Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTB Logan Purcell!

When I first saw the 80 rating, I was skeptical. Then I watched his tape. He’s really raw at OT, but very athletic....disruptive on defense, and a decent punter. His basketball highlights even show good athleticism and speed for a big man. This is the kind of kid who would probably go to one of the Dakotas and develop into an NFL prospect if we passed on him.

Glad to see PJ Fleck pluck a couple of instate commitments early in Eastern and Purcell. Purcell although rated currently as a low three star could be a real sleeper who will thrive in development.

I have to think that the 2021 recruiting class will be a lot smaller unless PJ has more difficult conversations.

Last edited:

Welcome Logan! Plow a hole for the running backs!

Looks like Sam Jackson officially opened up his recruiting and has decommited. Not totally shocked since he was always considered a soft verbal. Maybe we can get him back in the boat later.

Wasn't there talk about him possibly wanting to play QB in college? Might be holding out for an option to do that. Maybe he will come back into the fold again at some point down the line.

Wasn't there talk about him possibly wanting to play QB in college? Might be holding out for an option to do that. Maybe he will come back into the fold again at some point down the line.
He desperately wants to play QB, but AFAIK hasn't received an offer to play it yet.

He desperately wants to play QB, but AFAIK hasn't received an offer to play it yet.

Guess it will depend on how high profile of a school he wants to go to. Can't imagine a lot of power 5 schools will be willing to give him a look at QB based on what I have seen. But there would probably be some lower level FBS schools that might.

When I first saw the 80 rating, I was skeptical. Then I watched his tape. He’s really raw at OT, but very athletic....disruptive on defense, and a decent punter. His basketball highlights even show good athleticism and speed for a big man. This is the kind of kid who would probably go to one of the Dakotas and develop into an NFL prospect if we passed on him.

His coach said in the 247 article that he's gained 25 pounds (needs to gain more) and has only been playing OT for 1 year.

Glad to see PJ Fleck pluck a couple of instate commitments early in Eastern and Purcell. Purcell although rated currently as a low three star could be a real sleeper who will thrive in development.

I have to think that the 2021 recruiting class will be a lot smaller unless PJ has more difficult conversations.

I think anyone who won't have the opportunity to see the field will be having difficult conversations. As his classes get better every year, he'll continue to have them as better athletes pass those in the classes before them.

I think anyone who won't have the opportunity to see the field will be having difficult conversations. As his classes get better every year, he'll continue to have them as better athletes pass those in the classes before them.
Want to win a national title? There will always be difficult conversations. As the coach has said early last season. He is trying to out recruit current players.

His coach said in the 247 article that he's gained 25 pounds (needs to gain more) and has only been playing OT for 1 year.

Yeah, it’s not often someone converts from QB to OT.

Brian O’Neill was in a similar situation. Same height, and only 235 pounds. Very athletic, converted from TE Only .81 composite rating. Pitt was his only decent offer.

If this kid can gain enough weight, I fell good about his long term potential.

By the way...In that 247 article, his coach said he recently started getting a lot of calls from Big Ten and Big 12 teams about Logan. He was going to get more P5 offers. Plus, it sounds like he’s going to get a rating bump to the 85-88 range based on his Junior film.

By the way...In that 247 article, his coach said he recently started getting a lot of calls from Big Ten and Big 12 teams about Logan. He was going to get more P5 offers. Plus, it sounds like he’s going to get a rating bump to the 85-88 range based on his Junior film.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out but this definitely feels like getting in early on a guy who is going to blow up.

I'm not surprised by this.

He looks really athletic - - like if we had signed him as DE, I would have thought it made sense. He will likely get taller too.

It'll be exciting to see if they can get him up to 300-325 (6'9" 325 lbs).

I'm hoping we take about 5 OL this cycle. Purcell seems like a great start.

