Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why uis there so much angst about kids from the state ! All i care about is getting kids that form a tean that wins, i could care less where they are from.
Wild guess: Gopher fans are very proud of the state and being Minnesotans. So they get irked when a kid who has grown up his whole life in the state (and usually the metro), benefited from all the state offers in way of high quality education and public amenities, decides he wants to go elsewhere.

You actually make a somewhat valid point at the end but you can't fault the Gophers for not taking a flyer on home state guys who may or may not be able to handle facing better competition when they can go out and find guys in other states that are playing against much tougher competition on a week in week out basis.

Minnesota high school football is simply not very good when compared to the football hot beds around the country. That isn't to say there are not some talented players in this state but the high end is very very limited.

The U recruits a lot of guys from Minnesota and many of them end up walking on. You may not feel that is good enough but the reality is that the state of high school football in Minnesota is not great and that isn't the Universities fault.
The largest and wealthiest schools in the metro can compete with all but the most elite programs in the country.

Those programs are usually private schools that have national reputations for actively bringing in top talent, sometimes from across the country.

The largest and wealthiest schools in the metro can compete with all but the most elite programs in the country.

Those programs are usually private schools that have national reputations for actively bringing in top talent, sometimes from across the country.

speed is lacking in MN football. I would agree that in some positions MN puts out quality product, but I would argue it is thin at skill positions (WR, RB, QB, CB, S, etc)

Well., Minnesota was not a basketball state in the past either. It is not lack of talent, it is lack of training and attention. Now we have our basketball kids going to top programs every year, they are playing basketball year around, coaches our making a living promoting kids and using media sites to promote our kids.

Singer, one of our top guys in the state, was tired of working and training without gaining ground with these big programs. He states he is leaving, the Tribune does a big article, his trainer hooks him up on a team in Arizona and already is being marketed in Arizona as one of the top players in the state. His coach will promote his abilities and his trainer will get him connected with the right people. Football in Arizona is what Hockey is in Minnesota. There is no promotion of our top players. What is practicing once a week with your team until football starts 1-2 weeks before the season really going to do for a kid who wants to play at the top level. Football is the ultimate team sport, 95% of most of these High school players are playing basketball during the football season.

Minnesota has plenty talent.

Well., Minnesota was not a basketball state in the past either. It is not lack of talent, it is lack of training and attention. Now we have our basketball kids going to top programs every year, they are playing basketball year around, coaches our making a living promoting kids and using media sites to promote our kids.

Singer, one of our top guys in the state, was tired of working and training without gaining ground with these big programs. He states he is leaving, the Tribune does a big article, his trainer hooks him up on a team in Arizona and already is being marketed in Arizona as one of the top players in the state. His coach will promote his abilities and his trainer will get him connected with the right people. Football in Arizona is what Hockey is in Minnesota. There is no promotion of our top players. What is practicing once a week with your team until football starts 1-2 weeks before the season really going to do for a kid who wants to play at the top level. Football is the ultimate team sport, 95% of most of these High school players are playing basketball during the football season.

Whose job is it to market the players? Certainly not the Gophers.

The people that are attempting are the trainers such as the one Singer is working with. It should be the coaches and programs that are earning one dollar a day that are doing it. In other states some of these coaches are paid well. Some programs have staff members promoting their athletes as their primary job.

The people that are attempting are the trainers such as the one Singer is working with. It should be the coaches and programs that are earning one dollar a day that are doing it. In other states some of these coaches are paid well. Some programs have staff members promoting their athletes as their primary job.
These two guys are from the suburbs. If they have the talent they will be found and recruited. It’s not like they are from Grand Meadow or Argyle or Sleepy Eye where players can be overlooked.

But as Gopheraschells was trying to get at, it isn't the Gopher's job to train and promote these instate kids to get them to the point where they are legit division one talents. Up until recently most of your shots have been directed at the college team for the way they are handling in-state recruits.

Why would the Gophers want to promote these kids? It clearly would tip off our competition for recruits. Offer them camp visits is one thing, but to tout them tip them off to others is another.

Interesting, Fields already has offers from Minnesota, USC, Texas and West Virginia. He’d be a nice pickup.

***edit to add UCLA & Boise State

Last edited:

Not a top 15 state for producing top talent. Look at how few of the top thousand we have in any given year.

If that’s the case, I wonder why he didn’t declare after this past season?
Averaged about 95 tackles a season his first 3 years. Would be a great addition.

Three year starter, as a true freshman after enrolling early for spring ball in 2017. Seems like a slam dunk.

One year of eligibility...not Fleck's stated preference with transfers but definitely would fill a gap.
Also, since we have 24 new scholarship players enrolled for 2020, this would guarantee JDS couldn't join this year. For whatever it's worth

From Ryan Burns on the 247 Premium Board, which is free to view today. Maybe not 2021 related, but 🤷‍♂️

"Let's take a trip down memory lane with former Benilde-St Margaret offensive lineman Eric Wilson. Back in 2016, Wilson chose Harvard over Minnesota (Claeys was the coach at the time), and when Fleck was hired just before National Signing Day, he tried to flip Wilson, but he stuck with the Crimson.

Fast forward to today, with no fall season for the Ivy League, Wilson entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, but not for the 2020 season, for the 2021 fall season as he'll graduate next spring from Harvard.

In his last two seasons at Harvard, Wilson played in all 20 games and was second-team Ivy League.

I expect Wilson to have a bevy of choices, but I expect the Gophers to push HARD to land the former Minnesota lineman, as they'll graduate Conner Olson after this season, and have an opening on the interior of their offensive line for 2021."

These two guys are from the suburbs. If they have the talent they will be found and recruited. It’s not like they are from Grand Meadow or Argyle or Sleepy Eye where players can be overlooked.
What other football program in the state other then EP has a program that is developing football players for the next level on a consistent basis? Most coaches are teachers that hardly know the kids. 2-3 months and they move on to the next season, they collect their 2-4 thousands dollars and take their family on a summer vacation to Wally World.

We could REALLY use this kid. It's gonna be tough with many major competitors around the country making a run at him.

Remember, we are an appealing program now. I say we are in the running for anyone that is available. Listen PJ Fleck can do it. I will never underestimate what he is capable of doing. We will get the kids we need to be winners and competitive at the highest level year over year.

What other football program in the state other then EP has a program that is developing football players for the next level on a consistent basis? Most coaches are teachers that hardly know the kids. 2-3 months and they move on to the next season, they collect their 2-4 thousands dollars and take their family on a summer vacation to Wally World.
I would put CDH in this category.

Wouldn’t the coaches know the kids more if they are also teachers? Mike Grant is also a teacher. This how 95% of programs across the country work, not just Minnesota. And yes I realize how things are in places like Texas, but that is not the norm.

Most coaches are teachers that hardly know the kids. 2-3 months and they move on to the next season, they collect their 2-4 thousands dollars and take their family on a summer vacation to Wally World.
This statement is so wrong in so many ways. Maybe that's the way it is for your kid at Totino Grace, but I know many high school coaches of all sports (including football) and many are teachers too. Those coach/teachers know those kids better than they normally would know their students. They follow up with the kids all throughout the school year. Having your kid in school sports, especially if they are at risk academically, is one of the best things you can do.

This statement is so wrong in so many ways. Maybe that's the way it is for your kid at Totino Grace, but I know many high school coaches of all sports (including football) and many are teachers too. Those coach/teachers know those kids better than they normally would know their students. They follow up with the kids all throughout the school year. Having your kid in school sports, especially if they are at risk academically, is one of the best things you can do.
I think he is probably referring to the athletics at Sartell which is where his kid went before transferring.

I think he is probably referring to the athletics at Sartell which is where his kid went before transferring.
I don't know anyone at Sartell, but I'm still skeptical that the teacher-coaches don't know the kids there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom