Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

If they would have taken Johnson, they would have 7 RBs on scholarship next season, which is way too many when they have other needs to fill.
I'm not super worried about the difference between 6 or 7 scholarship RBs next year. I do understand why you do and I do understand why the U didn't offer him. Part of it for me is that with the transfer portal, it's harder for me to predict what our RB numbers will be in a year or two. So I would be less strict with the numbers than I would have been 3 years ago.

I'm just saying, for me, I'd have offered him. It's not a big deal for me, I like Evans and I actually liked Grand's film too.

I think it is a numbers game at RB? They got Zach Evans on scholarship and Max Grand (4.4/40) from Wisconsin as a PWO. Mo and Bryce are returning. I don't know about Trey Potts. Mo returning changes everything numbers-wise. It makes you wonder if Trey Potts is an uncertain medical redshirt. If he doesn't return to the team, that would have left room for Emmett Johnson.
Roster Players
3Trey PottsRB5-11210R-So.Williamsport, Pa. / Williamsport
4Mar'Keise IrvingRB5-10190Fr.Chicago, Ill. / Hillcrest
8Ky ThomasRB5-11205R-Fr.Topeka, Kan. / Topeka
21Bryce WilliamsRB6-0215R-Jr.Sarasota, Fla. / Cardinal Mooney
24Mohamed IbrahimRB5-10210R-Sr.Baltimore, Md. / Our Lady of Good Counsel
25Preston JelenRB5-10210R-Jr.Prior Lake, Minn. / Prior Lake
31Kendall MooreRB5-11195R-Fr.St. Paul, Minn. / East Ridge

Watch Emmett Johnson's (4.48/40) and Zach Evans' (4.46/40) video side-by-side. I think there is an argument to take them both.

Now, we have to face him at Nebraska every year like we did JD Spielman.

In coming Freshmen
Zach EvansRB5-10Fr.Heath, Texas / Rockwall-Heath
Max GrandRB5-9Fr.Ellsworth, Wis. / Ellsworth

I really wonder if it has anything to do with the coaching staff knowing what they have currently in the system. Fleck and company got an extensive look at everyone. Guys like Irving who is a true freshman. We are solid at the RB position for years. Maybe if Mo and Potts don't go down....the coaching staff pays a little more attention?....not knowing that we are golden for years?

I'm not super worried about the difference between 6 or 7 scholarship RBs next year. I do understand why you do and I do understand why the U didn't offer him. Part of it for me is that with the transfer portal, it's harder for me to predict what our RB numbers will be in a year or two. So I would be less strict with the numbers than I would have been 3 years ago.

I'm just saying, for me, I'd have offered him. It's not a big deal for me, I like Evans and I actually liked Grand's film too.

I don't disagree with your take, but I also think RB is one of the easier positions to recruit. I'd much rather offer more players at positions that are harder to recruit, and have a higher bust rate.

RB is also one of the easiest positions for a true freshman to contribute at. If the RBs thin out at some point, I think they can reload quickly.

With Max, they can test the toy before they buy it.

Nebraska grasping at straws. Johnson repeated 8th grade and is not a BIG student-athlete. Perfect fit at GBR. Wish him the best of luck.

Nebraska grasping at straws. Johnson repeated 8th grade and is not a BIG student-athlete. Perfect fit at GBR. Wish him the best of luck.
I have no idea if this kid repeated 8th grade or not, but you did already lie about him a month ago. A month ago, you were telling people on here that he repeated his senior season. That was a lie.

Why would you lie about this kid? It's weird.

1639884859763.png

Maybe there is a reason why Kenni Burns passed on him. They cannot lower their standards if they want to run an elite program.

The players know that PJ Fleck values academics and citizenship equally as athletic skills. They also know that he is not afraid to cut a player for a major rules violation. It all goes together with HYPRR culture. There have been at least a couple of instances of players being cut for team rules violations.

They run a tight ship. That is why PJ Fleck said Gopher Football is not for everybody.

I have no idea if this kid repeated 8th grade or not, but you did already lie about him a month ago. A month ago, you were telling people on here that he repeated his senior season. That was a lie.

Why would you lie about this kid? It's weird.

View attachment 16020
It’s not a lie and is fact. Brush up on your eligibility facts BL. You’re flat out wrong. He was given two additional semesters. Same as Chase Carter. They may have needed them academically. So be it. They’re basically JUCO kids competing in grade 13. Glad to have who we have.

It’s not a lie and is fact. Brush up on your eligibility facts BL. You’re flat out wrong. He was given two additional semesters. Same as Chase Carter. They may have needed them academically. So be it. They’re basically JUCO kids competing in grade 13. Glad to have who we have.
It is a lie and you're repeating it.

What I do know is that he did NOT repeat his SR season. That is a lie. He was a SO in 2019 football season, he was a JR in 2020 football season, and he was a SR this year.

So I do know that you lied about him repeating his senior season. Now you've done it twice. It's incredibly bizarre. I also know that other players who repeated 8th grade have not been eligible (see Craig McDonald and I believe Terry Lockett). That said, for the second time, I have no idea if he repeated 8th grade or not. I do know that you have now lied about him twice (which is just weird). You're our source for the notion that he repeated 8th grade and as proven, you're kind of weird about this kid.

That said, even if he did repeat his 8th grade season, it's not quite like JuCo. LOL.

But can we all admit now that he didn't repeat his senior season?

Proof:
Last year, he was named as part of the All Metro team as a JUNIOR.

Below is an article from 2019 that describes him as a SO and a part of the 2022 class.

It is a lie and you're repeating it.

What I do know is that he did NOT repeat his SR season. That is a lie. He was a SO in 2019 football season, he was a JR in 2020 football season, and he was a SR this year.

So I do know that you lied about him repeating his senior season. Now you've done it twice. It's incredibly bizarre. I also know that other players who repeated 8th grade have not been eligible (see Craig McDonald and I believe Terry Lockett). That said, for the second time, I have no idea if he repeated 8th grade or not. I do know that you have now lied about him twice (which is just weird). You're our source for the notion that he repeated 8th grade and as proven, you're kind of weird about this kid.

That said, even if he did repeat his 8th grade season, it's not quite like JuCo. LOL.

But can we all admit now that he didn't repeat his senior season?

Proof:
Last year, he was named as part of the All Metro team as a JUNIOR.

Below is an article from 2019 that describes him as a SO and a part of the 2022 class.

I’m not going to fight with you. Why did he have to appeal to play this year? It’s public record. The facts are you get 12 semesters starting in 8th grade Ask HS coaches. He reclassified like Chase Carter. Feel free to say it doesn’t matter but they had more years than a typical HS kids.

I’m not going to fight with you. Why did he have to appeal to play this year? It’s public record. The facts are you get 12 semesters starting in 8th grade Ask HS coaches. He reclassified like Chase Carter. Feel free to say it doesn’t matter but they had more years than a typical HS kids.
Did he repeat grade 8, grade 12, both, or neither?

Did he repeat grade 8, grade 12, both, or neither?
8th grade. By eligibility rules, he completed his semesters at the end of the 2020-21 school year. It’s becoming more and more popular with the private schools. Maybe tuition driven? Back to the 2022 recruiting thread.

You know you two can argue over private messages about whether or not Johnson repeated a grade or not right?

think I can safely speak for most of the board in saying nobody gives a crap if he did or not since he isn’t coming here anyway.

I don't know the whole story as to perhaps why he repeated 8th grade. You have to look at his habits, his commitment to academics, what was going on in his life at that time and so forth. It's one thing to have a good attitude about academics and another not to have a good attitude. Should one be punished due to the fact that school was always hard for someone who is giving 100%?

8th grade. By eligibility rules, he completed his semesters at the end of the 2020-21 school year. It’s becoming more and more popular with the private schools. Maybe tuition driven? Back to the 2022 recruiting thread.
Then you shouldn't say he repeated his senior season.

As I said, I have no idea if he repeated his 8th grade year, I just know he didn't repeat his SR season.

You lied about him again. It's cool. I'll move on.

You know you two can argue over private messages about whether or not Johnson repeated a grade or not right?

think I can safely speak for most of the board in saying nobody gives a crap if he did or not since he isn’t coming here anyway.
WTF are you talking about? The kid is a 2022 local kid who got an offer from a division rival but not us. It certainly is part of the 2022 recruiting discussion. Other people replied to the discussion.

You people who complain over every little tangent are insane. You're now complaining about whether or not a discussion about offering a 2022 recruit belongs in the 2022 recruiting thread.

We get that you weren't interested in it but here is an idea, just click through to the next post.

WTF are you talking about? The kid is a 2022 local kid who got an offer from a division rival but not us. It certainly is part of the 2022 recruiting discussion. Other people replied to the discussion.

You people who complain over every little tangent are insane. You're now complaining about whether or not a discussion about offering a 2022 recruit belongs in the 2022 recruiting thread.

We get that you weren't interested in it but here is an idea, just click through to the next post.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this post sounds exactly like something MPLSGopher would say (over and over again)

actually, it's 12 semesters starting in 7th grade. 6 X 2 = 12.

So, if a hypothetical student repeated the 8th grade, their athletic eligibility would end after their Junior year ----unless they appealed to the MSHSL and the appeal was granted.

given that we are talking about a high-profile athlete, I can guarantee you that if he had violated MSHSL rules, another school would have blown the whistle on him. it happens.

So, either there was no violation, or the family won an appeal. those are the only two scenarios that make sense.

I remember a case in SW MN. Kid switched school districts. don't know why, but he wound up repeating a grade level. his SR year in HS, some kids from his old district realized that he was still playing when the kids from his original class at his old school had graduated. they contacted the MSHSL. kid was declared ineligible and his new school had to forfeit every game he appeared in during his (extra) Senior year.

So if anyone can prove that the kid in question violated MSHSL rules, produce your evidence. BTW, internet rumors are not evidence.

actually, it's 12 semesters starting in 7th grade. 6 X 2 = 12.

So, if a hypothetical student repeated the 8th grade, their athletic eligibility would end after their Junior year ----unless they appealed to the MSHSL and the appeal was granted.

given that we are talking about a high-profile athlete, I can guarantee you that if he had violated MSHSL rules, another school would have blown the whistle on him. it happens.

So, either there was no violation, or the family won an appeal. those are the only two scenarios that make sense.

I remember a case in SW MN. Kid switched school districts. don't know why, but he wound up repeating a grade level. his SR year in HS, some kids from his old district realized that he was still playing when the kids from his original class at his old school had graduated. they contacted the MSHSL. kid was declared ineligible and his new school had to forfeit every game he appeared in during his (extra) Senior year.

So if anyone can prove that the kid in question violated MSHSL rules, produce your evidence. BTW, internet rumors are not evidence.
You’re correct on 7th grade. It was approved by member schools when there was the 7 time state wrestling champion. Roughly 10 years ago.

Relax Bob. My comment was specifically to the two posters bickering about whether or not Johnson repeated a year of school.

Discussing whether or not we should have offered him makes total sense. Two people arguing back and forth about whether or not a Nebraska commit repeated a year of school is just pointless and should be argued out in private.

Based on the number of likes that post has gotten it would appear many agree with me.

per Shama:

Could Mohammed Elazazy, the former Western Michigan offensive lineman who has entered the transfer portal, interest the football Gophers? The 6-5, 300-pound guard is from Menasha, Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!
He could! He could not! Little birdie told me he definitely has said Minnesota before, but no context was given. He may have just been naming states.

Top 25 Players in Portal:

17. DT Gary Smith III, Duke

Smith has picked up a bunch of offers off of just one season as a starter for the Blue Devils. The sophomore interior lineman made nine starts this fall and recorded 24 tackles, seven pressures, 2.5 TFLs and a sack. He has claimed offers from UCLA, TCU, Virginia Tech, Minnesota and several more schools this month.

19. OL Curtis Dunlap Jr., Minnesota

Here’s a very talented lineman who’s looking to get his career back on track. The former four-star recruit started 12 games at right guard for the Gophers in 2019, earning honorable mention All-Big Ten recognition. Then he missed the 2020 season with an Achilles injury and moved on from the Gophers after playing in five games this season with three starts. The 6-foot-5, 345-pounder could benefit from a fresh start and solve a big need for his next school.

Go Gophers!!

He could! He could not! Little birdie told me he definitely has said Minnesota before, but no context was given. He may have just been naming states.
The Doogie version of this would be "I wouldn't be surprised if he has said Minnesota this past year". Doogie thinks Shooter goes out too far on the ledge.

Top Bottom