Purcell wants to be a Gopher and he wants to win. I am glad that the Gophers are paying attention to small town Minnesota. They will find hidden gems in their own backyard before Iowa and Wisconsin does.

Next year will be the first year when the roster will be entirely Fleck recruits.

The talent composite was 63 in his first year in 2017. In 2019, it was 46th. It'll be higher next year since this class is looking pretty good.

If he has a few more successful seasons, maybe he can get the composite up to about #35. That's probably about the peak for Gopher football, given our location and lack of success for about 50 years before Fleck.

Next year will be the first year when the roster will be entirely Fleck recruits.

The talent composite was 63 in his first year in 2017. In 2019, it was 46th. It'll be higher next year since this class is looking pretty good.

If he has a few more successful seasons, maybe he can get the composite up to about #35. That's probably about the peak for Gopher football, given our location and lack of success for about 50 years before Fleck.
Nebraska and Maryland are both in the mid 20s, if we are successful for 4-5 years we likely can make the leap into that range.

I never get how Nebraska and Maryland get such high rated recruiting classes but every year are not very good.

I do. Recruiting is only have the battle. The other half is good coaching. Sure you need both great coaching and great recruiting to compete at the Alabama/LSU/Ohio State/Clemson level. But great coaching and alright recruiting beats good recruiting and crappy coaching any time. And that's why MN has had more recent success than Maryland and Nebraska.

There will actually be several Claeys recruits still on the roster next year - Schlueter, Olson, Green, Thomas, Kieft, Durr, and Howard.

Gophers offer Illinois RB Trenten Howland following Junior Day
ByRYAN BURNS Jan 26, 7:29 PM

1580358726123.png

"Today’s experience was not what I had expected coming in," 2021 Illinois running back Trenten Howland said to GopherIllustrated. "When I first arrived at the University they went over the basics of how it is being a Gopher and if you come to the school how easily you will fit in and connect with the coaching staff. By just being there today, I feel like I will fit in just fine with them. They also showed me their weight room, nutrition facilities, film/meeting rooms, locker rooms, recovery/training rooms and the whole football facility where most of the players are at daily."

1580358831697.png
Trenten Howland
  • Joliet, IL (Joliet West)
  • ATH
  • 6-2
  • CLASS OF 21

247Sports Composite 0.8800
  • NATL. NA
  • ATH NA
  • IL NA
"The three Minnesota coaches I talked with most today were head coach PJ Fleck, running back coach Kenni Burns and my recruiting coach Brian Callahan," Howland told GopherIllustrated. "Coach Burns explained to me how good of a player I am and how much more I will improve. Not just as a football player at the University of Minnesota, but how I will also be developed as a young adult into a man. He also explained to me why being a Gopher would be the best fit for me."

Meeting with the head coach was also a highlight for the Illinois running back.

"Coach Fleck discussed with me how he is as a head coach and a person. He kept everything straight forward with me told me what will happened if I was to commit and how he would be basically a second father in a new home. He would take his time to help develop me into a new player/person. He wants me to be the greatest player I can be. We also talked about how good he can help me be outside of football and around in the community. He decided to give me the offer because he said he hears nothing but good things about me and how I carry myself as a person. They offered me strictly as a running back. He knows I’m a outstanding football player, but what got his attention was how humble I am and how I treat myself and others with respect. He also feels I can be a great fit for there team and be that “dude” that will come in and do great things."

Minnesota's now positioned themselves well for the rising running back.

"My dad and sister were with on the visit and they flat out loved it. They were shocked of how unbelievable it was. The highlight for me today was meeting with Coach Fleck. He really caught my attention of how it would be if I was to attend the program. Him explaining how honest he is and how he will go out his way to do anything for the players and staff it made me think of how good it would be for me to call this place family with him being my head coach behind it. After seeing things and earning an offer, I feel like I would fit perfectly at Minnesota and it's definitely the school that has my most interest now. I'll be visiting Michigan State, Iowa and Eastern Michigan soon though."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom