Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting takes 4 things:

1.) Coach who can cast a visions and develop relationships. CHECK
2.) Proven track record of developing NFL level talent - MOSTLY THERE
3.) Team culture that others want to be a part of. CHECK
4.) Winning, Winning, Winning - MOSTLY THERE

What I believe hurts us with local recruits is a culture of losing and coaching changes. A player from out of state isn't as impacted by this narrative. They just look at the 4 things mentioned above. MN players think about winning and it is hard for them or their parents to not think if I send my son to the U, the coach will either be gone or we will be back to our losing ways. Changing the MN mindset will take time.
Great post. The only reason to change coaches is the losing. It is fine the first couple years as tou need your own upperclassmen and your own culture but if you have bit broken through in a big way by year 5 or 6 you never will. You never keep waiting past a certain point.A AD has a idea at the hire if he is a great AD but even the fan base can see it by year 2, even through the losing. Basketball you can see it in one year because of how much smaller the operation is to create the culture. If you had access to practice when Fleck got here (i did not) and had a trained eye you would have seen it right away. In basketball i see it right away. Fleck established exactly what he wanted and it was all welcoming if you RTB. He clearly has a gift as a teacher with a vision that connects. Some may not like the way it is delivered. That is ok, it filters out those that do not fit. Fans that do not like the style or personality will come around quickly with the wins. Look at the board. There were plenty of anti Fleck guys before last year, now there are none.

I understand that the timing makes you scratch your head, but was he not more highly regarded than Purcell the whole time, regardless of ranking?

Maybe more highly regarded given he has an NFL father and plays for a bigger high school program, but he’s going to be switching positions. I think Purcell is more athletic, and he plays for an obscure outstate HS program. If he hadn’t committed here so early, I’m sure he would have gotten a lot more attention from other P5 programs. It’s probably too early to project anything for either of them.

Maybe more highly regarded given he has an NFL father and plays for a bigger high school program, but he’s going to be switching positions. I think Purcell is more athletic, and he plays for an obscure outstate HS program. If he hadn’t committed here so early, I’m sure he would have gotten a lot more attention from other P5 programs. It’s probably too early to project anything for either of them.
Probably tough to evaluate against his high school competition unless it’s fairly deep in the playoffs, since guessing he’s much larger than the kids he’s going against.

But assume he’s done camps/combines and performed pretty well there. And something like that is what warranted his Gopher offer?

Otherwise, there are lots of “big guys” floating around in the out state. But obviously just being big doesn’t cut it.

By highly regarded I mean better offers, played against better competition, that can definitely be dabated though. I don't think there is a big difference in Alt playing TE and Purcell absolutely planting 6'3 200lb DE's against smaller schools, but the offers are a little telling to me. Isn't Alt a glorified OL in TG's offense? I thought they pounded the ball quite a bit.

Not saying Alt is definitely better as you do make a great point that its harder to gauge outstate players and if he hadn't committed so early, he definitely would have more offers, but its hard to argue with why he is ranked higher imo

I understand that the timing makes you scratch your head, but was he not more highly regarded than Purcell the whole time, regardless of ranking?

I don't know. Not sure how the ratings of the two have fluctuated. I know Alt was picking up more recent offers, but that should be expected with Purcell committed. Alt had the pedigree and early Iowa offer which probably made him more well known.

By highly regarded I mean better offers, played against better competition, that can definitely be dabated though. I don't think there is a big difference in Alt playing TE and Purcell absolutely planting 6'3 200lb DE's against smaller schools, but the offers are a little telling to me. Isn't Alt a glorified OL in TG's offense? I thought they pounded the ball quite a bit.

Not saying Alt is definitely better as you do make a great point that its harder to gauge outstate players and if he hadn't committed so early, he definitely would have more offers, but its hard to argue with why he is ranked higher imo

I'm not really arguing that he should or shouldn't be ranked higher, but I do find it silly that they rated them one way then one guy eventually commits to ND and they run back and immediately change it. It's not like they got senior year film or they saw Alt at a recent camp. They would probably claim they went back and evaluated more tape.

Purcell’s situation is similar to Eastern’s. They were both under the radar, and knew they wanted to be Gophers early on. In the case of Eastern, he’s been contacted by helmet schools since committing, including Ohio State. He has a 90 rating on 247, without a lot of offers, because he shut his recruiting down. Purcell is rated 88, which is high for someone with only one P5 offer, but he shut it down right away too.

Never really understood the obsession a lot of fans have about where a recruit is from, and the hand wringing that goes on when local guys commit elsewhere. If the coach recruits the local kid and he elects to go elsewhere it is what it is.

The only way you could really fault Fleck or Pitino when it comes to not landing higher rated in-state kids would be if they were not recruiting them. If they recruit them as hard as they recruit guys from other states I really don't know what more some fans expect.

Hopefully we hit a point where kids grow up dreaming of being Gophers and elect to stay home all the time but if the coaching staff makes a legit run at them and they decide to pursue another opportunity you move on to other options. In the end the important part is getting guys that want to be here, regardless of where they are from.

I'm not really arguing that he should or shouldn't be ranked higher, but I do find it silly that they rated them one way then one guy eventually commits to ND and they run back and immediately change it. It's not like they got senior year film or they saw Alt at a recent camp. They would probably claim they went back and evaluated more tape.

Who's "they"?

247sports.com
I have no idea how it works. But isn’t it possible that if a seemingly “lower” level guy commits to a major program, that would automatically trigger a re-assessment perhaps by another rater, and/or an “audit” of the assessment(s) that had been done?

In a perfect world, their assessments would’ve caught that he was a major recruit earlier on, so maybe they’d line the learn what they missed.

247sports.com

Alt.png
Purcell.png

Logan Purcell has never had a higher rating than Joe Alt on 247. Alt's latest bump, from 88 to 89, came a week before he commited to Notre Dame. Purcell's rating went from 80 to 85 about 2 weeks after he committed to Minnesota. If anything, Purcell has benefited by his commitment to Minnesota, as the two were 87 vs. 80 at the end of January, and are now 89 vs. 88.

Purcell’s situation is similar to Eastern’s. They were both under the radar, and knew they wanted to be Gophers early on. In the case of Eastern, he’s been contacted by helmet schools since committing, including Ohio State. He has a 90 rating on 247, without a lot of offers, because he shut his recruiting down. Purcell is rated 88, which is high for someone with only one P5 offer, but he shut it down right away too.
Purcell is nowhere near the physical specimen Eastern is, Eastern kicked a Cal OT commits ass on film last year. Eastern also plays way better teams. I don't think this is a great comparison, and I don't think Purcell has gotten the continued interest like Eastern has.

View attachment 8671
View attachment 8672

Logan Purcell has never had a higher rating than Joe Alt on 247. Alt's latest bump, from 88 to 89, came a week before he commited to Notre Dame. Purcell's rating went from 80 to 85 about 2 weeks after he committed to Minnesota. If anything, Purcell has benefited by his commitment to Minnesota, as the two were 87 vs. 80 at the end of January, and are now 89 vs. 88.
Good catch here, didn't realize this but also like I was stating initially. Not surprised that Alt is rated higher

View attachment 8671
View attachment 8672

Look at the composite tab. Ok maybe 247 didn't change it, but one of the sites that figure into the composite did.

Look at the composite tab. Ok maybe 247 didn't change it, but one of the sites that figure into the composite did.
The other sites don't have their historical ratings available to compare over time, but Purcell is currently rated higher than Alt at Rivals (5.6 to 5.5) despite the fictitious "Notre Dame bump," and we've already established that 247 has had Alt rated more highly all along. Thus, this seems likely to point to ESPN increasing their rating of Alt, who is now a 78 compared to a 75 for Purcell. The important thing to remember here is that ESPN's recruiting website is complete garbage and always has been.

Purcell is a better athlete, he is able to dunk. Alt has his dad taking care of him. Purcell is a prime example of a talented athlete from out state Minnesota. There are a lot of guys like this in our state. He stands out because of his length. There are more guys like this that get overlooked because of weak HS training and no media. NDSU/SDS love it. Alt runs like a 5.6 forty.

Purcell is a better athlete, he is able to dunk. Alt has his dad taking care of him. Purcell is a prime example of a talented athlete from out state Minnesota. There are a lot of guys like this in our state. He stands out because of his length. There are more guys like this that get overlooked because of weak HS training and no media. NDSU/SDS love it. Alt runs like a 5.6 forty.
Are sure ND would offer ALT at a 5.6 40.

Notre Dame has never even won a national title (according to you and TC😘). What's so special about some school in Indiana?
You can decide ND being special or not on your own. Count all the ones you want. Told you i am fine with Princeton having so many more than us. Yale, Harvard etc...I have been to several giant games in South Bend. Incredible experience, huge crowd, huge stadium. fans all over the country and one of the best schools anywhere.

You can decide ND being special or not on your own. Count all the ones you want. Told you i am fine with Princeton having so many more than us. Yale, Harvard etc...I have been to several giant games in South Bend. Incredible experience, huge crowd, huge stadium. fans all over the country and one of the best schools anywhere.

I'm just messing around with you, but nobody has done less with such deep resources as Notre Dame. Very unimpressive - and they play a lot of trash with the new ACC alignment. I don't think they'd finish Top 2 in the Big Ten West on a regular basis.

I'm just messing around with you, but nobody has done less with such deep resources as Notre Dame. Very unimpressive - and they play a lot of trash with the new ACC alignment. I don't think they'd finish Top 2 in the Big Ten West on a regular basis.
Never cheer for them but they are great for college football. I think they would finish top two in the West nearly every year. Despite not liking them they rocked it well the last two years and are pretty loaded up right now.We can win by having them do very well. I do not want them looking for a new coach.

With the Alt family connections to Iowa football I consider it a plus that he didn't commit there.

I wish they would get out of Big 10 hockey.

Hey Tommyboy, curious what you think about Aidan Kingsbury, Cade Ahrenholz and Dominic McMillian.

I just watched Alt’s and Purcell’s highlights again. I don’t know which one will be the better P5 player, but Purcell definitely looks more athletic and aggressive.

And yes, he can dunk. He should be able to do that at 6’7”, but he clearly moves well for his size.

Yes I agree we had some good players from instate last year. Only one that wasn't very highly rated was Martin. They weren't a bunch of 2 stars with no P5 offers.
Martin was QB at Burnsville, which is why he had his low star rating but he sure developed into a very good LB for MN and now on to the Pack in NFL. We missed on Trey Lance , Carson Wentz and Easton Stick all NDSU QB's who didn't get a MN offer and all will have NFL jobs. I do love the QB's on our roster. There is a lot of quality players that we just need to find. If HS football gets cancelled it will even be harder for recruiting and finding these hidden gems.

I just watched Alt’s and Purcell’s highlights again. I don’t know which one will be the better P5 player, but Purcell definitely looks more athletic and aggressive.

And yes, he can dunk. He should be able to do that at 6’7”, but he clearly moves well for his size.

He's got a lot of nasty to him looking at his videos and when he adds 90 pounds of muscle on that frame, he'll be a monster to deal with. I like Alt also.

Martin was QB at Burnsville, which is why he had his low star rating but he sure developed into a very good LB for MN and now on to the Pack in NFL. We missed on Trey Lance , Carson Wentz and Easton Stick all NDSU QB's who didn't get a MN offer and all will have NFL jobs. I do love the QB's on our roster. There is a lot of quality players that we just need to find. If HS football gets cancelled it will even be harder for recruiting and finding these hidden gems.
We “missed” on dozens of other FCS qbs through the years that got NFL jobs without a gopher offer, not sure why the NDSU ones matter, especially Stick who was from Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom