Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we still have a good shot at Buddin. And Cameron James as well who is a 4 star by 247 rankings

I don’t like our odds with Buddin. But even with him, I’m saying I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a couple more but close to nine would be shocking.

Ok. But if more 4* players decided they wanted to join this class, is there really someone here that would prefer to turn them away over players in 2017/2018 classes that haven’t contributed (much) yet? I wouldn’t, but I don’t get paid the big bucks.
I’d rather have a four star player over a guy who isn’t going to contribute but it’s not a video game where you can just cut guys. If you handle things wrong you risk your reputation. I’m pretty sure we could’ve taken Verdis Brown a couple years back who was a four star but we couldn’t fit him.

5x20 is still 100, which is more than 85. There has to be turnover every year.

5x20 is still 100, which is more than 85. There has to be turnover every year.

There is turnover every year. But it has to be handled carefully. Most of it happens on its own due to injuries, players retiring, players transferring on their own, players getting kicked of the team for legal issues, team rules, etc.

Ok, so handle it carefully. Convince them that they need to transfer “on their own”. Whatever lets you sleep well at night.

Then sign 25.

Ok, so handle it carefully. Convince them that they need to transfer “on their own”. Whatever lets you sleep well at night.

Then sign 25.
Ok well we have eleven guys graduating by my count. So you pick 14 guys you want to cut right now.

Then sign 25.
Do you ever step back and wonder why the coaching staff hasn’t caught up to your brilliant ideas? Maybe things aren’t as simple as you like to make them.

Alabama seems to sign 25 basically every year, with fluctuations under and above (when they can count scholarships to the previous class) but never below 22 in the past 5 years and their image doesn't seem to be hindered by the attrition... Obviously the numbers still need to work out but I sometimes think the attrition thing gets blown out of proportion.

Alabama seems to sign 25 basically every year, with fluctuations under and above (when they can count scholarships to the previous class) but never below 22 in the past 5 years and their image doesn't seem to be hindered by the attrition... Obviously the numbers still need to work out but I sometimes think the attrition thing gets blown out of proportion.
They also have more guys leaving early and guys with lots of transfer options, and Saban has caught some flack for this at times as players have come out saying they were forced out.

Last edited:

I don’t like our odds with Buddin. But even with him, I’m saying I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a couple more but close to nine would be shocking.

Curious why you don't like our odds with him. I know it is Twitter and what not but the fact that he just tweeted that to Coach Fleck a couple of hours ago feels like a really good sign to me. Obviously he has his pick of a lot of great schools including a couple in his home state but it feels like we have a legit shot of coming away with him.

Curious why you don't like our odds with him. I know it is Twitter and what not but the fact that he just tweeted that to Coach Fleck a couple of hours ago feels like a really good sign to me. Obviously he has his pick of a lot of great schools including a couple in his home state but it feels like we have a legit shot of coming away with him.

The problem is that he's been pretty consistently doing similar things with Michigan, MSU, and Penn State. Basically, I'm not sure how much information value there is in his twitter activity, and other signals are generally pointing elsewhere.

Not sure if posted elsewhere, if we pretty much already knew it was going to happen but Perry verbaled to Louisville

They also have more guys leaving early and guys with lots of transfer options, and Saban has caught some flack for this at times as players have come out saying they were forced out.
Somehow, I’m guessing their fanbase has learned how to live with such accusations.

I think I would be able to handle such accusations against Fleck too, if we were winning the Big Ten West almost every year.

Somehow, I’m guessing their fanbase has learned how to live with such accusations.

I think I would be able to handle such accusations against Fleck too, if we were winning the Big Ten West almost every year.
Watch out for what you sell your soul for.

Another OT that is "warm" for us in the "top target" for 2021:

Didn't realize Barber was that massive. I guess I meant this Reese kid below when I was thinking about it. Looks like Barber is still bigger. I think just getting 2 of these kids would be fine. James is the one we want obviously and then 2 of these lower kids. Lower is a bad term for it but you get it.

Last edited:

Love that we have hit a point where a kid with an 85 - 247 ranking and multiple power 5 offers including Purdue, Indiana, and Wisconsin draws a qualifier of being considered lower ranked. Continues to illustrate the new pool we are swimming in for recruiting. Good times :)
Was thinking the same as I was posting. Awesome

We aren’t recruiting like Alabama. They can plug and play five stars with their method. We still need to develop players.

PJ's recruiting is by far the biggest sports related bright spot for me during this pandemic. It's awesome to see so many kids from all over the country commit to being Gophers without ever visiting campus. I couldn't be more impressed by how PJ and his staff have handled this unusual recruiting season.

Just checked 247 national team rankings
Minnesota #7: 16 commits 87.59 avg. (5) 4*s
Whyiowa #8: 14 commits, 88.24 avg. (3) 4*s
Michican't #9: 12 commits, 89.21 avg. (1) 5*, (4) 4*s

I know this is only regarding rankings and is not the whole story, but If you take in the average ranking and star numbers, Minnesota is doing pretty well. But one thing I think is Michican't is losing it's perch on the top of college football. I think the brand has fallen off in recent years. Still very good/great, but not anything to expect them to be top 5 or 10 in the country anymore. If they land outside the top 25, I don't think anyone will even notice except for the money people: AKA TV and advertising people, ESPN.

Last edited:

The problem is that he's been pretty consistently doing similar things with Michigan, MSU, and Penn State. Basically, I'm not sure how much information value there is in his twitter activity, and other signals are generally pointing elsewhere.
I don't normally dig into Twitter like this, but I'm trying to avoid work and we have no new news, so...
I see no recent, specific tweets from Buddin referencing other schools. I see a tweet where he explains that the Crystal Balls mean nothing:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I love my top 7 there are no favorites right now ? the crystal ball and reporters can stop now ❤</p>&mdash; 4 ? (@jamaribuddin) <a href="">May 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He currently has Crystal Balls for Michigan and MSU. His most recent tweet was Rowing the Boat after the cryptic tweet from Steven Ortiz saying we're "just getting started" #StayTuned.

I'm not saying we will definitely get him, but there seems to be ample reason for optimism.

(Sorry. First swing at embedding.)

Just checked 247 national team rankings
Minnesota #7: 16 commits 87.59 avg. (5) 4*s
Whyiowa #8: 14 commits, 88.24 avg. (3) 4*s
Michican't #9: 12 commits, 89.21 avg. (1) 5*, (4) 4*s

I know this is only regarding rankings and is not the whole story, but If you take in the average ranking and star numbers, Minnesota is doing pretty well. But one thing I think is Michican't is losing it's perch on the top of college football. I think the brand has fallen off in recent years. Still very good/great, but not anything to expect them to be top 5 or 10 in the country anymore. If they land outside the top 25, I don't think anyone will even notice except for the money people: AKA TV and advertising people, ESPN.

Michigan has been trailing Ohio State and Penn State in the West in a lot of ways (including recruiting most years) but by far the biggest issue they have right now is that their all important rivalry with Ohio State looks a lot like ours with Wisconsin in that Ohio State has won 17 of the last 20 matchups.

And while we are seeing a bit of a switch with reason to hope that our trends against Wisconsin are going to start to shift some, Michigan doesn't seem close to reversing the trend against Ohio State anytime soon.

So getting back to the topic at hand. Who's next in the boat? I make an effort not to get too swept up in recruits and classes until they get on campus but there is no denying that it is a lot of fun to see the way this class is shaping up because it is so different then what we have become accustomed to over the years.

I don't normally dig into Twitter like this, but I'm trying to avoid work and we have no new news, so...
I see no recent, specific tweets from Buddin referencing other schools. I see a tweet where he explains that the Crystal Balls mean nothing:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I love my top 7 there are no favorites right now ? the crystal ball and reporters can stop now ❤</p>&mdash; 4 ? (@jamaribuddin) <a href="">May 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He currently has Crystal Balls for Michigan and MSU. His most recent tweet was Rowing the Boat after the cryptic tweet from Steven Ortiz saying we're "just getting started" #StayTuned.

I'm not saying we will definitely get him, but there seems to be ample reason for optimism.

(Sorry. First swing at embedding.)
The forum seems to embed the tweet if you just provide a link, so you shouldn't have to deal with all the embedding code.

Gophers didn’t make the final 5 for Junior Alexander. Not unexpected

Yeah, agreed. Will be shocked if he doesn't stay home at UW. I think we are in pretty solid shape at WR in this class as well.

We aren’t recruiting like Alabama. They can plug and play five stars with their method. We still need to develop players.
Come on now. Plenty of developing and coaching happens at Alabama. Maybe more. Ever tried to coach talented, entitled, spoiled athletes? I'm guessing in my stereotyped analysis the Minnesota recruits are hungrier...more open to receiving coaching. Trust me, the 5 stars need just as much or more coaching. Granted, it may be in different areas, but it's not just plug and play....they need coaching.

Come on now. Plenty of developing and coaching happens at Alabama. Maybe more. Ever tried to coach talented, entitled, spoiled athletes? I'm guessing in my stereotyped analysis the Minnesota recruits are hungrier...more open to receiving coaching. Trust me, the 5 stars need just as much or more coaching. Granted, it may be in different areas, but it's not just plug and play....they need coaching.

Not saying they don’t get coaching or develop. I’m saying they recruit a level of player that can play immediately, we still need kids to get to that third, fourth, fifth year to compete with those young five star talents.

Not saying they don’t get coaching or develop. I’m saying they recruit a level of player that can play immediately, we still need kids to get to that third, fourth, fifth year to compete with those young five star talents.
Correct. But that also means we need those 3/4/5 year guys to be talented enough to contribute. All the coaching in the world can only help so much.

I was saying that there are legitimately guys in the 2017 and 2018 scholarship classes who haven't been significant contributors yet, perhaps outside of special teams. Those are the guys where I was saying this (2020) spring would have been big for them to figure out if they would've had a chance this coming fall or would've been passed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom