***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT FLORIDA STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

The guys in baby blue were way too physical. Hope that's not a bad sign for how conference play will go.

How much did we lose by, 8. How many FT's did we miss? 14. You can't make this stuff up! Guys need to make there FT's and we win the game, probably...
Testify!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Please Pitino; get 3 set plays from your dad that you can use as soon as things get out of hand.

Way to go Konate!!! 7 points -- 6 rebounds -- 1 steal -- 1 block -- 1 turnover.

Agree, they really looked confused in their sets, the ball never goes in the middle, if it does it never comes back out.

Konate played well, I wonder about Lynch, is he going to be athletic enough to play against B1G competition.

Agree, they really looked confused in their sets, the ball never goes in the middle, if it does it never comes back out.

Konate played well, I wonder about Lynch, is he going to be athletic enough to play against B1G competition.

I just don't think you are going to see any Big Ten teams with the size FSU has. Maybe Purdue is close but those FSU guys were massive. Our bigs have to learn to kick it out once in a while. We will be all right. I like that we hung in there for a little junk time comeback. That shows some pride.

How much did we lose by, 8. How many FT's did we miss? 14. You can't make this stuff up! Guys need to make there FT's and we win the game, probably...

Florida St missed 13 FTs as well. Charity stripe isn't why we lost the game tonight

I just don't think you are going to see any Big Ten teams with the size FSU has. Maybe Purdue is close but those FSU guys were massive. Our bigs have to learn to kick it out once in a while. We will be all right. I like that we hung in there for a little junk time comeback. That shows some pride.
agreed so how do you deal with the size other than good outside shooting which wasn't the case tonight?

Rough game for us, but going against ridiculous size and great depth, having a zillion fouls called, and Coffey sidelined most of the game, I am pretty hopeful this game is an outlier. Disappointing to see the negative nellies apparently watching their first Gopher basketball game of the season tonight.

Amen. This was really a tough matchup for the reasons you mention; it was also the team's first game on the road. I still believe this team has a fair chance to go 12-1 in non-conference play.

32% from the field probably hurts more. Our team is almost smack in the middle nationally for free throw percentage at just a hair below 70%. That puts us at 9th in the Big Ten, but there is only a difference of 4 percentage points between 12th and 5th. Shooting our season average from the free throw line would have gotten us about 3 more points. I don't think it's reasonable to expect 85% from the team every game, which is what it would have taken for us to win, assuming the rest of the game plays out the same, but I'd guess the Seminoles play tighter D when they're up 8 instead of 18 and don't give up 10 straight points at the end. Would have been nice to have those extra points at the line with the trouble we had scoring inside, but I don't like pinning losses squarely on missed free throws.

Amen. This was really a tough matchup for the reasons you mention; it was also the team's first game on the road. I still believe this team has a fair chance to go 12-1 in non-conference play.

Me too. And I apologize in advance for posting about free throws again ;)

This was a very tough match up... in fact, dunno how Florida State would lose another game with the players/talent that they have. But yet they always underachieve. I think we match up pretty good vs the B10 though. We all knew we wouldn't go undefeated, so this loss on the road, wasn't a bad one.

We probably will go 12-1 in nonconf. I don't see a game remaining on the nonconf schedule where we won't be favored. Vandy is the only major conference opponent we face before B1G play and they don't look like anything special. Got blown out by Michigan and Bucknell.

Our problem is that our nonconf SOS is not going to be very good. The two things that really help a team's RPI are playing against good teams and playing road/neutral site games. We haven't really done either. FSU is good and Arkansas is solid, the rest of the nonconf schedule is pretty weak, and 11 of 13 are/were at the Barn. We should expect to be 12-1 going into conference play, but we will have to grow up quickly when the time comes.

agreed so how do you deal with the size other than good outside shooting which wasn't the case tonight?

They dealt with it okay in the first half and then lost their heads for about 5 minutes in the second half. Don't turn it over 17 times, finish a few more plays, make your foul shots and the game is tight. Mason was just okay, and a lot of other guys had a tough night. That's not just size we saw- that was incredible size for a college basketball team. I think we can physically play with most Big Ten teams with what we have. This was a good learning experience.

This team only has one reliable ball handler, the others are a mess when handling the ball in traffic. That's going to be a problem.

Our problem is that our nonconf SOS is not going to be very good. The two things that really help a team's RPI are playing against good teams and playing road/neutral site games. We haven't really done either. FSU is good and Arkansas is solid, the rest of the nonconf schedule is pretty weak, and 11 of 13 are/were at the Barn. We should expect to be 12-1 going into conference play, but we will have to grow up quickly when the time comes.

I don't think this non-conference schedule is bad at all: 4 power conference teams and a couple of pretty decent mid-majors (UT Arlington, Arkansas State) that should contend pretty well in their conferences. I agree that playing almost all of the games at home is a drawback.

The Gophers' RPI is already good and I don't think tonight hurt much. If the Gophers go 12-1 in non-conference and .500 in league play, they probably make the NCAA tournament. If they don't go .500 in league play, they probably won't (and probably shouldn't) make the tournament.

I don't think this non-conference schedule is bad at all: 4 power conference teams and a couple of pretty decent mid-majors (UT Arlington, Arkansas State) that should contend pretty well in their conferences. I agree that playing almost all of the games at home is a drawback.

The Gophers' RPI is already good and I don't think tonight hurt much. If the Gophers go 12-1 in non-conference and .500 in league play, they probably make the NCAA tournament. If they don't go .500 in league play, they probably won't (and probably shouldn't) make the tournament.

It's not an awful nonconf schedule, but it's not going to do us any favors when we look at it in March. FSU is a good one. Arkansas could be a bubblish team. St John's and Vandy are probably going to finish in the bottom third of their conferences. Sure, UT-Arlington and Arkansas State could contend in their leagues, but those are single bid leagues. I agree that 12-1 in nonconf and .500 in league play would probably do the trick (depends how the bubble looks this year, but I'd give us better than 50/50 to make the tournament with those results), but I am worried that our nonconf schedule won't have us prepared for B1G play. I think some fans look for home games against major conference opponents without seeing the bigger picture which is that it is better to play a few more games on the road. Both in terms of helping our SOS and preparing the team for the rigors of B1G play. And I know some people don't like the tournaments (like Maui, Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.), but those are actually great in that they allow you to play a couple quality opponents on a neutral court. Can be a nice SOS boost when you need it at the end of the year.

RPI isn't going to sort itself out until at least mid-January so I wouldn't even pay attention to it right now. We could win the rest of our nonconference games and still see a significant drop in our RPI. It's very fluid this time of year. I'd be blown away if our SOS for nonconf ends up better than 120.

Please Pitino; get 3 set plays from your dad that you can use as soon as things get out of hand.

Way to go Konate!!! 7 points -- 6 rebounds -- 1 steal -- 1 block -- 1 turnover.
Yep. Konate was a positive in this game.

Really brutal second half tonight. I don't think FSU has as much success with their trapping defense in the second half if Coffey would have been able to be out there as another ball handler (and almost as importantly as a decision maker). It was the worst game of the year to date for Dupree who struggled in all facets and we really needed him as a playmaker. Speaking of struggling, Jordan Murphy....I hope we don't see this type of performance from him again. Ahmad Gilbert had two or three "Maverick Ahanmisi" moments which will be a concern going in to conference play if teams pressure and try to force him to put the ball on the floor. I know there has been some praise of Bakary, and I thought he was good by his standards, but it's really tough for this team to score with him on the floor. We ask our bigs to set a lot of on ball screens and he's not a good screener and the problem is compounded by his poor hands which make it tough to trust him on the roll. It's also tough when he's in the dunker position on the baseline and the guy driving just doesn't trust him enough to either throw him the lob or to catch a bounce pass and finish.

There were a few key sequences that were as much bad luck for the Gophers as they were talent from FSU that had a lot to do with this game getting out of hand. The first one was when Curry was left wide open for an easy baseline jumper that would have kept the game mangeable and he missed and then an FSU player came down and got fouled and knocked a couple ft's down. Then there was another one where Dupree get fouled should have went to the line, but instead they called it on the floor, Curry then either got stripped or was fouled/no call (tough to tell) and FSU scores in transition for another four point swing. Finally when the game was almost over anyway both Dupree and Reggie went to the line and missed two each.

Bottom line is that FSU team played well, especially in the second half, and when they play well I think they are capable of beating most teams. The only thing I saw tonight that really concerns me long term is I am not sure anyone is offensively talented enough to get their own high percentage shot.

agreed

Really good game plan by FSU trapping our best ball handler. Also did you notice how often they "forced" us by leaving Murphy our pf open, to pass to him at the 3 point line and make him make decisions going into the lane? We missed a more experienced Dorsey for a game like this. You need height, athleticism, and ball handling against such a huge and athletic team.

Not sure our bench will always play that well. 8-15 from the floor, 9-13 FT, and including 5-9 on three's! I do not want to total the starters %.

Lynch will be just fine against Big Ten Centers not named Thomas. Lynch has an akward and low release on his shot. Maybe he can learn a hook or turn around by next year.

Agree on Dupree, tough game and he has the length and athleticism to match up but just struggled.

Really brutal second half tonight. I don't think FSU has as much success with their trapping defense in the second half if Coffey would have been able to be out there as another ball handler (and almost as importantly as a decision maker). It was the worst game of the year to date for Dupree who struggled in all facets and we really needed him as a playmaker. Speaking of struggling, Jordan Murphy....I hope we don't see this type of performance from him again. Ahmad Gilbert had two or three "Maverick Ahanmisi" moments which will be a concern going in to conference play if teams pressure and try to force him to put the ball on the floor. I know there has been some praise of Bakary, and I thought he was good by his standards, but it's really tough for this team to score with him on the floor. We ask our bigs to set a lot of on ball screens and he's not a good screener and the problem is compounded by his poor hands which make it tough to trust him on the roll. It's also tough when he's in the dunker position on the baseline and the guy driving just doesn't trust him enough to either throw him the lob or to catch a bounce pass and finish.

Bottom line is that FSU team played well, especially in the second half, and when they play well I think they are capable of beating most teams. The only thing I saw tonight that really concerns me long term is I am not sure anyone is offensively talented enough to get their own high percentage shot.

Didn't see the game but my guess is 14 missed free throws and the fact that Sharpe played had a lot to do with the loss

Didn't play with any kind of edge last night

I would add there's not an alpha dog on this team. I didn't see a lot of energy or real "want-to" last night. Didn't play with any edge whatsoever. The end of the game run was meaningless, after the game had been decided, and when there was no pressure on. Not to mention, FSU took their foot off the gas.

Need someone to step up and say. "Playing like this is not acceptable." A little Lawrence Westbrook "attitude/cockiness" wouldn't hurt this club. Still plenty of time for that to develop.

You waited until a loss to come over to the bball board. Classy

Wrong....I came over because it was their first real test. I won't be back now until the B1G starts. There's not a team they shouldn't beat in the rest of the non conference games. The key for the Gophers this year is they have find a way to keep Amir on the floor for 30 minutes and cut down McBrayer on his shots. Those should go to Mason. Next year with Washington and better depth I see McBrayer as the second guy off the bench. McBrayer has to learn his value to the team is on defense. I'm thinking 18 wins and the NIT. Next year we should be dancing. Washington is a heck of a player, The future is bright.

Top Bottom