Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

The most popular discussion in this forum is how there won’t be enough scholarships. Every year, magically, like they know what they are doing, there are enough scholarships. Its as if there are people doing it for a living!
I don't know, as long as JD Spielman has college eligibility...

What's the something? Allow 110 scholarships for the next four years (actually much more, as the ruling would apply to all sports not just football)? That's adding a lot of financial costs to athletic budgets that are already toast.
How is this going to impact PWOs? Will they have room for them?

There will be at least a few guys playing for us in 2021 that are participating in a 6th college football season (ie, not counting any redshirt/medical years off from participation).

I have a feeling it is already known or will eventually be announced at some point that such players are allowed to receive a scholarship from the school in 2021 without counting as a headcount against the limit of 85.

The other thing is, after spring ball is over and it becomes more "obvious" which guys won't really be in the hunt to be significant contributors this fall, there will be more transfers out.
I wouldn’t expect many transfers after the spring game. There’s already hundreds of players stuck in the transfer portal, and I’m guessing very few teams could still add a player even if they wanted to.

I wouldn’t expect many transfers after the spring game. There’s already hundreds of players stuck in the transfer portal, and I’m guessing very few teams could still add a player even if they wanted to.
Unless those teams lose players too.

Guys could drop down levels as well. MAC, MWC, MVFC.

Perhaps they could play with North Dakota. This way they could earn a National Championship Ring from the Dental Office.

Most that enter the portal do have to drop down if they can even find a spot. Entering the portal is a huge risk that could cost a player a free degree.

per Shooter:

Johnson and Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck were together on a Zoom call to Cretin-Derham Hall’s Tre Holloman at his South St. Paul home last weekend. Both coaches impressed Holloman.

Departed Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino was the first to offer the 6-foot-2, 165-pound junior point guard a scholarship that remains available. Fleck has also offered a tender to the safety-wideout, who’ll probably move to cornerback if he plays football in college.

Meanwhile, Oregon State last week was the latest among a substantial list of schools offering a football tender. It’s Holloman’s plan to play basketball and football in college. Academically, he’s a 3.0 student. This summer, he’ll play basketball in the Howard Pulley AAU program. His favorite sport? Whichever season it is.

Holloman has no favorites as to colleges yet and remains in listening mode. That will change when recruiting visits begin.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Johnson and Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck were together on a Zoom call to Cretin-Derham Hall’s Tre Holloman at his South St. Paul home last weekend. Both coaches impressed Holloman.

Departed Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino was the first to offer the 6-foot-2, 165-pound junior point guard a scholarship that remains available. Fleck has also offered a tender to the safety-wideout, who’ll probably move to cornerback if he plays football in college.

Meanwhile, Oregon State last week was the latest among a substantial list of schools offering a football tender. It’s Holloman’s plan to play basketball and football in college. Academically, he’s a 3.0 student. This summer, he’ll play basketball in the Howard Pulley AAU program. His favorite sport? Whichever season it is.

Holloman has no favorites as to colleges yet and remains in listening mode. That will change when recruiting visits begin.

Go Gophers!!
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard his name prior to visiting the Bball board the past couple weeks during the coaching search. Seems they're pretty desperate to land him. Gotta think it helps Johnson quite a bit to have Fleck recruiting alongside you. Holy cow.

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!
Nice story for the paper, but there aren't any success stories of in the P5 who played both football and basketball simultaneously, are there??

I could definitely see there being examples of switching from one to the other.

Doesn't seem likely that Holloman will end up actually playing 2 sports in college, but doesn't mean it'd be impossible if he was 100% committed to that plan (esp. a year or more from now).

Jameis Winston, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, our own Eric Decker, etc all played 2 sports in college.

Jennifer Hamson, Liz Brenner, and Lauren Ware are athletes I can think of that play(ed) a fall sport and winter sport at the D1 HM level.

*Liz Brenner actually played 5 sports at Oregon, crazy story if anyone has the time to look that one up.

The number of high level recruits within the borders of Minnesota to leave the State is incredible...in ALL sports.

FIFY

This is not endemic to Minnesota.
It certainly would be nice to see us keep a higher number of the top football and basketball players in the State each year but you are 100% correct this isn't just a Minnesota thing.

Your best shot of getting kids to grow up fans and want to stay in State is to have a solid winning foundation that makes it easy for kids to grow up being hardcore fans of the home state team. We have not had that in either Football or Basketball so it is understandable that many players don't come up dreaming of playing for the Gophers. Hopefully over time that shifts in the right direction and we see more and more guys coming up who couldn't wait to play for the home team.

In the meantime you go out and get the best players you can regardless of where they are from. If the home state kids want to go play somewhere else, so be it. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter where a kid grew up.

Incredible?

Compared to ... wut, Delaware?
Considering Minnesota is the only D-1 program in the State, it's even rather embarrassing.

Gophs should be cherry picking and the opposite is happening. It's a Vikings State and professional sports will always rule.

Considering Minnesota is the only D-1 program in the State, it's even rather embarrassing.

Gophs should be cherry picking and the opposite is happening. It's a Vikings State and professional sports will always rule.
What's "incredible" again?

What's "embarrassing"?

What's "incredible" again?

What's "embarrassing"?
That the Gophs can't keep in State talent at home.

One could argue in the years between Kevin McHale and Gable Steveson, nearly every high school star has left. And in Steveson's case... he probably goes to Iowa if Eggum hadn't given his big bro a scholly.

That's embarrassing! Paige Bueckers and Jalen Suggs just rubbed more salt in the wound last year.

Gopher fan support is so limited and controlled that there isn't much incentive to stay and play.

That the Gophs can't keep in State talent at home.

One could argue in the years between Kevin McHale and Gable Steveson, nearly every high school star has left. And in Steveson's case... he probably goes to Iowa if Eggum hadn't given his big bro a scholly.

That's embarrassing! Paige Bueckers and Jalen Suggs just rubbed more salt in the wound last year.

Gopher fan support is so limited and controlled that there isn't much incentive to stay and play.

Why do you think they leave?

If you understood that, maybe it wouldn't be "incredible"?

Doesn't seem likely that Holloman will end up actually playing 2 sports in college, but doesn't mean it'd be impossible if he was 100% committed to that plan (esp. a year or more from now).

Jameis Winston, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, our own Eric Decker, etc all played 2 sports in college.

Jennifer Hamson, Liz Brenner, and Lauren Ware are athletes I can think of that play(ed) a fall sport and winter sport at the D1 HM level.

*Liz Brenner actually played 5 sports at Oregon, crazy story if anyone has the time to look that one up.
Very true but those male athletes were all fall/spring. Fall/winter is different as you're missing tons of practice and potentially games.

Very true but those male athletes were all fall/spring. Fall/winter is different as you're missing tons of practice and potentially games.
Outside some bonkers atheletes, the coaching / playcalling / teams are so detail oriented now that it would be really hard to pull any 2 sport stuff off ... and not lose out on a lot from one sport or the other or both.

I recall HC saying that they have at least twice as many adjustments they ask players to look for on defense than they have in the past, than just a few years ago. Guy doesn't pick that up... gonna be hard.

Last edited:

Why do you think they leave?

If you understood that, maybe it wouldn't be "incredible"?
Fans like you is likely one reason. Arguing just for the sake of arguing.
And being happy being mediocre is another. Gopher fans thinking a self promoter like PJ is the answer.

Fans like you is likely one reason. Arguing just for the sake of arguing.
And being happy being mediocre is another. Gopher fans thinking a self promoter like PJ is the answer.
I don't think anyone comes to this school or doesn't because of what I post here.

Do you think so?

I don't know what you're talking about 'fans like you', as far as I can tell you come around from time to time and post empty negative platitudes that apparently you haven't put much of any thought into:

"That's embarrassing!" and so on .... just a bunch of negative stuff that apparently doesn't have much thought given to it. As far as I can tell the depths of your thinking is "Did this team do what I want / get the players I want? No? Better piss and moan about them."

I don't think anyone comes to this school or doesn't because of what I post here.

Do you think so?

I don't know what you're talking about 'fans like you', as far as I can tell you come around from time to time and post empty negative platitudes that apparently you haven't put much of any thought into:

"That's embarrassing!" and so on .... just a bunch of negative stuff that apparently doesn't have much thought given to it. As far as I can tell the depths of your thinking is "Did this team do what I want / get the players I want? No? Better piss and moan about them."
I'm sorry that I come across as negative.
My beef is that Gopher sports seem like we have a good year, or maybe two, every decade. Most often average or below.
Fleck's 11-2 season sandwiched between a whole bunch of meh...as one example.

Top Bottom