Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he as come up in this thread in the past but haven't seen a ton about him recently. That said, he has to be a lock for us with that name right? :)

I know he as come up in this thread in the past but haven't seen a ton about him recently. That said, he has to be a lock for us with that name right? :)

Actually, I think that the Gophers have a fairly good chance. With Minnesota and Oregon listed as "warm", he is open to leaving. the South. Alabama and Auburn are after "better" players. I think that the Gophers would be making a statement if they can get a good player out of Alabama. They just offered a 2022 player who has been committed to Auburn since 2019.

per Josh:

Recruiting Snapshot: Minnesota Golden Gophers

Current rank: No. 8
Number of commits: 16
Top commits: Four-star CB
Avante Dickerson
(No. 208), four-star DB
Steven Ortiz
, three-star LB
Devon Williams

Top targets: Four-star DE
Kyran Montgomery
(No. 222), four-star LB
Jamari Buddin
(No. 226), three-star OT
Cameron James

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS WITH MINNESOTA FANS AT THEGOPHERREPORT.COM
LOCAL REACTION
"The Gophers have already corralled 16 commitments in their eighth-ranked 2021 recruiting class and filled several needs, particularly at defensive back, highlighted by a pair of four-stars in
Avante Dickerson and Steven Ortiz. Offensive line will be a main focus for Minnesota moving forward, and the Gophers are keying on Joe Alt, Cameron James and Otto Hess. Indianapolis products Kyran Montgomeryand Austin Bookerare two targets the Gophers would like to add along the defensive line. Adding some best available options at linebacker and wide receiver will also be a focal point."

NATIONAL REACTION

National reaction: "Top 10? Minnesota recruiting has never tasted air this high, but P.J. Fleck has shown the ability time and again to shatter expectations, especially on the recruiting trail. It was obvious Fleck and company wanted to make their roster more explosive via this 2021 class, and they have added some home-run hitters on the offensive side of the football, including running back
Mar’Keise Irving, who just committed on Mother’s Day. Like several of the Gophers' recent commitments, Irving never visited the campus, so the biggest challenge between now and signing day will be keeping this class intact once visits start up again.”

Go Gophers!!

Added ‘leg work’ helped Gophers’ Fleck land four-star running back

Hillcrest High School football announcer Don Houston has a simple touchdown call for when Mar’Keise “Bucky” Irving scores during home games in suburban Chicago.

“BUCKY FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!”

For how concise and traditional Houston describes it on Friday nights, his words somehow have been used against him in his English classroom on Monday mornings. His students — the fans, cheerleaders and players hearing him on the loudspeaker — say the call has become a bit of a broken record.

“Some of my students would tease me,” Houston said. “A lot of students … say all they would hear me say is ‘Bucky this’ and ‘Bucky that.’ ”

“Well, someone else has to do something!” Houston said in an interview with the Pioneer Press. “Eventually those guys did step up and the rest of the teammates played really well, also.”

Go Gophers!!

What could be better than Bucky running amok against Bucky.

The ultimate troll move. "Bucky for the game winning touchdown against the Bastards I mean Badgers!!!!" I think the internet would break.
Edit: I didn't mean troll directed at you, I meant people on the internet would do it.

Disabato: Minnesota was there when his grandma died. Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving now wants to be there for the Gophers.

For Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving, May 9, 2019, is a day he will never forget.

Mostly for the heartache, but also for an opportunity.

It’s the day Irving’s grandmother, Darlene, died after a short illness. She was just 59.

“She lived with us for 16 years of my life,” Mar’Keise said. “She was always there for me when I needed her. She took care of me like she was my own mother.”

Hillcrest coach Morgan Weaver saw the effects Darlene’s death had on his star player.

“He was devastated,” Weaver said. “He lost the rock of the family. It was a tough process.”

At the worst moment of his life, however, Irving experienced a ray of sunshine.

Later that same day, Minnesota running backs coach Kenni Burns offered him a scholarship.

If you’re a person of faith, you will believe it was Darlene’s spirit helping to console her grandson.
Triumph through tragedy.

“I was really sad and then kind of happy,” Mar’Keise said. “Minnesota knew about my grandma’s passing. They said they wanted to make the day special in some way. It definitely made me feel better.”

Go Gophers!!

We need some help finishing out this year’s recruiting cycle. Let’s go big - Steven Ortiz Gettin it done

We need some help finishing out this year’s recruiting cycle. Let’s go big - Steven Ortiz Gettin it done

The awesome part is that we could add nobody to this class and it would be a great class but we still have multiple spots to fill and keep building on what we have in place.

per Sid:

• Avante Dickerson is one of the highest-rated high school football recruits to ever choose playing for the Gophers. The cornerback from Omaha told the Lincoln Star Journal why he picked coach P.J. Fleck’s program over schools such as Ohio State, LSU, Penn State, Texas, Oregon and USC. “Some schools just offered and then didn’t talk to me,” Dickerson said. “[The Gophers] were my third offer and the fact they stayed in contact ever since showed how much they cared. They didn’t just treat me like another athlete, they treated me like I was a big priority for them.”

Go Gophers!!

Jaydon Hood with crystal ball to michigan. Calling 100%, but only 2 predictions. Not liking the harbaugh diarrhea pants guy if he takes Jaydon and/or Jamari.

Very nice article, worth clicking on the link to read the entire thing.

Disabato: Minnesota was there when his grandma died. Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving now wants to be there for the Gophers.

For Hillcrest running back Mar’Keise Irving, May 9, 2019, is a day he will never forget.

Mostly for the heartache, but also for an opportunity.

It’s the day Irving’s grandmother, Darlene, died after a short illness. She was just 59.

“She lived with us for 16 years of my life,” Mar’Keise said. “She was always there for me when I needed her. She took care of me like she was my own mother.”

Hillcrest coach Morgan Weaver saw the effects Darlene’s death had on his star player.

“He was devastated,” Weaver said. “He lost the rock of the family. It was a tough process.”

At the worst moment of his life, however, Irving experienced a ray of sunshine.

Later that same day, Minnesota running backs coach Kenni Burns offered him a scholarship.

If you’re a person of faith, you will believe it was Darlene’s spirit helping to console her grandson.
Triumph through tragedy.

“I was really sad and then kind of happy,” Mar’Keise said. “Minnesota knew about my grandma’s passing. They said they wanted to make the day special in some way. It definitely made me feel better.”

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

Interesting..

Interesting to see Buddins high school seems to be anti Univ of Michigan. I still think Mich St and maybe PSU are ahead of us for Buddin, but hopefully Michigan takes Colson, and is out of the picture for Buddin AND Hood.

Interesting..

Kinda wonder whether there was a falling out between Michigan and some of the Belleville, MI kids/coaches. 2022 S Myles Rowser who’s from Belleville but is now down at IMG Academy decommitted from Michigan at the end of April which is when Buddin seemed to start shifting his focus to an extent to us and definitely Sparty. There’s also a fair few kids already at Michigan State from Belleville so wonder if the coaches at that HS have just taken to Tucker in the short time he’s been there more than they have Harbaugh. Tucker’s definitely got some momentum right now and they look the favorite for Buddin.

Kinda wonder whether there was a falling out between Michigan and some of the Belleville, MI kids/coaches. 2022 S Myles Rowser who’s from Belleville but is now down at IMG Academy decommitted from Michigan at the end of April which is when Buddin seemed to start shifting his focus to an extent to us and definitely Sparty. There’s also a fair few kids already at Michigan State from Belleville so wonder if the coaches at that HS have just taken to Tucker in the short time he’s been there more than they have Harbaugh. Tucker’s definitely got some momentum right now and they look the favorite for Buddin.

It's a strange thing the world of crooting.

The whole plot line of some coaches falling in or out of favor with schools or the other way is such a strange thing. Like if I'm a player, I give no ***** about if my coach like's some university ... and to some extent even what a friend thinks.

As a player / student you still have to make the best choice for yourself.

But it does seem to be an actual thing the whole drama of people surrounding these kids and silly drama playing a part in everyone's actions.

With the caviat of course that school staff can't officially say anything and players, family, etc are free to spread whatever roomers they like.

Sounds like it. A bunch of theories/stories/rumors in the comments of that article i posted.

It's a strange thing the world of crooting.

The whole plot line of some coaches falling in or out of favor with schools or the other way is such a strange thing. Like if I'm a player, I give no ***** about if my coach like's some university ... and to some extent even what a friend thinks.

As a player / student you still have to make the best choice for yourself.

But it does seem to be an actual thing the whole drama of people surrounding these kids and silly drama playing a part in everyone's actions.

With the caviat of course that school staff can't officially say anything and players, family, etc are free to spread whatever roomers they like.
Yeah but what if you're dirt poor and have to take care of your little siblings, while mom works the night shift at the factory, dad's out of the picture, and coach makes sure you have food, have cleats to play, etc. etc.

Boosters know it, they throw a little taste at coach, ask him to put in a good word for State.

Catch my drift ... things can get more murky in those situations.

Anyone have any insights as to if we have a legit shot with this kid? Listed as cool on 247 and has offers from all over the country. Would be a heck of an addition to the class if we somehow convinced him to hop in the boat.

Anyone have any insights as to if we have a legit shot with this kid? Listed as cool on 247 and has offers from all over the country. Would be a heck of an addition to the class if we somehow convinced him to hop in the boat.
If they got him on a virtual visit I would bet they've been recruiting him hard and he at least has some reciprocated interest. We all know how convincing PJ & co can be with those virtual visits. Wouldn't be surprised if Gophers will be listed as warm on 247 pretty soon.

If they got him on a virtual visit I would bet they've been recruiting him hard and he at least has some reciprocated interest. We all know how convincing PJ & co can be with those virtual visits. Wouldn't be surprised if Gophers will be listed as warm on 247 pretty soon.

I know it's probably been answered before, but do these virtual visits count as an official? Meaning the recruit only has a limited number of them? If so, and he used one on the U, then I would say, there is a good shot.

I know it's probably been answered before, but do these virtual visits count as an official? Meaning the recruit only has a limited number of them? If so, and he used one on the U, then I would say, there is a good shot.
No official. Just like a phone call. Fleck is doing great! We've got a spot in the boat for you Kelvin!

No official. Just like a phone call. Fleck is doing great! We've got a spot in the boat for you Kelvin!
OK, thanks for the clarification. Still a good sign that he'd even go this far.

Man this defensive class could be an absolute monster in the Big Ten. We're still very involved with some seriously talented guys.

There is no "cost" for doing a virtual visit, so I feel less confident that a recruit agreeing to spend a few hours of a day on one with a P5 school means as much as an in-person unofficial visit. But I could be very wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom