Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is we need to be sure we have a QB that can get our WRs the ball. You could have the greatest WRs in the world, but with a bad QB, bad line, etc. it won’t matter.

The thing is we need to be sure we have a QB that can get our WRs the ball. You could have the greatest WRs in the world, but with a bad QB, bad line, etc. it won’t matter.

As strange as this is to say, in college football, I think it's the other way around. If you have really good WRs, pretty much any solid QB can look fantastic. I think this is so true in the college game because they get so open and can continuously win one-on-ones. In the NFL, regardless of how good the WR is, it's going to be tight window.

Makes perfect sense to me. Anyone disagree? Do agree with Bob's statement as well.

Last edited:

Looks like the Gophers have some interested in Landon Samson who is a 2022 recruit (according to 247). He has no rankings at this time but maybe another WR from Southlake Carroll to keep an eye on.
And he runs a 4.45 forty!!! 👀

PSA: Brady Boyd is absolutely going crazy right now. Doing this against Texas 6A competition as well in their regional championship game (Texas 6A is the highest level of HS football in the entire country). I truly think he's going to be one of the phenomenal gopher receivers when all is said and done.

Also, Quinn Ewers, his QB, is probably going to lead OSU to a couple championships. Highest rated recruit ever by all 3 major ranking services.
<a href="">January 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Is that Smoke Monday getting beat again?

As strange as this is to say, in college football, I think it's the other way around. If you have really good WRs, pretty much any solid QB can look fantastic. I think this is so true in the college game because they get so open and can continuously win one-on-ones. In the NFL, regardless of how good the WR is, it's going to be tight window.
I tend to agree with you. Look at the windows a college QB must throw into generally speaking. Obviously against the best defenses the windows get smaller, but for the most part Devonta Smith is catching balls with several yards space or will win his 1 on 1 in traffic (this is incredibly similar to what we were spoiled with last year with TJ and Bateman). The QB has to have some degree of competence, but a stud WR is going to make him look a hell of a lot better more so than the opposite pairing

Truth

I think the wr crop in this class is being slept on since we didn’t get a four star, but Brockington and Boyd look legit. I’m excited to see what McGill develops into as well, him and the TAMU transfer are big kids.
Boyd seems to have all the physical tools and stats of a top-tier receiver recruit. I see he had OK St. and Texas Tech as offers, but not much else from P5. Wonder why he didn't get more attention?

It goes both ways.
See LSU

I tend to agree with you. Look at the windows a college QB must throw into generally speaking. Obviously against the best defenses the windows get smaller, but for the most part Devonta Smith is catching balls with several yards space or will win his 1 on 1 in traffic (this is incredibly similar to what we were spoiled with last year with TJ and Bateman). The QB has to have some degree of competence, but a stud WR is going to make him look a hell of a lot better more so than the opposite pairing

IMO good WRs always make QBs better. How much better depends on the QB. (and with the obvious exceptions of me playing QB, or zero people on OL)... good WRs always will improve QB results.

I'm a fully fledged member of the "Running does NOT make passing better." club.... it's almost always the OL and the WRs that help a QB.

IMO good WRs always make QBs better. How much better depends on the QB. (and with the obvious exceptions of me playing QB, or zero people on OL)... good WRs always will improve QB results.

I'm a fully fledged member of the "Running does NOT make passing better." club.... it's almost always the OL and the WRs that help a QB.

Agreed. Big windows will always make a QBs life easier. Will they always hit that window? No. But it sure makes it easier

Yeah.
But in years when they’ve had great wideouts they’ve had crap quarterback play with the exception of Burrow

I don't know, it seems like every year LSU had really strong WRs, their QBs put up really good numbers. They weren't as gaudy as they are now, but that's because they were running 45 times per game before 2019.

Mettenberg put up good numbers. Etling put up good numbers. The QB play struggled a bit last year but the WR room took a pretty drastic step back (injuries to the QBs too).

I don't know, it seems like every year LSU had really strong WRs, their QBs put up really good numbers. They weren't as gaudy as they are now, but that's because they were running 45 times per game before 2019.

Mettenberg put up good numbers. Etling put up good numbers. The QB play struggled a bit last year but the WR room took a pretty drastic step back (injuries to the QBs too).
You must have missed the entire les miles era

Let's see... we've got 31 days before late NSD on February 3. We've got a lot of nothing burgers as far as news is concerned about Gophers final recruits for 2021 recently.

Hopefully, it will heat up pretty quickly.

Let's see... we've got 31 days before late NSD on February 3. We've got a lot of nothing burgers as far as news is concerned about Gophers final recruits for 2021 recently.

Might not have many spots left at this point. Will be interesting to see what Dickerson and Townley do. Haven’t seen much regarding any other H.S. prospects.

May be hard to recruit when you’re possibly linked to an NFL job.

A lot of schools get who they want in early and shift focus to the next year.

I’d agree the wide receivers are a bigger factor than the QB, within reason. (We’ve had some who couldn’t throw.)
But even a great QB needs some kind of protection and maybe even more important, depending on the situation, coaching is a factor. Quick releases, screens, slants etc helpful. Philosophy and scheme
are important...play calling can grind you to a halt. (Think 4th Quarters as one example)

You don’t want to be left with no spots for the transfer market this year. It’s quietly being evaluated.

You don’t want to be left with no spots for the transfer market this year. It’s quietly being evaluated.

It only makes sense under the new transfer climate. At least this coming season. The Gophers can't bank on Dickerson and Townley as being sure bets. Maybe the Gophers know something they don't want to publicize.

Every season after each recruiting class, we have a great sense of optimism. Every recruiting class always have surprise byline(s) in terms of recruits playing below or above or below their expectations. We delight on the stories of PWOs breaking the starting lineup through sheer hard work and determination. Then, there are the injuries that are career altering and the opportunities they create.

Under normal circumstances, PJ Fleck and staff are doing the right thing. Relying heavily on live evaluations and sound intelligence reports rather than on ratings alone. Don't get me wrong. They won't pass up on 4 Stars if they see them fitting the mold. They cannot afford to recruit highly rated duds. They are no tOSU that can afford and absorb recruiting mistakes.

This virtual recruiting during the pandemic is different. Every college team had to find creative ways to recruit. The Gophers are sort of pioneers in virtual recruiting. Thanks to the Gophers Recruiting Staff for their creativity. Everyone else in the B1G followed suit. How in the world where they ever able to convince players like Steven Ortiz and Mar'Kiese Irving to sign? It is like a work of magic.

It helps that they have a 4-Star QB in Athan Kaliakmanis. The peer-to-peer recruiting by recruits themselves really helped. Didn't some of the recruits and the parents went on a bonding trip to Florida on their own?

Hope Springs Eternal!

It only makes sense under the new transfer climate. At least this coming season. The Gophers can't bank on Dickerson and Townley as being sure bets. Maybe the Gophers know something they don't want to publicize.

They can't publicize anything. Fleck isn't even allowed to talk publicly about a recruit (by name at least) until they sign.

Depends if you think you can get a good transfer or not.

It's not like pro sports were most teams can grab someone here or there if they're willing to pay / trade. A lot of transfers are a roll of the dice.

WR make QB's look much better. Look at the top programs. How many have QB's that pan out in the NFL? Look at tOSU, the best NFL career in the last 40 years is Mike Tomczak and he wasn't drafted. Look at Urban Meyer. How many QB's have had good NFL careers? Look at Alabama. They have studs at WR every year. Look at MN. Morgan likely will not get drafted, but is the best QB to play here in some time.

WR make QB's look much better. Look at the top programs. How many have QB's that pan out in the NFL? Look at tOSU, the best NFL career in the last 40 years is Mike Tomczak and he wasn't drafted. Look at Urban Meyer. How many QB's have had good NFL careers? Look at Alabama. They have studs at WR every year. Look at MN. Morgan likely will not get drafted, but is the best QB to play here in some time.
Regarding Morgan: Is your point that our receivers last year may have made him look a little better than he really is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom