***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT FLORIDA STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Adding on to some of the frustration regarding the officiating, it was comically bad. In no way did it affect the outcome as it was equally bad for both teams, but something has to give as college basketball is becoming unwatchable. I will say the announcer last night did make a good argument by saying something along the lines of "if college basketball wants games to be officiated this way players need to be given 6 fouls."

Adding on to some of the frustration regarding the officiating, it was comically bad. In no way did it affect the outcome as it was equally bad for both teams, but something has to give as college basketball is becoming unwatchable. I will say the announcer last night did make a good argument by saying something along the lines of "if college basketball wants games to be officiated this way players need to be given 6 fouls."

Been there with The Big East. It was just as hard to watch as last night's game. Don't think that is the answer.

Wrong....I came over because it was their first real test. I won't be back now until the B1G starts. There's not a team they shouldn't beat in the rest of the non conference games. The key for the Gophers this year is they have find a way to keep Amir on the floor for 30 minutes and cut down McBrayer on his shots. Those should go to Mason. Next year with Washington and better depth I see McBrayer as the second guy off the bench. McBrayer has to learn his value to the team is on defense. I'm thinking 18 wins and the NIT. Next year we should be dancing. Washington is a heck of a player, The future is bright.

McBrayer has shot the ball well this year, as long as he plays within himself he's okay, he tends to be out of control when he drives to the basket at times. When he does that against teams that have some length he will struggle. None of the starters shot the ball well last night, without Springs, Gilbert, and Konate it really would have been a blowout.

Ojo and Koumadje clearly bothered us all night. The good news is, that not many teams have that type of Center rotation. Even in the Big Ten, when guys like Haas and Bryant come out of the game, they aren't replaced by 7'4 giants.

I expect Florida State to be a tourney team for sure, so this isn't a bad loss by any means. Just have to take care of business the rest if the way, in the non-conference, and we'll be good.

Wrong....I came over because it was their first real test. I won't be back now until the B1G starts. There's not a team they shouldn't beat in the rest of the non conference games. The key for the Gophers this year is they have find a way to keep Amir on the floor for 30 minutes and cut down McBrayer on his shots. Those should go to Mason. Next year with Washington and better depth I see McBrayer as the second guy off the bench. McBrayer has to learn his value to the team is on defense. I'm thinking 18 wins and the NIT. Next year we should be dancing. Washington is a heck of a player, The future is bright.

McBrayer has the highest effective field goal percentage of any of the starters and is currently 39% from 3. I think he's a bigger asset than you think. Last night was probably his worst shooting game of the season at 2-11 and 1-6 from 3. His 39% from 3 is after last night. I think he was at around 47% going in.

not one and done but you never know

Unless he makes a very bad decision he should be back for two more years. He needs about 20lbs minimum and a reliable 3 pt shot, but hey Rickert needed lots of things and went in the draft so you never know? He looks a bit like Corey Brewer.

I have a feeling his ppg will be closer to 10 during the big ten season and its half court pacing so I wouldn't think he would be getting a ton of pressure to leave this year.

is amir going to be around next year?

As you've admitted, you clearly haven't been watching this team. McBrayer has been instant offense and he is the future of this team. He's shooting 49% this season and 39% from three.

I would add there's not an alpha dog on this team. I didn't see a lot of energy or real "want-to" last night. Didn't play with any edge whatsoever. The end of the game run was meaningless, after the game had been decided, and when there was no pressure on. Not to mention, FSU took their foot off the gas.

Need someone to step up and say. "Playing like this is not acceptable." A little Lawrence Westbrook "attitude/cockiness" wouldn't hurt this club. Still plenty of time for that to develop.

I feel like Coffey has that, but he couldn't stay on the floor last night. Mason's also capable of it, but without quite the same ability to back it up.

The key for the Gophers this year is they have find a way to keep Amir on the floor for 30 minutes and cut down McBrayer on his shots. Those should go to Mason. Next year with Washington and better depth I see McBrayer as the second guy off the bench. McBrayer has to learn his value to the team is on defense.

You're totally right. Players who score in double figures while shooting 49% from the field and 39% from three clearly shouldn't be taking shots.

This 'point of emphasis' by the officiating during the non conference is making the non con unwatchable. 50 some fouls last night?

Add to that the horrible announcing. Three straight possions of talking about the super freshmen for Duke. Who gives a ****. Time and time again they were talking about things that had nothing to do with the game.

Throw in a few games that we miss the start or we get switched to another game and you have a recipe for disaster.

You're totally right. Players who score in double figures while shooting 49% from the field and 39% from three clearly shouldn't be taking shots.

McBrayer should not be taking shots from outside unless he is wide open. He's not a good jump shooter. Poor form and little rotation on his shot. Those percentages will go down as evidenced by the entirety of last season. He's good slashing to the hoop to draw fouls or dish, although his decision-making on when to do it is poor. The defensive side of the floor is where he provides value.

McBrayer should not be taking shots from outside unless he is wide open. He's not a good jump shooter. Poor form and little rotation on his shot. Those percentages will go down as evidenced by the entirety of last season. He's good slashing to the hoop to draw fouls or dish, although his decision-making on when to do it is poor. The defensive side of the floor is where he provides value.

Take out non conference last season. He shot rather decently from 3.

Pitino says he is the best three pt shooter on the team.

So far the only game that the home team has not won in the ACC-B1G challange is the Maryland Pitt game. This early in the season home court familiarity is a huge advantage, especially when teams are evenly matched. The Fl State game is played at the barn and the shooting % would have been very different.

Minnesota @ Fl State - Fl State
Wake Forest @ Northwestern - Northwestern
Iowa @ Notre Dame - Notre Dame
N Carolina St @ Illinois - Illinois
Syracuse @ Wisconsin - Wisconsin
Mich State @ Duke - Duke
Pitt @ Maryland - Pitt

A pretty big reason to schedule away games against big 5 opponents in the non conference part of the schedule if you care about your conference record. You really need to get that experience.

McBrayer is a horrible jump shooter and it is laughable that anyone would try to say otherwise. It's arbitrary to take out part of the season last year. Take out the St John's and Mount St Mary's games this year and he's 6/20 (30%) from three this year. See how easy that is? Guys, just face the facts, he's a really good defender, but shouldn't be taking a jump shot unless he is wide open.

I agree that he isn't a great shooter, but let's not act like we have so many offensive weapons that he shouldn't be a big part of our offense. We never have that many guys who are playmakers--he's one of them. I'm not sure what you mean by those percentages will go down as evidenced by the entirety of last season. Most freshmen have pretty horrendous percentages. Do you think his percentages won't be significantly better than last season? Also, his numbers were much better in Big Ten play than non-conference, so it's not like we should expect his play to decline significantly from stiffer competition. He shot under 37% on twos overall last year, but 41% during the BT. He shot only 25% from 3 overall last year, but 41% from three in conference play.

McBrayer is a horrible jump shooter and it is laughable that anyone would try to say otherwise. It's arbitrary to take out part of the season last year. Take out the St John's and Mount St Mary's games this year and he's 6/20 (30%) from three this year. See how easy that is? Guys, just face the facts, he's a really good defender, but shouldn't be taking a jump shot unless he is wide open.

I think everyone will give you that he isn't a great outside shooter. To suggest he shouldn't take those shots unless he's wide open is ridiculous.

I think everyone will give you that he isn't a great outside shooter. To suggest he shouldn't take those shots unless he's wide open is ridiculous.

Agreed. he is much improved from last year and is shooting the ball fairly well this year

Might be splitting hairs but I wouldn't say 30% is horrible from three, mediocre, but not horrible. Ultimately, you're what you're, no one would mistake Pree for a sharpshooter like Hoff or Dieseldorf, but he has come a long way in that department to where he is servicable

I think the larger issue, and Pitino touched on it in his blog, is they aren't running a very coherent offense. They're not running good sets / getting post touches / post players aren't moving the ball back outside when the double comes. And that is leading to low percentage outside shots. I have family in KY and was able to attend a game at Rupp over Thanksgiving. That is a team filled with lottery picks, and they play less one on one offense than Gophers. I'm glad Pitino is emphasizing it in his blog and calling it out, now it's up for players to work hard and make adjustment.

No one is taking out half the season. They're just showing how much he improved over the course of the season. It was obvious to everyone that he did improve and was more confident. He's not a great shooter but he isn't Rodney Williams either.

Play 2 true road games every season

. ... A pretty big reason to schedule away games against big 5 opponents in the non conference part of the schedule if you care about your conference record. You really need to get that experience.

Agree 100%.

Am a firm believer the Gophers should schedule 2 true road games every season. Would gladly sacrifice one of our home soft pastries for an additional true road game. There will still be more than enough home games in November & December. Doesn't even have to be a major-conference opponent.

In fact, I'd prefer it be a mid-major, like Indiana did with Fort Wayne. For the betterment of college basketball the major programs need to play straight-up home & homes with the smaller schools. Won't happen unless the NCAA steps in, but that's why I respect the major schools (a very select few) that play a mid- or small-major on the road.

Coach Pitini was saying last year that DM was the best three point shooter on the team.

Maybe he was right?

Pay attention.

Coach Pitini was saying last year that DM was the best three point shooter on the team.

Maybe he was right?

Pay attention.

Do you have a link to that quote? I think you either misheard or misread him; or you have players mixed up.

Pitino repeatedly said he felt McBrayer may have the most upside of any of the freshmen (including Murphy). And, he repeatedly said Devonte Fitzgerald may be the best 3pt shooter on the team. But, I don't ever remember him saying or reading a quote where he said McBrayer was the team's best 3pt shooter. And, honestly, there's likely no way he would make that assessment.

Do you have a link to that quote? I think you either misheard or misread him; or you have players mixed up.

Pitino repeatedly said he felt McBrayer may have the most upside of any of the freshmen (including Murphy). And, he repeatedly said Devonte Fitzgerald may be the best 3pt shooter on the team. But, I don't ever remember him saying or reading a quote where he said McBrayer was the team's best 3pt shooter. And, honestly, there's likely no way he would make that assessment.

He said it last year when DM was about 1 for 90.

People did not believe him. but look now.

May have been on his radio show....Mondays pm.

I agree that he isn't a great shooter, but let's not act like we have so many offensive weapons that he shouldn't be a big part of our offense. We never have that many guys who are playmakers--he's one of them. I'm not sure what you mean by those percentages will go down as evidenced by the entirety of last season. Most freshmen have pretty horrendous percentages. Do you think his percentages won't be significantly better than last season? Also, his numbers were much better in Big Ten play than non-conference, so it's not like we should expect his play to decline significantly from stiffer competition. He shot under 37% on twos overall last year, but 41% during the BT. He shot only 25% from 3 overall last year, but 41% from three in conference play.

I never said he couldn't be a big part of our offense. Just not when it comes to any shots outside 12 feet. He's really good at drawing fouls when he goes to the rim. When I say that I think those percentages will go down I mean that I think it will be a case of regressing to the mean. I would bet quite a bit of money on him being lower than 39% from 3 at the end of the year. I think he will finish with a better percentage than last year, but that's not saying much. His percentages got better last year because he stopped forcing jumpers and only took them when he was open. With McBrayer I think it is a case of less is more. He should never take a contested jumper, but if he is smart about when he shoots from outside and only does it 2-3 times a game to keep the defense honest then I think it is effective

Yea, I don't see how Pitino would ever say that. If he did I have no idea what he was thinking. Joey King was the best 3 pt shooter on the team last year and it really wasn't close

Top Bottom