TE- Logan Compton (JUCO)
WR- Zyion Claville
WR- Isaiah Garcia-Castenada (Transfer)
WR- Wesley Grimes (Wake Forest Commit)
LB- Jacoby Windmon (Transfer)
LB- Mystery Commit
CB- Ryan Stapp (Transfer)
Was Beers the IOL mystery commit?

I’m guessing they likely were not option A guys. But I also think they are recruiting these guys for what they can be 3 or 4 years from now. I think there is more leeway for these type of guys with how the new transfer rules work now. There’s less of the, “well I hope this guy is ready cause we need him to be.” If a guy isn’t ready you can instantly fill the spot with experience through the portal. I also like taking local guys to develop as I think they are less likely to transfer, as I think being too far from home is a big factor in why many kids transfer.
Recruiting OLs and DLs is always a challenge especially for a team like the Gophers. With the Transfer Portal becoming an essential recruiting ground, I wonder how this will influence Gopher Recruiting going forward.

They got quite a bonanza in Miles Pinckney and others. I am sure that there will be some duds coming their way. They got lucky with most of their last Transfer Portal haul.

IMHO, we will see more DLs coming via the portal than OLs.

Thanks! FLipping an NDSU recruit isn't exactly the type of news to lift me out of the Guaranteed Rate funk, but I'm always glad to welcome another kid to the boat. Grab an oar, son!
Was it a scholarship to NDSU to PWO to Minnesota, flip? That is fairly significant, I would think.

If we gave him a scholarship, then yeah you would hope an FCS scholly offer would take a P5 scholly offer over that.

EDIT: lol, a few posts after your's it was confirmed on the Tweet that it was a scholly offer. Not much of a "flip".

This is off the paid site I assume? Curious who the mystery guys are.
No surprise, posting pay site info on GH when not allowed to per the rules of the pay site.

They'll end his membership over that, if it continues.

Much shorter time frame with portal transfers for information to circulate.
That is probably true.

Still, to outright ignore them and not even try? Not a reasonable business model.

Someone will figure out how to do it, and 247 will be left in the dust for failure to innovate with the changing system.

The 2 most recent commits, both FCS flips from Dakota schools, in Beers and Gerlach both camped with the Gophers this Summer and didn't get offers. I believe Beers also camped with Wisconsin but they never showed any interest. Obviously kids can grow/improve between the Summer and the end of their Senior year, but it's also possible that the staff thought they could get better prospects at those positions and have been unable to do so.
Could be possible that more guys than they thought in the summer, transferred out or retired from the program.

For example, Dunlap is leaving and Beier (same class as Boe, so could've kept playing) is calling it a day after never contributing.

So those "extra two slots" could be used this way. Just a thought, could easily be wrong

Was it a scholarship to NDSU to PWO to Minnesota, flip? That is fairly significant, I would think.

If we gave him a scholarship, then yeah you would hope an FCS scholly offer would take a P5 scholly offer over that.

EDIT: lol, a few posts after your's it was confirmed on the Tweet that it was a scholly offer. Not much of a "flip".
A flip none the less, he did have FCS offers from the MAC. I think Callahan has earned some benefit of the doubt with unheralded o-linemen.

A flip none the less, he did have FCS offers from the MAC. I think Callahan has earned some benefit of the doubt with unheralded o-linemen.
Yeah, I'm fine with him just straight up. I have no problem offering guys who only had MAC offers, given where this staff was and what they've seen and done.

So to me, just remove the "flip" part, and treat it like a straight up commitment.

Thanks! FLipping an NDSU recruit isn't exactly the type of news to lift me out of the Guaranteed Rate funk, but I'm always glad to welcome another kid to the boat. Grab an oar, son!
Kieft was an ndsu flip
How can this be? Comment boards (especially the Strib) tell me that any local kid that is passed over by the U and ends up at NDSU will outperform any local kid that passes on NDSU and chooses the U.

Look, recruiting is not an exact science. You're evaluating a 16- or 17-year old kid and trying to project what they could develop into in 3 or 4 years.

and with linemen, it's trickier because of the physical nature of the position.

so, in the end, it's a crap shoot. this kid could develop into a starter; he could develop into a rotational player; or maybe he never sees the field.

all depends on how he develops physically, and how he takes to coaching and learns the technique.

all I know is that, every year on signing day, people are posting about this "can't miss" recruit and that "can't miss" recruit. and 3 or 4 years later, a number of those recruits are buried on the depth chart or have transferred.

I hope this guy works out.

Look, recruiting is not an exact science. You're evaluating a 16- or 17-year old kid and trying to project what they could develop into in 3 or 4 years.

and with linemen, it's trickier because of the physical nature of the position.

so, in the end, it's a crap shoot. this kid could develop into a starter; he could develop into a rotational player; or maybe he never sees the field.

all depends on how he develops physically, and how he takes to coaching and learns the technique.

all I know is that, every year on signing day, people are posting about this "can't miss" recruit and that "can't miss" recruit. and 3 or 4 years later, a number of those recruits are buried on the depth chart or have transferred.

I hope this guy works out.
Just look at all the high rated QBs in the portal. Reality is that is always going to be hard to land a lot of really high end guys here so finding the "right" players becomes even more important.

If Gophers are looking for a WR in the portal they might want to look at this guy. Never lived up to expectations or potential (yet) but some team should give a chance. Midwest kid from Ohio. Pretty classy farewell message and most Cyclone fans are wishing him the best.

Last edited:

How can this be? Comment boards (especially the Strib) tell me that any local kid that is passed over by the U and ends up at NDSU will outperform any local kid that passes on NDSU and chooses the U.
This is gold 😂

If Gophers are looking for a WR in the portal they might want to look at this guy. Never lived up to expectations or potential (yet) but some team should give a chance. Midwest kid from Ohio. Pretty classy farewell message and most Cyclone fans are wishing him the best.

God damn that text is hard to read in that format ...

On recruiting - listened to new episode of "Gopher Gridiron Radio."

one interesting note - one of the hosts said that Kirk C. is recruiting FOR MN this week.

later in the segment, they went through a "state of the program" discussion with detailed review of personnel on offense and defense. according to the hosts, the Gophers will be looking at transfers to add depth and experience at OL, DL, LB and possibly DB. Said the DL coach was talking to two DL transfer targets this week "on the West Coast."

Mr. Football looks to be set to visit Nebraska.

am I reading it right that Nebraska hasn’t offered? Haven’t seen him play so I have no idea how good he is
no P5 offers

am I reading it right that Nebraska hasn’t offered? Haven’t seen him play so I have no idea how good he is
I think we should offer him, especially now. Worst case scenario, he transfers out after a couple of years of being buried on the depth chart.

I think having local guys find success really has an exponential benefit. I actually think TJ did more for the program than Bateman (who was the better WR). We'll see if I am right or not, but there are tons of players who are now 13-16 who grew up in the cities watching TJ play for the Gophers.

I'm not obsessed with landing local kids or anything like that, I just think success with local recruits can have an exponential benefit you don't see quite as much with non-local kids.

I think we should offer him, especially now. Worst case scenario, he transfers out after a couple of years of being buried on the depth chart.

I think having local guys find success really has an exponential benefit. I actually think TJ did more for the program than Bateman (who was the better WR). We'll see if I am right or not, but there are tons of players who are now 13-16 who grew up in the cities watching TJ play for the Gophers.

I'm not obsessed with landing local kids or anything like that, I just think success with local recruits can have an exponential benefit you don't see quite as much with non-local kids.
Yeah. Why wouldn’t we if we have a spot

With his accolades and lack of offers from big ten schools I wonder if academics is in question.
I like the wisconsin kid we just got. Better than a rando from Florida. I feel the same about this guy

I'd take Johnson if it made sense, but do we need a 7th rb on scholarship? Maybe promises were made to Evans. It's nice to be able to promise a higher profile rb that you won't take any other rbs in his class.

I'd take Johnson if it made sense, but do we need a 7th rb on scholarship? Maybe promises were made to Evans. It's nice to be able to promise a higher profile rb that you won't take any other rbs in his class.
agreed. we've got a bunch of young RBs as it is plus another coming in. Spend the schollie elsewhere unless you see him switching positions

Could have used it this year?

No, I get what you're saying. I wouldn't be mad or heartbroken if we didn't offer him, but in general, I think we should take more borderline MN kids. Especially now, missing on a recruit doesn't really mess with the numbers like in years passed.

No, I get what you're saying. I wouldn't be mad or heartbroken if we didn't offer him, but in general, I think we should take more borderline MN kids. Especially now, missing on a recruit doesn't really mess with the numbers like in years passed.
We don’t need to reach on a player when we are already extremely deep at a position, regardless of where he is from.

Is this guy too good to accept a PWO from us? He seems like the perfect candidate for that.

Top Bottom