Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mere speculation, sure. But a valid point.

Also of note is that WA has one of the best responses of the hard hit states, due to its reaction and early social distancing policies.

Agree. Minnesota and Washington are actually quite similar in the rapidity and breadth of their responses. Washington just got hit earlier, before the threat was fully realized. And, while too morbid to be a recruiting factor, I think that Minnesota might in fact provide a meaningfully safer “epidemiological” environment for some recruits than their home state.

Yes you did, your opinion is that mine is not correct.

It's not possible to call someone out and have no opinion.

You made some wild speculation, pretending to know what’s in the heads of a recruit and his family, regarding Coronavirus. Why didn’t Ortiz stay close to home in Arizona? Doesn’t his family wish to keep him safe from Coronavirus?

You made some wild speculation, pretending to know what’s in the heads of a recruit and his family
If it's speculation, then by definition your assertion "pretend to know" is not valid. I could only be pretending to know something, if I were stating that my claim was not speculation.

Why didn’t Ortiz stay close to home in Arizona? Doesn’t his family wish to keep him safe from Coronavirus?
I'm sure they do, but he did not want to go to AZ or AZ St. I'm glad he decided to pick the Gophers.

Similarly, Alexander may not want to stay home and/or may not want to play for Wash.

But I only speculated that he would be receiving pressure from his family to stay home. Nothing more

Can we please not turn this thread into a corona virus thread. This thread is about 2021 recruits. If we are still worrying about Covid19 to the degree we are now when the 2021 season rolls around we are going to have far bigger concerns on our hands than football and recruiting.

I get that CV19 is at the forefront of everything right now but I really don't think it should be that big of a factor for most recruits when looking at where they are going to go to college in the year 2021 and beyond.

You made some wild speculation, pretending to know what’s in the heads of a recruit and his family, regarding Coronavirus. Why didn’t Ortiz stay close to home in Arizona? Doesn’t his family wish to keep him safe from Coronavirus?

Maybe he is trying to get away from "Valley Fever".

He is one of a growing group of kids who saw how the Gophers outplayed highly ranked Penn State and Auburn. They recognize what Minnesota Football is all about. These kids want to play for winners and who want to get away from home. The Gophers are a good option attractive option for them, their parents and families knowing what the Gophers have done for the kids not just in football.

Last edited:

If it's speculation, then by definition your assertion "pretend to know" is not valid. I could only be pretending to know something, if I were stating that my claim was not speculation.

I'm sure they do, but he did not want to go to AZ or AZ St. I'm glad he decided to pick the Gophers.

Similarly, Alexander may not want to stay home and/or may not want to play for Wash.

But I only speculated that he would be receiving pressure from his family to stay home. Nothing more

Did you consider that by the time Alexander is a freshman in college there will likely be a vaccine, and this will mostly be in the rearview mirror?

Did you consider that by the time Alexander is a freshman in college there will likely be a vaccine, and this will mostly be in the rearview mirror?
But he’s making a decision soon, not then. I repeat: he’s probably getting pressure from family to stay in Seattle. That has nothing to do with anything else. My opinion/guess isn’t worth a hill of beans.

What's up with the Phillip Riley post? He makin' his way up north or what? Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 9.06.52 PM.png

Athan is the best.

He definitely seems 100% on board which is awesome, especially considering he is a pretty highly rated QB. Hopefully his enthusiasm combined with Ortiz is enough to help convince some others to come on board with them.

We’re in his top 7.

6’3” ball hawk safety. 9 ints last year, several of the highlight reel variety.

Watch the tape.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Row The Boat!!! ??<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SkiUMah?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#SkiUMah</a> <a href="https://t.co/dMLsiIVIIr">pic.twitter.com/dMLsiIVIIr</a></p>&mdash; PhilipRiley2021 (@Riley18Philip) <a href="">April 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Must just be what they do for recruits and these guys just like to post 'em. Doesn't hurt to see it though.

What's up with the Phillip Riley post? He makin' his way up north or what?
Nice!

In the future, could you post the link to the Tweet, rather than a picture? So we can click it? Thanks!

Here is Burns' retweet:

this is incredible. really feel like the media has been a massive upgrade in all facets since PJ took over
Fleck certainly understands how to promote and market the program to get people excited, especially recruits. Does a significantly better job of it than the more classic old school football coach types we have generally had.

Fleck certainly understands how to promote and market the program to get people excited, especially recruits. Does a significantly better job of it than the more classic old school football coach types we have generally had.
Yeah - we’ve come a long ways since the brown MN Loafer jerseys.

Yeah - we’ve come a long ways since the brown MN Loafer jerseys.
Big shout out to Steven Ruzic too who I believe has the specific role of recruiting communications. Presume it is Coach Fleck who has had the foresight to employ him.

I have always felt like the key difference between Fleck and most other coaches is that he really likes promoting the program and playing the media game whereas most coaches just want to coach football and do the media stuff because they have to.

You can see it in the way Fleck engages during his press conferences. Most coaches just look like they want to get out of there as soon as possible, but with Fleck you never really get that feeling.

In terms of marketing they have amped things up 1000% from past coaching staffs, really cool to see all the content they are putting out there. We get glimpses of it in terms of recruiting as well but would be really interesting to be a recruit and see what kind of content comes from the U of M as opposed to other places.

You can see it in the way Fleck engages during his press conferences. Most coaches just look like they want to get out of there as soon as possible, but with Fleck you never really get that feeling.

He is even conscious of the minute details such as making sure that he product facing his Coke can or bottle. I think that he could be successful as a football coach even without knowing anything about football --- but I think that it is a huge boon that he appears to have a great system of identifying wide receivers and coaching that position. I don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a link to PJ Fleck at a coaching convention giving a speech of some aspects of how wide receivers are taught in his program.

I have always felt like the key difference between Fleck and most other coaches is that he really likes promoting the program and playing the media game whereas most coaches just want to coach football and do the media stuff because they have to.

In terms of marketing they have amped things up 1000% from past coaching staffs, really cool to see all the content they are putting out there. We get glimpses of it in terms of recruiting as well but would be really interesting to be a recruit and see what kind of content comes from the U of M as opposed to other places.

It's funny how off his naysayers are when they say everything Fleck does is about Fleck.

He is even conscious of the minute details such as making sure that he product facing his Coke can or bottle. I think that he could be successful as a football coach even without knowing anything about football --- but I think that it is a huge boon that he appears to have a great system of identifying wide receivers and coaching that position. I don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a link to PJ Fleck at a coaching convention giving a speech of some aspects of how wide receivers are taught in his program.

Thanks @noamfromm for the link. This trip to Pittsburgh PA to a coaching clinic is a great deal. He is presenting to HS coaches in a recruiting hot bed through his speaking engagements. He is front of people who can influence a recruit to take a close look at the Gophers.

PJ Fleck does cast a wide net.

After Riley posted the Gophers pic his next tweet And now he has one with him in a Hokies uni

per Eleven Warriors:

MINNESOTA LANDS A NATIONAL FOUR-STAR RECRUIT
We talked about it last week, but under PJ Fleck, Minnesota has proven to recruit all areas of the country, and they showed that this week.

Fleck and Co. went into Arizona and beat multiple West Coast schools for four-star cornerback Steven Ortiz out of Desert Edge High School in Goodyear, Ariz.

Ortiz is a big talent for Minnesota, but more importantly, it shows once again that the Gophers can recruit just about anywhere in the country, along with being Midwest-focused. Fleck is building a power at Minnesota, and Ortiz is a piece of that puzzle.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
9tNmUKJ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom