Official: Big Ten is going to a conference-only season, playing 10 games

This is a lifetime of disappointments backing this statement, but why do I already have the sinking feeling that years from now, we're going to be talking about where the program might have gone to had Covid not derailed the 2020 season.
After we go 10-0 in the regular season you won't be disappointed.

Wonder what the bowl games will do for minimum number of wins required?
If other conferences follow suit with 10 game conference seasons, I imagine they will just move it to 5 wins instead of 6

Bring on Ohio State. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Similar to the Auburn matchup, only better.

Maybe drop all crossover games (except IU-PU) and play some divisional opponents twice.

Bring on Ohio State. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. Similar to the Auburn matchup, only better.
Especially early in the season where things are more unpredictable.

My initial thoughts:

Iowa opens at the date already scheduled.
Ohio State comes to the Bank for the final game, it will be played when the BIG championship was scheduled. There is a chance they will add a bye week for all the teams, pushing back the season to mid December. Fourteen days in October or November for all teams could clear up quarantine issues.
Gophers will end the season 7 - 3, tied for first in the West.

They will add one of the Big Ten teams they don't play. Rumor is a home game with Ohio State. Maybe to open the season.

I will riot.
Opening against Iowa with their new QB is fine. I'm okay with that.
Opening against Ohio State with Fields at the helm slashes Minnesota's B1G championship game hopes to nil.

Last edited:

They will add one of the Big Ten teams they don't play. Rumor is a home game with Ohio State. Maybe to open the season.
There’s no rumor of such except from you.

Indiana at Minnesota September 26 far more likely. Both now have byes that week and Indiana already has 5 home games. OSU plays that week.

Minnesota’s other bye week Nov 14 only NW is off and they play each other the next week.

The only week where everyone can play Is September 12. A full slate of games could be played. OSU would be in the mix. Can’t believe the B1G would play in December.

Last edited:

My initial thoughts:

Iowa opens at the date already scheduled.
Ohio State comes to the Bank for the final game, it will be played when the BIG championship was scheduled. There is a chance they will add a bye week for all the teams, pushing back the season to mid December. Fourteen days in October or November for all teams could clear up quarantine issues.
Gophers will end the season 7 - 3, tied for first in the West.
Which games are losses in your scenario? Ohio State at the end of the year?! Gophers win that one.

I saw that ND would likely be in the mix with the ACC this year, since they already have 6 games scheduled against ACC opponents. Wondering what would happen to the other independents though.

Yup, we kinda screwed over BYU here.

So, do we have to pay our guaranteed contracts to our non-conference opponents even though the game isn't being played? I'm guessing (total guess) that we'll still have to pay them their appearance fee.

Did a quick look, here's an example of the extra game each team could play that works:
MN vs Rutgers
wis vs Ohio St
Neb vs Indiana
Iowa vs Maryland
Purdue vs Penn St
NW vs Michigan
Illinois vs Michigan St

There are numerous others that work, but this is the first one I cam up with
Makes sense. Current week two has all playing non-con games so easiest to add the 10th game.

Second easiest option would be week three...only have to move IA@MN game, all others are non-con matchups. I think this is the week they use to add the 10th game, and reschedule the week 1 conference games as well. Gives them two additional weeks before games start.

So, do we have to pay our guaranteed contracts to our non-conference opponents even though the game isn't being played? I'm guessing (total guess) that we'll still have to pay them their appearance fee.

That's tricky because we also don't get any revenue from the game so Minnesota would just take a $2 million bath to keep FAU ($1.2M), BYU ($300K), and TNTC ($450K) above water. I imagine that Minnesota is not going to pay and get sued.

I don't understand why Minnesota paid BYU in the first place. They are a big time program and generate more than enough revenue on their own. Plus we travel there next year.

I wonder if they will leave the games on the previously scheduled dates, or will move them earlier. Starting them at the beginning of September would increase the likelihood of getting the complete schedule in.
I was thinking the opposite to allow for a couple additional weeks before games start.

I was thinking the opposite to allow for a couple additional weeks before games start.
+1. I expect any added B1G game to be added to the end. Playing OSU back-to-back weeks at end and in the B1G championship would be tough though. :cool:

+1. I expect any added B1G game to be added to the end. Playing OSU back-to-back weeks at end and in the B1G championship would be tough though. :cool:

Right now, Minnesota has about a 10% chance of winning the West. If Ohio State gets added to the schedule then that falls to essentially 0%.

PSU so Clifford and make comments about our program after we beat him again. I wanna see him run out of the injury tent again!
Man I live 15 mins from beaver stadium i.would love to whoop that ass again

Right now, Minnesota has about a 10% chance of winning the West. If Ohio State gets added to the schedule then that falls to essentially 0%.
I'm not sure I agree on the 10%, I'd say we have as a good a shot as anyone. 25-30%. But adding OSU would decrease it a lot in any case. With our luck, I fully expect it.

This is a lifetime of disappointments backing this statement, but why do I already have the sinking feeling that years from now, we're going to be talking about where the program might have gone to had Covid not derailed the 2020 season.
Or...all P5 go to this meaning SEC has to schedule two more conference games and only Ala makes it into CFP with one loss. Gophs run the table, beat undefeated OSU in B1G title game, both make it into CFP at 2 and 4. OSU beats Clemson, Gophs beat Ala. All B1G for CFP championship, which of course Gophs win.

I'm not sure I agree on the 10%, I'd say we have as a good a shot as anyone. 25-30%. But adding OSU would decrease it a lot in any case. With our luck, I fully expect it.

If I'm putting rough numbers on it then Wisconsin: 80%, Minnesota: 10%, all others: 10%.
Adding OSU to Minnesota's schedule basically hands the division to Wisconsin before the season even starts.

I think we get Indiana. We played PSU and Rutgers last year, open with OSU next year and Gophers vs Hoosiers pits two up and coming teams

Of course they will play a CFP if the P5 conferences play conference seasons. If they got over that hurdle, why would they pass up on these huge TV dollars and not play the CFP? Bowl games would be another story, but if we get to January with conference football in the books, they're not going to not crown a champion.
If they all play them and they all complete them. Honestly I don't see it happening. Just the way it's looking now and that's where my comment is coming from

If I'm putting rough numbers on it then Wisconsin: 80%, Minnesota: 10%, all others: 10%.
Adding OSU to Minnesota's schedule basically hands the division to Wisconsin before the season even starts.
80% Wisconsin. Lol.

I hate to throw a wet blanket, but...

Saw some people mentioning that the move to conference only games makes the logistics of moving to spring a bit easier. CFP Semi/Finals could be set and then they just say "You need to finish conference games before this date" and the conferences schedule whenever they want in the spring

80% Wisconsin. Lol.

Well, they've been to 4 of 6 of the championship games so far and Northwestern (coming off a very bad year) / Iowa (lost most of their production) aren't going to challenge them this year.

That leaves it up Minnesota / Nebraska, both of whom play Wisconsin in Camp Randall, so yes, I feel pretty good about that 80% number. It might be a little too low.

I hate to throw a wet blanket, but...

562608500-hate-to-be-a-debbie-downer-but-thought-you-should-know.jpg

Top Bottom