Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
who performed the interview? Because yeah it sounds MN likely but if it was a MN reporter, most of these articles tend to take that kind of a slant

It was Gopher Illustrated but he still said those words.

Updated rankings on 247. Minnesota 2021 class is here:

Ratzlaff #2 in the state, behind Mahlman. Eastern #4, Purcell #7.

"I like Minnesota. They’re a upcoming team that’s going to be running the game in a few years." Dickerson
Is Ratzlaff a guy we have a realistic chance at?

With Ratzlaff it all comes down to if he picks football or hockey. In either case I think the U has a great shot at landing him but if I had to guess based on the little bit I know he will probably be a hockey player.

With Ratzlaff it all comes down to if he picks football or hockey. In either case I think the U has a great shot at landing him but if I had to guess based on the little bit I know he will probably be a hockey player.
If I was him, I'd play hockey.

Ratzlaff is getting mocked in the fourth round of the NHL draft this year, I think he's probably better at hockey but it seems like he likes football more. Ultimately I think he picks hockey.

What's that about 8-9 studs in the boat which is getting full. I think we need a bigger boat or ship for this years class. Make that a battle ship. The Best part is Coach Fleck gonna fill this ship with a few more warriors . We are already set with our current roster to win it this year. Minnesota Gophers on a big row... # RTB - Go Gophers

per KSTP:

4-star Class of 2021 defensive back Steven Ortiz Jr. talks to our Darren 'Doogie' Wolfson about committing to the Gophers. He's currently a junior at Desert Edge High School in Arizona.

Ortiz, who is 6-feet and 175-pounds, picked the Gophers over other offers from Oregon, Washington, Penn State, Mississippi State, Washington State, Arizona, and more Power-5 programs.

While recruiting Ortiz, the Gophers compared him to defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr., who's expected to be a top-40 pick in next week's NFL Draft.

Go Gophers!!

Either Rivals or ESPN got the memo; Phillip Riley is now a composite 4-star. We're seriously in the mix for 6-9 (depending on if you count Buddin and the Green brothers) in addition to the 2 that are already in the boat!

The 2021 class could theoretically triple the number of composite 4-stars on the roster, and doubling seems like a reasonable target.

Agree, chances for a long career are far greater in hockey than they are in football.
I also think relative to his peers, he's a much better hockey player than football player.

MN picked up a Crystal Ball prediction this morning for Alexander.

Kind of reminds me of D'vondre Campbell. Similar rating, same height, seems to move well with good speed. Will need to add weight and strength, but Campbell had time in the juco ranks to do that. Campbell's put together a nice NFL career, hopefully D'Marion can do the same.

Either Rivals or ESPN got the memo; Phillip Riley is now a composite 4-star. We're seriously in the mix for 6-9 (depending on if you count Buddin and the Green brothers) in addition to the 2 that are already in the boat!

The 2021 class could theoretically triple the number of composite 4-stars on the roster, and doubling seems like a reasonable target.
We have six 4-star guys on the roster: Bateman, Jackson, Dunlap, Faalele, Brown and St. Juste (2 are coming in June). I doubt we double that but think we can easily have the highest number of 4-stars in this class than any other.

Kind of reminds me of D'vondre Campbell. Similar rating, same height, seems to move well with good speed. Will need to add weight and strength, but Campbell had time in the juco ranks to do that. Campbell's put together a nice NFL career, hopefully D'Marion can do the same.
Alexander is being recruited as a rush DE, so he probably won't end up anything like Campbell.

An offer from Patterson and Ruhle when he was still at Baylor speaks to Alexander’s talent and upside. Definitely a bit of a project but in watching his junior highlights, he reminds me a bit of Boye in HS. Skinny lanky athletic kid that could do with a couple years in the S&C program but has the chance to be really something as an upperclassman with his athletic traits. There’s rightfully a lot of hype about the direction the offense is headed but as we get into years 4 and 5 with Fleck, the defense is going to be littered with guys that are kinda prototypical freak athletes at their positions. Really pumped to see what Boye, Ezi, Oliver, Nubin and so on look like headed into the new season. Should be a ton of size and speed on that side of the ball. We keep stacking classes filled with guys like this and there’s no reason we can’t compete at the highest level. Gone are the days of us throwing Julian Huff out there at rush end or 200 pound soaking wet Tai’yon Devers as a freshman. A lot to be excited about with the defense.

Am I drinking the kool aid a bit? Probably lol but why not?

Alexander is being recruited as a rush DE, so he probably won't end up anything like Campbell.
Interesting, he looked like he was athletic enough to play in space. I guess he is similar size to Jah Joyner.

Not sure if it has been posted here but looks Tilman, a high 3* DE from Texas put us in his top 8. We definitely seem to be in the running for more higher end talent than has been the case in previous years. Pretty clear we are seeing the expected bump that comes with going 11-2 and opening a lot of eyes around the country.

Just noticed that we are in the final 3 warm schools for Avante Dickerson (very high 4-star CB from Omaha) along with Oregon and Nebraska. Anyone know if he made some kind of indication these are his final 3 or is this just 247's projection of the situation?

Either way, some interesting notes on him:

-- Rod Chance, who was previously on our staff as CB/DB coach, is his lead recruiter on Oregon. So he definitely knows and is probably using some of PJ's playbook.

-- It's crazy that we offered him before Nebraska did. We offered back in January 2019 and NEB did in March 2019.

-- Would Dickerson be the highest-rated recruit we ever landed in the internet era? By offers he definitely has a stronger list than Coughlin did, but the only recruit I could think who might have had a higher composite number would have been Jeff Jones. EDIT: I guess Jeff Jones was slightly higher

Last edited:

Just noticed that we are in the final 3 warm schools for Avante Dickerson (very high 4-star CB from Omaha) along with Oregon and Nebraska. Anyone know if he made some kind of indication these are his final 3 or is this just 247's projection of the situation?

Either way, some interesting notes on him:

-- Rod Chance, who was previously on our staff as CB/DB coach, is his lead recruiter on Oregon. So he definitely knows and is probably using some of PJ's playbook.

-- It's crazy that we offered him before Nebraska did. We offered back in January 2019 and NEB did in March 2019.

-- Would Dickerson be the highest-rated recruit we ever landed in the internet era? By offers he definitely has a stronger list than Coughlin did, but the only recruit I could think who might have had a higher composite number would have been Jeff Jones. EDIT: I guess Jeff Jones was slightly higher

Oregon was recruiting Dickerson before Chance go there. Their old DB coach Donte Williams left for USC so USC appears to be passing up Oregon due to previous relationship with DB coach. The kid also really likes LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom