Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are the targets we have a strong shot at now? Doesn't seem to be much news lately, maybe things will ramp up coming out of the dead period. Doesn't seem we are in the driver seat for any of the LBs or DTs we were after. Townley is the one I feel best about right now followed by Leingang. Only other one I can think of is Alt, not sure what he is waiting on I thought he would go to Iowa or MN, but hasn't pulled the trigger.
I don't know how accurate it is, but at least it's something: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/Targets/

With the NCAA extending the dead period ... I just wonder if recruits in the 2021 class that haven't committed by now, are going to hold out until in-person visits are allowed again.

Which could make for a very dull summer of no recruiting news. :(

I don't know how accurate it is, but at least it's something: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/Targets/

With the NCAA extending the dead period ... I just wonder if recruits in the 2021 class that haven't committed by now, are going to hold out until in-person visits are allowed again.

Well lets be happy for what you have. You're probably right that some people who haven't committed will wait until in-person visits are allowed.

Take Townley, for example. Kid probably hasn't had much of a chance in his life to get outside North Mpls. I could very well be wrong, I'm making an assumption.

But he absolutely should take advantage of his hard work to take other schools up on their offer to fly him out, treat him to a great time, etc. See some other parts of the country. Go to Boston, check out BC. Go to Penn St. There will probably be others.

And then commit to Minnesota. :D

That's the list I'm judging things off of. Doesn't seem like it has us listed that favorably for many guys.

That's the list I'm judging things off of. Doesn't seem like it has us listed that favorably for many guys.
Right. Just Townley right now, which I gave my thoughts on him taking visits elsewhere two posts above.

Do we see a Recruiting Bonanza Part II later on in the year?

There may be names that are not on the radar yet. We'll hve to see if there are late bloomers that currently are not on the hot list.

A coaching staff with previous NFL HC’s in Herm Edwards and Marvin Lewis, as well as solid NFL players in Kevin Mawae and Antonio Pierce would look pretty a appealing to a high school recruit with NFL aspirations.

Having said that, ASU is a terrible team in a terrible town with a terrible stadium and terrible fans - for any potential gopher recruit that may be reading this.
Don’t forget terrible cheer leaders, terrible uniforms, and a terrible fight song.

I just saw that Jamari Buddin is making his announcement on the 17th. After being "cool" for a long time, Buddin is now shown as "warm" for Minnesota again. I'm making no predictions, but it would be huge if the Gophers somehow beat out Penn State

I just saw that Jamari Buddin is making his announcement on the 17th. After being "cool" for a long time, Buddin is now shown as "warm" for Minnesota again. I'm making no predictions, but it would be huge if the Gophers somehow beat out Penn State
Beat them on the field, no reason not to win some recruiting battles with them.

Wiltfong has him to Penn St with 7 confidence, on July 2nd. He has correctly predicted 303 out of 305 for the 2021 class.

That would not seem to bode well. :(

Alt picking up steam to ND.

Damn. When a rush of balls come in like that, the jig is up and "forecasters" are trying to get their balls in before the announcement, to boost their stats.

Guess the bad press scared him off of Iowa. And he's from the Cities, so obviously he's not going to play for the Gophers looolllll1

Why is Fleck having such a difficult time recruiting Minnesota kids? It’s getting ridiculous.

Why is Fleck having such a difficult time recruiting Minnesota kids? It’s getting ridiculous.
The convo has gone round and round. I still say that we'll never get away from the "kids spent all their lives growing up in Minn, and want to go somewhere else" as part of the reason, no matter how well we do.

I believe that will change as we get the younger folks become Gopher fans and then they want to be apart of it growing up. Some of these guys could be here but they don't have a good vision of the future and all they can think of is the past. Wasn't that long ago we were dealing with Brewster etc.

Well... Let's see some possibilities:
They haven't won a title in eons.
PJ Fleck is deemed as quirky by recruits/their families.
Generations of kids do not identify with the Gophers losing ways.
Kids just want to leave the State to experience something different.
Highly rated kids have better options.

Things will change with the Gophers winning winning a title.
New kids are going to Gopher Camps.
PJ does a lot of positive PR.
Things will definitely change when they start sending more players yearly into the Pros.

Wiltfong has him to Penn St with 7 confidence, on July 2nd. He has correctly predicted 303 out of 305 for the 2021 class.

That would not seem to bode well. :(
If he is still predicting that on July 16th, then that is something. They change their predictions all the way up to when they verbally commit and scramble to get in before the announcement.

Well... Let's see some possibilities:
They haven't won a title in eons.
PJ Fleck is deemed as quirky by recruits/their families.
Generations of kids do not identify with the Gophers losing ways.
Kids just want to leave the State to experience something different.
Highly rated kids have better options.

Things will change with the Gophers winning winning a title.
New kids are going to Gopher Camps.
PJ does a lot of positive PR.
Things will definitely change when they start sending more players yearly into the Pros.

Too many excuses. I’m not exactly bashing PJ. He’s a great coach. But, for whatever reason, he doesn’t seem to have a legitimate shot at getting the top in-state kids, despite 11 wins, new facilities, etc. It’s time to turn it around.

Too many excuses. I’m not exactly bashing PJ. He’s a great coach. But, for whatever reason, he doesn’t seem to have a legitimate shot at getting the top in-state kids, despite 11 wins, new facilities, etc. It’s time to turn it around.
Our top in-state kids better than anyone other else's top in-state kids?

Takes time. As others have said, younger kids going to Gopher camps etc. Should be easier as time goes along. Lets also face it. We have many people now living here in Minnesota that were born and raise in other states and their kids are going to those schools.

Right now, a major difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin, is they keep their top in-state OL recruits, and we don’t. Am I wrong?
I don't know, I'm hoping our OL is one of our strengths this year. Not that it wouldn't be strong with more guys from MN, but not sure if it's a requirement.

Who cares what state the kids come from? If many of these kids in the 2021 class were from MN they would be the top kids in MN, by far. He is building a National Brand so the recruits are from all over the nation. More like Ohio State than WI.

OK, the takeaway from the last few comments is that it doesn’t matter whether we get the top in-state recruits. Go it. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom