Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

per Sid's jottings:

• Gophers defensive coordinator Joe Rossi on the recruiting trail: “It’s definitely exciting. I think it has been different and you have to adapt. Coach [P.J.] Fleck has put together an elite plan, and then obviously the recruiting staff, we’re following it. Working the phones, working the video chats, the FaceTimes and the Zooms, everything we’re allowed to do. We’ve had some real positive results.”

Go Gophers!!

He is an expected 4th Rd draft pick in NHL this year (if draft happens). Essentially he has made it to some degree. My understanding is if he plays football it will be because he loves playing the game. He is a great athlete that will excel in whatever he picks. However, hockey would pose the least risk if the goal is to be a professional athlete.
I would bet his odds of making it to the NHL would be about 50-100 times higher than making it to the NFL. He would truly only choose football for his love of the game.

I would bet his odds of making it to the NHL would be about 50-100 times higher than making it to the NFL. He would truly only choose football for his love of the game.
Yeah and the NHL (and baseball for that matter) gives you SO MUCH MORE TIME to potentially develop with various leagues and etc.

In football, if you aren't quite ready and get cut ... it's likely over, possibly no more tryouts and nowhere to go...

To really get a sense for how much this class is a step up from previous years all you have to do is look at the class ranking points for 247. We won't stay in the top 10 when some of the big time recruits sign and helmet schools jump up, but if you compare 2021 to previous Fleck classes the jump is pretty dramatic. Leaving aside 2017 since it was a transition year.

2018 - 25 recruits - 206 points - 8.24 avg points per recruit - Team Rank #38
2019 - 21 recruits - 194 points - 9.24 avg points per recruit - Team Rank # 45
2020 - 24 recruits - 199 points - 8.29 avg points per recruit - Team Rank #38
2021 - 16 recruits - 199 points - 12.44 avg point per recruit - Team Rank TBD

Obviously it can all change a lot between now and December, but I will be shocked if this class doesn't end up in 247s top 25 when it is all said and done and frankly if some of the other top prospects come on board as well and we don't lose any big guys, this class could easily end up in the top 20.

Can't wait to see what all these guys can do when they get on campus eventually. Really exciting to see the jump we have made in recruiting in such a short time. No guarantees that guys will live up the hype but the early returns on Fleck's classes have been very positive so definite reason to hope that this 2021 group will turn out to be something truly special.

It has to be a fun time to be a member of the Gophers coaching staff!

QB - ✅
RB - ✅
WR - ✅
TE - ✅
CB - ✅
S - ✅
Only need a few more OL and LB, and maybe one more DL to finish the class up. Obviously there's still a ton of time left. Main thing now will be to keep the recruits who are committed happy and excited about Minnesota.

QB - ✅
RB - ✅
WR - ✅
TE - ✅
CB - ✅
S - ✅
Only need a few more OL and LB, and maybe one more DL to finish the class up. Obviously there's still a ton of time left. Main thing now will be to keep the recruits who are committed happy and excited about Minnesota.

This 2021 class is great, but we've also got a solid class in 2020 here. 3 OL included in that class. Could definitely use more in this class but guys will find their way either through that class or another. Crazy the 2020 class hasn't even been part of a down for the Gophs. 2021 class is awesome no doubt, but let's get some momentum with these 2020 kids too (y)

Big Ten is stacking the rankings. Who saw the Gophers at 6 and Iowa at 7? Yes, it's May but teams have somewhat similar numbers in commits.
No football without all colleges in session on campus gonna be interesting to see. Money is going to be a factor in decisions.
Great job PJ!!

To really get a sense for how much this class is a step up from previous years all you have to do is look at the class ranking points for 247. We won't stay in the top 10 when some of the big time recruits sign and helmet schools jump up, but if you compare 2021 to previous Fleck classes the jump is pretty dramatic. Leaving aside 2017 since it was a transition year.

2018 - 25 recruits - 206 points - 8.24 avg points per recruit - Team Rank #38
2019 - 21 recruits - 194 points - 9.24 avg points per recruit - Team Rank # 45
2020 - 24 recruits - 199 points - 8.29 avg points per recruit - Team Rank #38
2021 - 16 recruits - 199 points - 12.44 avg point per recruit - Team Rank TBD

Obviously it can all change a lot between now and December, but I will be shocked if this class doesn't end up in 247s top 25 when it is all said and done and frankly if some of the other top prospects come on board as well and we don't lose any big guys, this class could easily end up in the top 20.

Can't wait to see what all these guys can do when they get on campus eventually. Really exciting to see the jump we have made in recruiting in such a short time. No guarantees that guys will live up the hype but the early returns on Fleck's classes have been very positive so definite reason to hope that this 2021 group will turn out to be something truly special.
It's crazy to think that this class is virtually tied with last year's class at this point in composite points!

How many more are expected to be added to this class?

I'm sorry, but also not sorry: with the momentum this class has built up, they have to figure out a way to sign the full 25. How can you turn down 4* kids who want to come here??

Sorry, but a few guys who were signed in 2017 and 2018 classes and are looking like they're not going to be contributors ..... you really need to start thinking about where you want to transfer to.

If you believe in what Fleck is doing, and want to do what is best for the Gophers and your teammates ...... you'll make the right decision.

I'm supporting this Rimac kid. I know he's ranked a little lower, but he's a kid that's starting to get a lot more attention and I'm a fan of the big boys.

I'm supporting this Rimac kid. I know he's ranked a little lower, but he's a kid that's starting to get a lot more attention and I'm a fan of the big boys.

Another OT that is "warm" for us in the "top target" for 2021:

I'm sorry, but also not sorry: with the momentum this class has built up, they have to figure out a way to sign the full 25. How can you turn down 4* kids who want to come here??

Sorry, but a few guys who were signed in 2017 and 2018 classes and are looking like they're not going to be contributors ..... you really need to start thinking about where you want to transfer to.

If you believe in what Fleck is doing, and want to do what is best for the Gophers and your teammates ...... you'll make the right decision.

You don’t alienate the team by having huge turnover every year. I really don’t see another likely four star signing this year, hopefully we get a couple surprises, but it’s not like we are going to add nine more four stars to get to 25. A 3 star senior can help a team more than four star freshman often times.

Love that we have hit a point where a kid with an 85 - 247 ranking and multiple power 5 offers including Purdue, Indiana, and Wisconsin draws a qualifier of being considered lower ranked. Continues to illustrate the new pool we are swimming in for recruiting. Good times :)

Rimac and Barber look great to me IF they want to be here. Seems like the players who want to be here always do better. I would welcome both of them with open arms.

You don’t alienate the team by having huge turnover every year. I really don’t see another likely four star signing this year, hopefully we get a couple surprises, but it’s not like we are going to add nine more four stars to get to 25. A 3 star senior can help a team more than four star freshman often times.
You sure about that???

Also, there already is huge turnover every year. There has to be. 5 x 25 = 125, but the maximum on scholarship is only 85. There has to be players that retire or transfer out, every year. That's turnover.

If you're a 2017, you've had at least 2017, 2018, and 2019 falls, plus two or three springs. If you're not a contributor by now, you probably won't be. 2018 you're probably riding a fine line, if you're not seeing the field by now. This spring would've been big for you, but it got cut off.

I think we still have a good shot at Buddin. And Cameron James as well who is a 4 star by 247 rankings

And what about Junior Alexander, the kid from Seattle?

I would be more surprised to get Junior Alexander than if we got Jamari Buddin, Cameron James, or Jaydon Hood

Yeah, Alexander is gonna be tough to get away from hometown Washington. His HS QB (Huard) is already committed to go there

Ok. But if more 4* players decided they wanted to join this class, is there really someone here that would prefer to turn them away over players in 2017/2018 classes that haven’t contributed (much) yet? I wouldn’t, but I don’t get paid the big bucks.

You sure about that???

Also, there already is huge turnover every year. There has to be. 5 x 25 = 125, but the maximum on scholarship is only 85. There has to be players that retire or transfer out, every year. That's turnover.

If you're a 2017, you've had at least 2017, 2018, and 2019 falls, plus two or three springs. If you're not a contributor by now, you probably won't be. 2018 you're probably riding a fine line, if you're not seeing the field by now. This spring would've been big for you, but it got cut off.

That’s why you don’t sign 25 every year unless you have a good idea of transfers etc. And yes I am pretty sure we won’t be signing anywhere close to nine more four stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom