correct, shouldn't have been at the line, deserves 0 points, but makes 1, and that's the final score after OT, 69-69.

Now, we can all say, well hell, maybe Carr makes none of his FTs and Purdue comes down and hits a GW shot. OK, that may have happened. But at least that scenario would have been fair. The way it actually worked out was not fair, and that's why Gopher fans are pissed. And that was only one critical bad call of many that went either against the Gophers or for Purdue late in that game.

So that's one extremely critical juncture in time. Purdue intentionally fouled Carr there, just like they did in regulation time. Neither time did Carr go to the line as he deserved, and both times the ball ended up in Purdue hands. And you sit here and act like none of that matters at all, which is completely false and completely asinine. If you want to sit here and say yep, sucks, it wasn't fair, but the Gophers should have played better, that's one thing. But you always have this stupid PC attitude that no one should bitch about the refs no matter how bad they rob one team over another, and act like that doesn't affect the outcome. And that's just pure BS, and you need to be called out for that pure BS. /endrant.

Last edited:

In regulation Marcus Carr was incredible, Bobby Jackson like. He ran out of gas or he doesn't turn it over 4-5 times in the OTs. If they had Willis, they would have won the game. The worst decision Carr made was to try to dribble through Purdue with 15 seconds left. They wanted to foul him. But I can't blame him for anything. He was amazing.

I am more confident in this team now than I was before this game. This team has something. I like this squad better than last year's team.

I agree with this. I honestly expected us to lose by 10 in this game. We get one or two calls that go our way, we squeak this out. If we had Willis, I think we win comfortably. Carr was absolutely incredible for 9/10ths of this game and then he got gassed.

I agree, this one hurts to not get...but big picture, this is a good thing. This game will put confidence into our players that they're able to go into any road game(except maybe MSU) and have a chance to win. That's not something I thought we'd be saying earlier on this year. Purdue will be a tournament team and are notoriously difficult at home. Shake this one off, this is a valuable experience for a young team. Let's go crush Northwestern and get Willis healthy.

This team will win way more games than many of you posting after the Iowa game would lead us to believe. That's the big picture. Great fight.

Purdue was TRYING to foul. The guy did hit his arm. It’s obvious. That would be called 99/100 times. And that was the game. It was over there. Somehow they didn’t decide to call it and here we are. Say what you want about any of this. If the refs call that foul that Purdue was trying to make, the game is over. That hurts.

Also, on the phantom “kick” the ball was slapped directly to Oturu for a clear breakaway was it not. Of course PU scores. A four point swing.
Out of all the calls, those two were the real difference makers.

Top Bottom