Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't happen right away but it will be exciting if local kids will have the Gophers at the top of the list. Love for it to be like Wisconsin and Iowa where all the best kids want the in state offer and stay home. I know many posting here don't care if the kids local or not, I'm of the opposite view. All things being equal give me the local kid over a kid from somewhere else, just hate local kids going to a rival and helping them beat the Gophers...salt meet wound! On the other hand I'm of the ilk that I want kids that want to be Gophers. If you are local and WANT to be a Gopher I definitely like that player more. That's you Carter Coughlin and Tyler Johnson! Sounds like this Shakopee kid is in that category, welcome!
I agree with this. We just need to have a successful and exciting program over the course of a few years to make this happen. Gopher sports have been so “blah” for many years. If we can have the kind of excitement we experienced this year I believe a lot more kids will stay home.

Highlights of Bastian Swinney v. Deven Eastern. Earlier in the game, Swinney was at RT, but they moved him to the left side, probably to deal with Eastern. They locked horns in the last three plays in the highlight video. In each case, Eastern got the better of Swinney, fighting off a block to make the tackle.

Thanks for posting that. Doesn't surprise me, frankly.

Lot of these star OL in high school ... are just head and sholders taller, larger, and stronger than the DL they play against. They use poor technique, don't use their hands, waist bend, etc. They just maul the other guy.

Then suddenly in the playoffs you come across a legit D1 DL and its ... oops! Guy went right around me, using his hands to shed me like a sack of potatoes!

Highlights of Bastian Swinney v. Deven Eastern. Earlier in the game, Swinney was at RT, but they moved him to the left side, probably to deal with Eastern. They locked horns in the last three plays in the highlight video. In each case, Eastern got the better of Swinney, fighting off a block to make the tackle.

Dang, I know it's a highlight tape but he looks really impressive for a junior. Super high motor, runs well and pursues the whole field, plays low and gets huge push, athletic enough to get off cut blocks and separate after contact. He's gonna get a lot more attention in the near future, I guarantee it.

Thanks for posting that. Doesn't surprise me, frankly.

Lot of these star OL in high school ... are just head and sholders taller, larger, and stronger than the DL they play against. They use poor technique, don't use their hands, waist bend, etc. They just maul the other guy.

Then suddenly in the playoffs you come across a legit D1 DL and its ... oops! Guy went right around me, using his hands to shed me like a sack of potatoes!

Just to be fair, I checked out Swinney’s highlight video from the same game to see if he got the better of Eastern on any plays. If he did, they aren’t in this video. He included only three plays, with him on the right side. Those plays were run away from Eastern. Swinney is #77.

Dang, I know it's a highlight tape but he looks really impressive for a junior. Super high motor, runs well and pursues the whole field, plays low and gets huge push, athletic enough to get off cut blocks and separate after contact. He's gonna get a lot more attention in the near future, I guarantee it.
Hopefully the early commit sticks, like it did for Bateman if blue bloods try to come swimming in our pool!

Hopefully the early commit sticks, like it did for Bateman if blue bloods try to come swimming in our pool!

Oh I think it will stick. He adores his mom, wants her to come to his games, and he loves the U.

This kid has a good mentor in Mike Morris. He is going to be an even bigger monster on the Gophers DL.

Oh I think it will stick. He adores his mom, wants her to come to his games, and he loves the U.

This kid has a good mentor in Mike Morris. He is going to be an even bigger monster on the Gophers DL.
Sounds great to me. Seems like a guy that Iowa or Wisconsin would normally love to steal from us.

“Cal, Berkeley has always been my dream school, ever since I was little......”
48Pp3Kc.png

When you stop a train you can't stop it on a dime. Like wise many of these kids started to be attached to other schools at a young age as the Gophers weren't doing so well. Hopefully now the younger ones will start going to Gopher games and follow the success of the Gophers and become a Gopher eventually.

Eastern posted a new highlight video today. His and Swinney’s reported height and weight are about the same. Watching the Edina-Shakopee highlights I posted yesterday, Eastern looks bigger. He’s going to be a beast.

Thanks for the video link. Hate to be a dick, but I'm not sure the Edina kid gets an offer from the Gophs based on that. He needs to improve explosiveness off the snap and leverage.

Thanks for the video link. Hate to be a dick, but I'm not sure the Edina kid gets an offer from the Gophs based on that. He needs to improve explosiveness off the snap and leverage.

I don't think there is a high school kid in the country outside of maybe the top 1% who doesn't have lots of things in their game to work on once they get to college. All about raw potential.

He visited here in October and still doesn’t have an offer, so.....

Swinney’s other highlight videos mostly contain clips of him pancaking badly overmatched and undersized kids.

We seem to want really tall o linemen

Eastern posted a new highlight video today. His and Swinney’s reported height and weight are about the same. Watching the Edina-Shakopee highlights I posted yesterday, Eastern looks bigger. He’s going to be a beast.

Yup, he's a monster. I posted some of what was obvious from that Edina tape above, and this confirms it. He's got all the makings of an absolute stud. High motor, chases everything down, quick enough to beat a block at the snap, but even when he doesn't he plays with excellent pad level, gets big push, and easily separates from even large OL. I know it's just highlights, but I really like this kid's film.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. He plays with good technique and pad level for a HS jr, but he's not very explosive. He's not a "fast twitch" type of player and will need to work a lot on his first couple steps and footwork.

Yup, he's a monster. I posted some of what was obvious from that Edina tape above, and this confirms it. He's got all the makings of an absolute stud. High motor, chases everything down, quick enough to beat a block at the snap, but even when he doesn't he plays with excellent pad level, gets big push, and easily separates from even large OL. I know it's just highlights, but I really like this kid's film.
Yeah he seems like he could be an elite all-around DE. Hopefully we can hang on to him. I could see him ending up a 4-star once scouts evaluate.

Yeah he seems like he could be an elite all-around DE. Hopefully we can hang on to him. I could see him ending up a 4-star once scouts evaluate.

Will they wait until he attends a camp to do their evaluation, or will they attempt a preliminary evaluation based on those highlight videos?

Will they wait until he attends a camp to do their evaluation, or will they attempt a preliminary evaluation based on those highlight videos?
I have no idea. I am not a recruitnik. He looks like a force and has great size & athleticism based on what I see.

Anyone have any insight on the town of Naperville, Illinois. Seems like a lot of Div. 1 talent comes out of that town. We have the soft commit for 2021. Also seems to be a hotbed for volleyball.

Anyone have any insight on the town of Naperville, Illinois. Seems like a lot of Div. 1 talent comes out of that town. We have the soft commit for 2021. Also seems to be a hotbed for volleyball.
It's one of the wealthier suburbs of Chicago, so no real surprise there.

As far as the guys we have right now, I was curious as to if anyone knows the spot we're recruiting Jackson for? plays QB and looks dynamic at that spot, but had heard we were viewing Kaliakmanis as the only QB we were taking. Is Jackson slotted as a WR? could see him looking for other options if he wants to play QB at the next level is why I'm asking

Then as far as targets, I see that Seth's brothers are in the 2021 class and picked up crystal balls to MN. Any other guys who have picked up steam?

I agree here. In my opinion he is a bit slow and pad level a bit too high. A lot to improve on but definitely has high upside as he has a nice frame and appears to be very strong. Those are the things you can't really teach. I think he will be more of an interior lineman at the college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom