Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Help me out here because I'm twitter stupid but ....

NOTcomitted as a hash tag doesn't sound like a good thing ...
I wonder if he was on an unofficial or something there and just wanted folks to know it wasn't some sort of tweet saying he's a gopher.

I wonder if he was on an unofficial or something there and just wanted folks to know it wasn't some sort of tweet saying he's a gopher.
That's kinda what I figured but the response on twitter seemed strange then.

I mean I wouldn't be negative towards a croot (or tweet really at all) but them making sure I know that they're "not comitteed" wouldn't exactly be cause for celebration ...

Help me out here because I'm twitter stupid but ....

NOTcomitted as a hash tag doesn't sound like a good thing ...

I think it's interesting because he's also a 4* basketball recruit, ranked 55th in the country.

He's most likely going to play basketball though.

I think it's interesting because he's also a 4* basketball recruit, ranked 55th in the country.

He's most likely going to play basketball though.
He has said he isn't committed to either sport yet. Could be an opportunity for have him walk-on the basketball team during his red-shirt season if on football scholarship.

I'm not saying he can't make it. I'm just saying that IF if he winds up playing D1 FB, it will be an adjustment. Tyler Marz of Springfield, MN was another Class A kid who wound up having a good career at Wisconsin. He has been a practice squad player for 3 NFL teams and even started a couple of games for the Titans.
With camps and evaluations I don't think level of competitions is much of a hindrance anymore. Andries, Marz, Schlueter, Pirsig, Campion etc. Kids from small towns make it all the time. I would say some have a better chance because they are less likely to be beat up and burned out. Possibly even bloom late. Red-shirt guarantee with these kids.

The Nelson kid from T-M-B has also been the top player on their Boys Basketball team, but he is currently out with an injury. Not sure how serious it is.

But, the point is that he is a good enough athlete to be the leading scorer for his HS BB team - so obviously has some athletic ability, and a big enough frame to add weight in college.

The question for a kid from that level is always going to be strength of competition. TMB is a class AA school in the MN football playoff system, but most of their regular-season games are against Class A teams. As a result, most nights he is going to be the biggest and strongest kid on the field, so you have to wonder how he will fare when facing kids who are bigger and faster.
I wouldn't just say his being athletic is the sole or primary reason he is leading scorer in bb. Not saying it isn't a factor. It's a small school in sw mn where your typical bigs are 6'3"-6'4". He's got a natural advantage over them athleticism or not.

Still waiting on that big burst we seem to get each year with a bunch of commitments all around the same time, but class seems to be off to a solid start.

Just curious - are Gopher committed players under-evaluated via Pandemic effect? Do we expect the ratings to go up before the end of the year?

We don't have the Summer BBQ with the splash of commitments, and visits. The Gophers coaches must see something in the current commitments.

Just curious - are Gopher committed players under-evaluated via Pandemic effect? Do we expect the ratings to go up before the end of the year?

We don't have the Summer BBQ with the splash of commitments, and visits. The Gophers coaches must see something in the current commitments.

Can't speak specifically to our commits but I would guess that there will be a lot of movement in the player rankings if we are able to have a more traditional summer camp season.

There is just no way the recruiting sites are not way behind where they typically would be considering the lack of camps and limited seasons in 2020.

This may be a year that requires some faith for those who shape their entire opinion of a recruit based on how places like 247 rank them.

Overall, ratings go up over the course of the cycle more than they go down. For example, Bryson is a composite 0.8416 good for #991 in the nation. Last year, Dylan McGill clocked a 0.8443 and was not in the top 1000--Dino Kaliakmanis needed a 0.8558 to be #929 nationally.

There are two factors that cause this: early-rated players getting bumps as 247 in particular likes to start conservatively, and unrated players getting good ratings bumping previously rated players down. Main take-away is that you can't compare the ratings of players early in the cycle to where the ratings of players ended up in previous cycles.

Is there any update on Eli King? Looks like he missed the basketball season with a torn meniscus. How heavy is his lean towards basketball?

Is there any update on Eli King? Looks like he missed the basketball season with a torn meniscus. How heavy is his lean towards basketball?
I think he announced that he is going to play basketball in college already

How do we have room for basically any recruits in '22? We must have something like 100 players on scholarship right now (I'm guessing at the number, but it's gotta be way over 85). If all the "Seniors that now get an extra year of eligibility because of COVID" stick around for that extra year, we basically have almost no open slots for '22. We'll already be at the 85 scholly limit.

How do we have room for basically any recruits in '22? We must have something like 100 players on scholarship right now (I'm guessing at the number, but it's gotta be way over 85). If all the "Seniors that now get an extra year of eligibility because of COVID" stick around for that extra year, we basically have almost no open slots for '22. We'll already be at the 85 scholly limit.
It will be interesting. 110 is the expanded limit for 2021 I believe. NCAA will have to do something soon, unless I missed it already.

It will be interesting. 110 is the expanded limit for 2021 I believe. NCAA will have to do something soon, unless I missed it already.
What's the something? Allow 110 scholarships for the next four years (actually much more, as the ruling would apply to all sports not just football)? That's adding a lot of financial costs to athletic budgets that are already toast.

What's the something? Allow 110 scholarships for the next four years (actually much more, as the ruling would apply to all sports not just football)? That's adding a lot of financial costs to athletic budgets that are already toast.
Schools don’t have to allow the extra year. Plenty haven’t.

The most popular discussion in this forum is how there won’t be enough scholarships. Every year, magically, like they know what they are doing, there are enough scholarships. Its as if there are people doing it for a living!

There will be at least a few guys playing for us in 2021 that are participating in a 6th college football season (ie, not counting any redshirt/medical years off from participation).

I have a feeling it is already known or will eventually be announced at some point that such players are allowed to receive a scholarship from the school in 2021 without counting as a headcount against the limit of 85.

The other thing is, after spring ball is over and it becomes more "obvious" which guys won't really be in the hunt to be significant contributors this fall, there will be more transfers out.

The most popular discussion in this forum is how there won’t be enough scholarships. Every year, magically, like they know what they are doing, there are enough scholarships. Its as if there are people doing it for a living!
It's kinda your classic internet panic thing:

Someone presents numbers that may, or may not be accurate, and sets up what looks like a very obvious numerical conflict. Like there it is, you just can't help but see the disaster waiting to happen.

Except we don't really know what the situation is with all the players or even how this stuff works itself out so we don't account for that.

So:

Beaker.gif

You see it in everything from politics to science to ... everything.

It's kinda your classic internet panic thing:

Someone presents numbers that may, or may not be accurate, and sets up what looks like a very obvious numerical conflict. Like there it is, you just can't help but see the disaster waiting to happen.

Except we don't really know what the situation is with all the players or even how this stuff works itself out so we don't account for that.

So:

Beaker.gif

You see it in everything from politics to science to ... everything.

It really is kind of amazing how many people still obsess about the scholarship numbers and you always get those that think they have it all figured out.

It may not be crystal clear to fans but I can say with absolute certainty they know internally what they have to work with in terms of scholarships. It somehow always works itself out in the end....every single year....like clockwork.....

As Up and Under said, it is almost like they have people who do this for a living.

It really is kind of amazing how many people still obsess about the scholarship numbers and you always get those that think they have it all figured out.

It may not be crystal clear to fans but I can say with absolute certainty they know internally what they have to work with in terms of scholarships. It somehow always works itself out in the end....every single year....like clockwork.....

As Up and Under said, it is almost like they have people who do this for a living.
This is GH.

Top Bottom