Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like everyones predicting Murphy to Baylor now. I wonder if they look at a juco or transfer DT for next year.

The Gophers have offered two DTs. They are long shots.

Dorien Ford - DT 6' 4", 290 lbs, Pittsburgh PA. A Pitt lean.

Taleeq Robbins - DT, 6' 3", 300 lbs, Philadelphia PA. A Texas A&M lean.

When is Lake Fest happening at the Fleck Marina ? I would think the recruits would love a free trip to Minni to see all those great beaches and beautiful women in those bikini's. Its really a dream come true. We do have some of the best facilities and a positive culture which the entire state is changing into. But more then anything, you'll see. Winning Championships, making relationships, building your future, and having a whole lot of fun. Any names you might know that are looking to come to the party? Even our current commits need to be talking to their buds, which I'm sure they are.
Come build that boat the Fleck way.

When is Lake Fest happening at the Fleck Marina ? I would think the recruits would love a free trip to Minni to see all those great beaches and beautiful women in those bikini's. Its really a dream come true. We do have some of the best facilities and a positive culture which the entire state is changing into. But more then anything, you'll see. Winning Championships, making relationships, building your future, and having a whole lot of fun. Any names you might know that are looking to come to the party? Even our current commits need to be talking to their buds, which I'm sure they are.
Come build that boat the Fleck way.
NCAA won't allow recruits to visit

Parents probably reluctant to let their sons travel on planes anyway, until there is a vaccine.
Some athletes would definitely still be reluctant but if the NCAA let athletes visit colleges I do think a lot of kids would risk it, especially if the college they wanna visit is in the same region as where they live

Lots of cheap airfare into Minneapolis right now. Parents could definitely afford to do the trip. Come see Minnesota at its finest.?‍??‍????? ?️‍♀️ ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♂️

Maybe he ought to talk to Matt Birk who went to Harvard for some advise/perspective.

If he truly wants to be a Gopher and if his family has the financial wherewithal, he should go PWO to the U. If he is that good, he can compete against the best anywhere. The Gophers are loaded at the position.

If it is the pros that he wants, look at Minnesotan Trey Lance at NDSU. He will be in the Pros. Kristoff Kowalkowski will most likely get more looks at the FCS level by the pros than being a backup player at a D1 school.

PJ Fleck has to recruit nationally to elevate the program to elite level.

He has a tough battle when it comes to home grown talent. The Carrolls, Benharts, and Mahlmans who are highly ranked don't want to be Gophers. Maybe the tide will turn when they start winning titles.

He is getting Minnesota kids on the roster who may be the next Blake Cashman, Sam Renner, Kamal Martin, Carter Coughlin, and Tyler Johnson for that matter.

PJ Fleck is emphatic about Gopher Football being a developmental program. He wants to puts many players in the Pros. Five Gophers were drafted into the NFL in 2020. The Pros are paying attention. Recruits nationally are also noticing.

This is why we should be very excited as Gopher fans.

A cursory count at the current published roster show 37 players from Minnesota not counting neighboring states. So, it is not like the Gophers are not paying attention to instate players.
Good points made. Bring on as many good players as possible and give more love to the local kids. Minnesota kids just will not get star ratings like the southern states, less hype. I would take a local kid who has grown up a Gopher, over a hyped kid who just presents because he received an offer.

Good points made. Bring on as many good players as possible and give more love to the local kids. Minnesota kids just will not get star ratings like the southern states, less hype. I would take a local kid who has grown up a Gopher, over a hyped kid who just presents because he received an offer.

Your point that some instate kids are being under rated by recruiting sites is spot on. They may be late bloomers or have not camped enough to be noticed. I like the way the Gophers do thorough evaluations. They know where the hidden gems are. They don't necessarily trust the star ratings 100%. I will take a 3-Star thoroughly evaluated by Gopher Staff over a 4-Star player that was not. They check the baggage before they even offer a recruit. They are running a clean program.

Hopefully they know about the COVID restrictions at the places they mention they are going to. Sounds like beaches will be closed and groups larger than 10 not allowed to congregate in Cooper City (where they mention they'll have the BBQ). PS - I am not making any political statement here. Was just curious what was going on there so I looked it up.

STrib: Five notable players in the Gophers' 2021 class

Avante Dickerson, CB, Omaha

The highest-rated four-star recruit in the class and the No. 1 prospect in his state, per 247Sports.com.

Athan Kaliakmanis, QB, Antioch, Ill.

Four-star committed to the Gophers more than a year ago. His brother Dino is a wide receiver in this class, too.

Steven Ortiz Jr., CB, Goodyear, Ariz.

Another four-star, he committed to the Gophers sight unseen despite offers from programs such as Penn State and Oregon.

Mar’Keise Irving, RB, Country Club Hills, Ill.

The No. 15 running back in the nation, per 247Sports.com, and another four-star recruit.

Austin Booker, DE, Greenwood, Ind.

Committed to the Gophers during the height of unrest in the Twin Cities after George Floyd’s death.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Never gets old seeing us in the running with some of the heavy hitters on the recruiting front.

Based on the story below I don't know that we have much of a shot of landing him given the way he talked about each of his top 10 but still great to be in the running for a really high profile guy like this. Even if he ultimately decides to go somewhere else, these were the kind of recruits that wouldn't even give us the time of day in the past.

Last edited:

Never gets old seeing us in the running with some of the heavy hitters on the recruiting front.

Based on the story below I don't know that we have much of a shot of landing him given the way he talked about each of his top 10 but still great to be in the running for a really high profile guy like this. Even if he ultimately decides to go somewhere else, these were the kind of recruits that wouldn't even give us the time of day in the past.

Based on that list, Gophs would be #6-7 IMHO.

We had a feeling you might...

Looks like the gophers need to find another cornerback as Crumpley just decommitted

Of course, Gilliam and Crumpley are bigger stories. However, I was interested to see that the Gophers just offered Leingang, the center from Bismarck. He has some fairly good offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom