Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
This statement is so wrong in so many ways. Maybe that's the way it is for your kid at Totino Grace, but I know many high school coaches of all sports (including football) and many are teachers too. Those coach/teachers know those kids better than they normally would know their students. They follow up with the kids all throughout the school year. Having your kid in school sports, especially if they are at risk academically, is one of the best things you can do.
This statement is so wrong in so many ways. Maybe that's the way it is for your kid at Totino Grace, but I know many high school coaches of all sports (including football) and many are teachers too. Those coach/teachers know those kids better than they normally would know their students. They follow up with the kids all throughout the school year. Having your kid in school sports, especially if they are at risk academically, is one of the best things you can do.
Who are you?

This person must be some kind of freak, every time I write about Minnesota football and my experience as a player some person asks me if I have a kid that plays football? Strange because I go to the U of MN, freak.

I'm pretty sure 99% of people on here assume you're that kid from TG's dad since your first 20 posts were all about him.

Can someone start a new thread with Tommyboy where he can argue with everyone about Minnesota HS football and why it doesn't turn out more D1 players? This has really polluted the 2021 recruiting thread - and that is saying something during COVID.

Can someone start a new thread with Tommyboy where he can argue with everyone about Minnesota HS football and why it doesn't turn out more D1 players? This has really polluted the 2021 recruiting thread - and that is saying something during COVID.
Lets get back on track with who is still viable, what schools have moved up and where we rank in the Big 10.

I'm pretty sure 99% of people on here assume you're that kid from TG's dad since your first 20 posts were all about him.
Kind of sounds like a dad too, calling the guy a freak. Idk, doesn’t sound very 20 year old like lol

I wish Minnesota was the school of choice for all Minnesota kids, but it is not. I wish Minnesota produced more top D1 talent, it does not. I wish we could accurately predict how every 2* or low 3* athlete in MN would develop, but we cannot. This is not what this thread is about. This thread is about who MN is recruiting and what are the chances of landing said player.

It is not about who you wish they were recruiting. Perhaps we need a "all things 2021 recruits we should be recruiting thread" for every year, so we can avoid the same conversation on a yearly basis. I actually don't mind reading about MN kids and who is recruiting them and who is not. I just hate it filling up this thread because when I come to it I want to read actually recruiting news for the Minnesota Gophers or B1G TEN.

On another note, not sure if anyone else noticed, but it seems like we are hitting Mississippi rather hard the last few weeks. I've seen at least 4-5 new offers for 2021 from the state. Not sure if one of our new coaches has connections there or if it's just a new focus for us, but I don't recall seeing this many Mississippi offers in recent years

On another note, not sure if anyone else noticed, but it seems like we are hitting Mississippi rather hard the last few weeks. I've seen at least 4-5 new offers for 2021 from the state. Not sure if one of our new coaches has connections there or if it's just a new focus for us, but I don't recall seeing this many Mississippi offers in recent years

During the Kill era we hit Mississippi/Alabama a bit more. Mississippi has some of the better juco programs and Fleck has been going to the jucos less often than past coaches we've had. Seems like Fleck has preferred to fill holes with grad transfers, and he's had very good results with that method.

I know Miss has an extensive JUCO football system, similar to Kansas.

Would be nice if we had an "anchor player" already here, to help with recruiting players from that state. Like we have Bateman and other Georgia players already here.

During the Kill era we hit Mississippi/Alabama a bit more. Mississippi has some of the better juco programs and Fleck has been going to the jucos less often than past coaches we've had. Seems like Fleck has preferred to fill holes with grad transfers, and he's had very good results with that method.

Yep, I remember Damien Wilson very well from Miss JUCO. I guess what caught my attention is that we've also offered a number of Mississippi HS kids recently as well. I can't remember the last time we had a kid who came straight from the MS HS ranks on our squad

Yep, I remember Damien Wilson very well from Miss JUCO. I guess what caught my attention is that we've also offered a number of Mississippi HS kids recently as well. I can't remember the last time we had a kid who came straight from the MS HS ranks on our squad
Would be interesting to see what P5 programs that Miss HS players have signed with over the last X seasons. Not sure if that info is easily available.

Would be interesting to see what P5 programs that Miss HS players have signed with over the last X seasons. Not sure if that info is easily available.

The other piece that is interesting in a state like Mississippi (also goes for parts of Alabama and South Georgia) is that the public schools - in general - are so bad that, sadly, tons of good HS athletes down there have no chance of qualifying for the NCAA out of high school. They may receive "passing grades" in their schools, but they're so ill-educated/prepared for an ACT or SAT that JUCO is their only chance. This is also very likely a huge driving force behind why JUCO football is so big in Mississippi.

The other piece that is interesting in a state like Mississippi (also goes for parts of Alabama and South Georgia) is that the public schools - in general - are so bad that, sadly, tons of good HS athletes down there have no chance of qualifying for the NCAA out of high school. They may receive "passing grades" in their schools, but they're so ill-educated/prepared for an ACT or SAT that JUCO is their only chance. This is also very likely a huge driving force behind why JUCO football is so big in Mississippi.
Good point.

I assume to play in DI, the NCAA still makes high school students achieve a minimum SAT/ACT score?

Some colleges notably have stopped requiring that in order to apply. I wonder if the NCAA would consider doing the same.

Good point.

I assume to play in DI, the NCAA still makes high school students achieve a minimum SAT/ACT score?

Some colleges notably have stopped requiring that in order to apply. I wonder if the NCAA would consider doing the same.

Yep, they do. Basically it's a mix of core courses required for all students and then the lower your GPA is in those core courses, the higher SAT or ACT you need to score.

)

We'll pause from our regular scheduled programming to bring you this brief interruption of Tommy and Word calling each other names. We'll be back in a moment.
Let the record show I have not called anyone names.

Can we please keep this strictly to 2021 recruiting only please. Take this to PRIVATE MESSAGES we have this feature under messages. Or to we need to get the Gopherhole staff in this thread.

Colorado ties now? It is fun to see the staff finding and going after kids from more unfamiliar states.

Does anyone know the angle on Justin Johnson. RB out of Illinois? Would we take another 4 star back in the same class????

Colorado ties now? It is fun to see the staff finding and going after kids from more unfamiliar states.
Only nice thing about getting new coaches that I see, is that you pick up new areas to recruit and keep hopefully the bridges you built with the coaches that left. I would think Fleck knows that and he'll travel to the new places to take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom