Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blessed to receive an offer from Minnesota <a href="https://t.co/ieemyDNsxs">pic.twitter.com/ieemyDNsxs</a></p>&mdash; Willie Tyler III™️ (@TheWillieTyler) <a href="">December 4, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Big guy. Well travelled. Iowa Western CC to Texas to Syracuse to Louisiana Monroe. In portal again. Grad transfer?

From reading things here and on social media, it seems like the staff is trying really hard to add some veteran OT's to play next year. On one hand, that's great if they are really impact players. On the other this "developmental program" has had as long a time to develop some starters they feel good about as they are ever going to have with Andries/Faalele/Schlueter starting at the tackle spots for the last 3 seasons.

Fleck in the house, visiting Nathan Jones whose Brock team advancing in the Texas playoffs. Word is PJ left Brock and flew to Abilene to visit with ACU's Ryan Stapp. Go to about 1:44

Man….he was described as undersized…..maybe skinny. That’s a good sized high school kid who is very athletic. Excited for his future……

From reading things here and on social media, it seems like the staff is trying really hard to add some veteran OT's to play next year. On one hand, that's great if they are really impact players. On the other this "developmental program" has had as long a time to develop some starters they feel good about as they are ever going to have with Andries/Faalele/Schlueter starting at the tackle spots for the last 3 seasons.
Never hurts to have some experienced depth players for rotation and in case of injuries.

There is high/risk reward in relying on the Transfer Portal to shore up holes in the boat.

Also a huge difference between relying on the portal and using the portal to augment depth
Exactly. And also agree that transfers are different than juco guys. Relying on transfer qbs every year feels risky, but bringing in experienced position players to bolster your roster is going to be very common across the board in this new transfer portal era we are in.

Exactly. And also agree that transfers are different than juco guys. Relying on transfer qbs every year feels risky, but bringing in experienced position players to bolster your roster is going to be very common across the board in this new transfer portal era we are in.
If you have a year or two of film of a guy playing division 1 football, it's pretty hard to make a major mistake in evaluation.

You run the risk of losing your internal developmental guys. If they see that they are buried deep in the depth chart, they might decide to go elsewhere.
If they're buried deep on the depth chart, they probably aren't that good.

David Cobb had 11 carries for 65 yards his FR and SO seasons...that seems pretty damn deep to me.
I think Cobb was closer to playing than his stats indicate. Nugget and Kirkwood were getting all the reps ahead of him, but he was RB#3. I don't consider being RB#3 being deep on the depth chart.

I think Cobb was closer to playing than his stats indicate. Nugget and Kirkwood were getting all the reps ahead of him, but he was RB#3. I don't consider being RB#3 being deep on the depth chart.
Think all you want he had 5 carries all season...Devon Wright & KJ Maye had more as WRs and Gillum was RB 3 with 27 carries and technically Q was more RB/Catback with 72 carries. He was fucking deep on the chart.

Think all you want he had 5 carries all season...Devon Wright & KJ Maye had more as WRs and Gillum was RB 3 with 27 carries and technically Q was more RB/Catback with 72 carries. He was fucking deep on the chart.
LOL. So he was so deep that the next year he leapfrogged every player you just mentioned? Yep super deep.

IIRC, David Cobb was on the verge of transferring. The coaches had to convince him to stay. He had a change in attitude and put in the hard work. Fate via the injury to Donnell Kirkwood intervened. He started and never relinquished it.

So, being #3 on the depth chart doesn’t necessarily keep a player from transferring.

Zack Annexstad got hurt and backup Tanner Morgan took his place and never looked back. The Gophers are fortunate they had team players that fit the culture and want to stay and contribute.

I feel for Zack. He was a great exemplary leader and team player. I feel bad that he is transferring in order to be a starter.

IIRC, David Cobb was on the verge of transferring. The coaches had to convince him to stay. He had a change in attitude and put in the hard work. Fate via the injury to Donnell Kirkwood intervened. He started and never relinquished it.

So, being #3 on the depth chart doesn’t necessarily keep a player from transferring.

Zack Annexstad got hurt and backup Tanner Morgan took his place and never looked back. The Gophers are fortunate they had team players that fit the culture and want to stay and contribute.

I feel for Zack. He was a great exemplary leader and team player. I feel bad that he is transferring in order to be a starter.
I think we see it more with the QBs because you only play 1 and even casual fans know the backups. I'll cheer for Zak but I believe he was passed on the depth chart by Kramer and/or Athan. Most likely Athan.

I think we see it more with the QBs because you only play 1 and even casual fans know the backups. I'll cheer for Zak but I believe he was passed on the depth chart by Kramer and/or Athan. Most likely Athan.
PJ Fleck is an up front coach. He’s had lots of difficult conversations for breakfast.

He is true to his mission of bringing back the Gophers to prominence while at the same time have the best interests of his players in mind.

So, he is constantly out-recruiting his players. I still can’t fathom how PJ Fleck does what he does. He makes men out of boys the right way.

He is one of a kind and I am glad that he is coaching the Gophers.

He will be tested time and time again. He is constantly learning. He has to be able to fire his coaches when it is necessary for the good of the team. He is not perfect. He has to learn to cast a wider net for coaches other than his friends.

There may be coaches out there that are on par or better than his recent hires. The key is he has a central core of coaches that stay loyal to him and most likely want to stay with him for the long haul. Their families are entrenched here in the Twin Cities.

He is open with his coaches about helping them with their careers and moving on to their next gig.

He has to constantly network with potential coaches. Unfortunately, he landed Mike Sanford Jr. He wasn’t a good fit for the Gophers Offebse.

This hire and PJ Fleck’s coaching decisions cost the Gophers a shot at the Big Ten title by the thinnest of margins. There were lessons learned.

Don't worry. They are still recruiting for the 2022 class.

Top Bottom