Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Im not sure if this has been posted yet....but Cade McConnel Oline is takiong an official visit here tomorrow. He is a former TCU commit.

Is Cade McConnel the only scheduled visitor before the early NSD? I sure hope the Gophers get a commitment from him after his visit. We probably don't stand a chance with Carson Hinzman. It's looking like the Badgers or the Buckeyes for him.

Last edited:

Back to the 2022 recruiting thread.

Guys they are after:

OT- Matthew McCoy
OT- Carson Hizman
OT- Cade McConnell
OT- Isaiah Adams (JUCO)
IOL-Vega Ioane (Washington Commit)
IOL- Mystery commit
OT- Willie Tyler (Transfer)
DT- Enyce Sledge
DT- Kobie Turner (Transfer)
DL- Devonte Tezino
DL- Hayden Schwartz
TE- Logan Compton (JUCO)
WR- Zyion Claville
WR- Isaiah Garcia-Castenada (Transfer)
WR- Wesley Grimes (Wake Forest Commit)
LB- Jacoby Windmon (Transfer)
LB- Mystery Commit
CB- Ryan Stapp (Transfer)

247 "prospects"/"targets" page only shows high school players/recruits: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2022-Football/Targets/

That's a mistake. They really need to update their business model and start tracking portal transfers/recruiting.

Recruiting from the portal is going to be a very big aspects for a lot (most?) teams, going forward.
Problem is a lot of the transfers keep their list of new schools pretty quiet which would make tracking difficult.

Problem is a lot of the transfers keep their list of new schools pretty quiet which would make tracking difficult.
Well, isn't their (247's) business to figure that out??

Once it is known a player is in the portal, they're out. They should be open about which schools are recruiting them to transfer there. I don't see why not.

Well, isn't their (247's) business to figure that out??

Once it is known a player is in the portal, they're out. They should be open about which schools are recruiting them to transfer there. I don't see why not.
And how are they they going to know that if neither the player or the school is saying anything?
How many transfer players has PJ talked about in the last couple weeks?

And how are they they going to know that if neither the player or the school is saying anything?
How many transfer players has PJ talked about in the last couple weeks?
Do they normally ask P5 coaches "hey coach, which kids are you recruiting, so I can put that on my for profit site"?

Why is it so much different for high school recruits?

They have to get the info from somewhere, and I assume, there like I propose also for transfers, that the info largely comes from the players themselves (and/or their families).

Fleck in the house, visiting Nathan Jones whose Brock team advancing in the Texas playoffs. Word is PJ left Brock and flew to Abilene to visit with ACU's Ryan Stapp. Go to about 1:44

I'm not sure if it's my device, but I didn't make out anything that was said here!

Back to the 2022 recruiting thread.

Guys they are after:

OT- Matthew McCoy
OT- Carson Hizman
OT- Cade McConnell
OT- Isaiah Adams (JUCO)
IOL-Vega Ioane (Washington Commit)
IOL- Mystery commit
OT- Willie Tyler (Transfer)
DT- Enyce Sledge
DT- Kobie Turner (Transfer)
DL- Devonte Tezino
DL- Hayden Schwartz
TE- Logan Compton (JUCO)
WR- Zyion Claville
WR- Isaiah Garcia-Castenada (Transfer)
WR- Wesley Grimes (Wake Forest Commit)
LB- Jacoby Windmon (Transfer)
LB- Mystery Commit
CB- Ryan Stapp (Transfer)
This is off the paid site I assume? Curious who the mystery guys are.

Do they normally ask P5 coaches "hey coach, which kids are you recruiting, so I can put that on my for profit site"?

Why is it so much different for high school recruits?

They have to get the info from somewhere, and I assume, there like I propose also for transfers, that the info largely comes from the players themselves (and/or their families).
Much shorter time frame with portal transfers for information to circulate.

The 2 most recent commits, both FCS flips from Dakota schools, in Beers and Gerlach both camped with the Gophers this Summer and didn't get offers. I believe Beers also camped with Wisconsin but they never showed any interest. Obviously kids can grow/improve between the Summer and the end of their Senior year, but it's also possible that the staff thought they could get better prospects at those positions and have been unable to do so.

The 2 most recent commits, both FCS flips from Dakota schools, in Beers and Gerlach both camped with the Gophers this Summer and didn't get offers. I believe Beers also camped with Wisconsin but they never showed any interest. Obviously kids can grow/improve between the Summer and the end of their Senior year, but it's also possible that the staff thought they could get better prospects at those positions and have been unable to do so.
Yeah, I also think you're going to see fewer classes filling up early because of the transfer portal. I'm not saying this had anything to do with it with these two, but I kind of think recruiting is going to go slower until Thanksgiving then it's going to be warp speed until signing day.

I have to admit I am kind of surprised by the last 2 recruits. I love getting local kids that have been identified as possible develop and play kids, however it makes me wonder how recruiting is going. Are these just "backup" recruits that we are taking because others did not say yes? Is the shine PJ had on the recruiting trail wearing off? We will see. The one thing this year showed was we can consistently compete. It also showed is PJ is conservative in a way no recruit wants to see.

I have to admit I am kind of surprised by the last 2 recruits. I love getting local kids that have been identified as possible develop and play kids, however it makes me wonder how recruiting is going. Are these just "backup" recruits that we are taking because others did not say yes? Is the shine PJ had on the recruiting trail wearing off? We will see. The one thing this year showed was we can consistently compete. It also showed is PJ is conservative in a way no recruit wants to see.
On the conservative piece, will be interesting to see how things look with a new OC in charge. I don't recall the conservative gripes in 2019, that seems to have come in since Sanford arrived.

As to recruiting, tough to know exactly what to make of the last few guys, could be late bloomers, could be fall back options (though there really isn't a reason to rush on fall back guys just yet). The one thing that should be noted is that those guys stand out to us because they don't have a lot of power 5 offers, shows how that has just become something we expect with Fleck recruits. Wasn't that long ago that these last couple guys in would have fallen much closer to the top of the class and would have been the norm in terms of the caliber of recruit we were bringing in (guys where we were their best and many times only power 5 offer).

If we slip back to the point where these late recruits are the norm I will get concerned about recruiting. Time will tell I guess.

I’m guessing they likely were not option A guys. But I also think they are recruiting these guys for what they can be 3 or 4 years from now. I think there is more leeway for these type of guys with how the new transfer rules work now. There’s less of the, “well I hope this guy is ready cause we need him to be.” If a guy isn’t ready you can instantly fill the spot with experience through the portal. I also like taking local guys to develop as I think they are less likely to transfer, as I think being too far from home is a big factor in why many kids transfer.

Top Bottom