Official: Big Ten is going to a conference-only season, playing 10 games

Great piece on the impact it will have on smaller schools ->

Can’t say I’m surprised. Keeps product on field and their revenue around while reducing issues with what conferences and some states may do regarding travel, quarantine, and exposure.

10 games? They only have 9 on the schedule. Who do they add?

So Iowa would be the first game of the season? Interesting.

10 games? They only have 9 on the schedule. Who do they add?

They will add one of the Big Ten teams they don't play. Rumor is a home game with Ohio State. Maybe to open the season.

Will they do a season ticket refund for the games do you think?

They will add one of the Big Ten teams they don't play. Rumor is a home game with Ohio State. Maybe to open the season.
That would be the stupidest decision.

Risky game for Ohio State. Why put then at risk when they’re the conf’s best CFP candidate?

Shouldn’t matter if we just played a team last year. It should be Rutgers, coming to TCF.

I imagine it will be a home game that is added, just a matter of vs who and when. Ohio State would be fun.

Risky game for Ohio State. Why put then at risk when they’re the conf’s best CFP candidate?

Shouldn’t matter if we just played a team last year. It should be Rutgers, coming to TCF.
I'm not so sure there would even be a CFP or Bowl games this season.

Odds of a CFP are quite low. Going with the B10 is going to try maximize profits however they can knowing nothing is guaranteed

Bummer on the BYU game being scratched. Hopefully they can get them back sometime in the future at TCF Bank. I do remember though that that Baylor never rescheduled, after 9-11.

Maybe because the Gophers are still scheduled to go to Provo in 2025 they can work it out.

Well, there is no guarantee there will be CFP.

OSU has to play someone. They can't just pick any old team. It has to be a team that they don't already play, while also remembering there are other teams that are limited in whom they can play.

OSU's options are MN, PUR, WIS, NW.
MN options are RUT, PSU, OSU, IND.

Maybe OSU would be better off playing at Purdue or Northwestern for their playoff chances, but maybe Purdue and Northwestern need to play other teams based on availability of their own schedules. Plus, they don't make the schedule to cater to OSU. You think Michigan would put up with that?

On top of which, it is only a rumor. Rutgers may well be the team visiting TCF Bank Stadium. No need getting worked up over anything at this point. I think this could be the first of many adjustments before the season kicks off, if it does.

From the Gophers:

I hope this message finds you safe and healthy. I wanted to make you aware of a change that the Big Ten made today with regard to scheduling. The conference announced that all 14 member institutions would be competing in Big Ten games only this fall. There will not be any nonconference games. There are many details concerning competition dates, capacity, ticketing and more that that still need to be resolved, but we wanted to share this initial news with you.

We are continuing to work with medical experts, the Big Ten and campus leadership on these issues and will share more information when it is available.

READ HERE: Big Ten Announcement→https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

Go Gophers and United Are We!

Mark

I imagine it will be a home game that is added, just a matter of vs who and when. Ohio State would be fun.

All of the Big Ten West teams will get the additional home game. That way everyone has five at home and five on the road.

This was the year the West had 4 home games and the East had five home games.

I'd be okay with Ohio State at home. Will be a tough matchup, but I like marquee opponents. Of the other options, Indiana is my second choice.

We already have OSU to open the 2021 season at home. Not saying I would be against it just pointing it out. I don't care who they play as long as they get to play.

Odds of a CFP are quite low. Going with the B10 is going to try maximize profits however they can knowing nothing is guaranteed

Of course they will play a CFP if the P5 conferences play conference seasons. If they got over that hurdle, why would they pass up on these huge TV dollars and not play the CFP? Bowl games would be another story, but if we get to January with conference football in the books, they're not going to not crown a champion.

Did a quick look, here's an example of the extra game each team could play that works:
MN vs Rutgers
wis vs Ohio St
Neb vs Indiana
Iowa vs Maryland
Purdue vs Penn St
NW vs Michigan
Illinois vs Michigan St

There are numerous others that work, but this is the first one I cam up with

PSU so Clifford and make comments about our program after we beat him again. I wanna see him run out of the injury tent again!

I wonder if they will leave the games on the previously scheduled dates, or will move them earlier. Starting them at the beginning of September would increase the likelihood of getting the complete schedule in.

Did a quick look, here's an example of the extra game each team could play that works:
MN vs Rutgers
wis vs Ohio St
Neb vs Indiana
Iowa vs Maryland
Purdue vs Penn St
NW vs Michigan
Illinois vs Michigan St

There are numerous others that work, but this is the first one I cam up with
Looks reasonable to me!

I wonder if they will leave the games on the previously scheduled dates, or will move them earlier. Starting them at the beginning of September would increase the likelihood of getting the complete schedule in.
I'm sure that is part of it, gives an extra three weeks of flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised if they shift everything up to potentially play any cancelled games later in the season.

The interesting thing will be, if this 10th game counts in the conf standings or not.

Could make arguments one way or the other. If you’re the West team that gets Ohio St, you’re push hard for NO.

Wonder what the bowl games will do for minimum number of wins required?

This is a lifetime of disappointments backing this statement, but why do I already have the sinking feeling that years from now, we're going to be talking about where the program might have gone to had Covid not derailed the 2020 season.

Here’s hoping. Indiana makes the most sense based on how infrequently we face them. Penn State using 2019 results.
Yeah....was starting to wonder if they were still in the conference. (not really)

Top Bottom