Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough loss, but expected. Based on his film, he could be a great Will in the 4-3 too. The kid is quick twitch, has an attitude and is athletic!!! Bucky will love him!
Bolded: again, was it not expected that he was going to play hockey???

This has nothing to do with a kid wanting to get away. Ratzlaff was committed to the U for hockey for the past 2 years. If he had been drafted in the NHL, he would be playing hockey for the Gophers next year. Since he wasn’t, he’ll be playing football for the Badgers. This is clearly a case of a recruit liking 2 schools, and feeling that one was a better fit for hockey and the other was a better fit for football.
Cool...I was responding to the premise that an anti Minnesota bias exists among high school coaches. I don’t believe that is or has been an issue.

I see that the Press has an article online that I can't pull up why he picked Wisconsin over MN. Can someone do a copy and paste?

Bolded: again, was it not expected that he was going to play hockey???
It all depended on where he was picked in the 2020 NHL draft. I he was all of a sudden a high pick in nhl coming out of high school my guess is he would play hockey for the gophers. Some of the articles I’ve read it sounds like he prefers football over hockey but probably saw and easier way to make money in the nhl as opposed to the nfl.

It all depended on where he was picked in the 2020 NHL draft. I he was all of a sudden a high pick in nhl coming out of high school my guess is he would play hockey for the gophers. Some of the articles I’ve read it sounds like he prefers football over hockey but probably saw and easier way to make money in the nhl as opposed to the nfl.

He’s no lock for the NFL. He’s rated a 4* 90 by 247 and his composite is a 3* .8667. He’s a very good player and would have loved to have gotten him, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over It. His calibre of player is easily replaceable. I’m more excited about Townley. Hope he commits.

He’s no lock for the NFL. He’s rated a 4* 90 by 247 and his composite is a 3* .8667. He’s a very good player and would have loved to have gotten him, but I’m not going to lose any sleep over It. His calibre of player is easily replaceable. I’m more excited about Townley. Hope he commits.
disagree. He is really good.

Cool...I was responding to the premise that an anti Minnesota bias exists among high school coaches. I don’t believe that is or has been an issue.

Lakeville absolutely has Badger bias.

He went undrafted in the nhl, so it’s still a much easier course to the nfl than the nhl.

I don't get it, why is he playing football, if his future earnings are in hockey? If he did not get drafted, why isn't he playing hockey in college? That is like a guy wanting to play football but plans on playing hockey in college to prepare for his professional hockey career. Good athlete, but he is about 6'1 or 6'2 and 210 pounds. There are a million guys like that.

Maybe, but Mitch Liedner and his brother went to gophers not too long ago.

Rosemount kid came to gophers literally last year.
Not to mention 2 Rousemillers (both track, 1 was former FB), and current Gophers Clay Geary and Nathan Boe.

Not to mention 2 Rousemillers (both track, 1 was former FB), and current Gophers Clay Geary and Nathan Boe.
And I’ve seen Lakeville North’s head football coach at gopher games.
And the old South coach sent kamal Martin from Burnsville to Minnesota (don’t know new Lakeville south coach as well)

Maybe, but Mitch Liedner and his brother went to gophers not too long ago.

Rosemount kid came to gophers literally last year.

I think North is the one that we have more trouble with. And Leidner didn't have a Wisconsin offer.

And I’ve seen Lakeville North’s head football coach at gopher games.
And the old South coach sent kamal Martin from Burnsville to Minnesota (don’t know new Lakeville south coach as well)
I know quite a few Lakeville boys and girls coaches at both schools, having grown up there and have family living there. They aren't promoting Badgers or any other school for that matter. They promote the athletes to get scholarships and leave it up to the athlete and their families to select what's best for them.

I know quite a few Lakeville boys and girls coaches at both schools, having grown up there and have family living there. They aren't promoting Badgers or any other school for that matter. They promote the athletes to get scholarships and leave it up to the athlete and their families to select what's best for them.
Not sure I'd believe this.

As is the case at 99% of programs

Not sure I'd believe this.
Please explain. North FB has never sent a kid to WI, South has sent 1 for FB (Mahlman). Each school has a player at the U now (North-Boe; South-Geary).
If you're speaking of basketball North has 2 players there. Pitino treats most of the MN kids as a plan B, and the players aren't dumb enough to be strung along.

Last edited:

Please explain. North FB has never sent a kid to WI, South has sent 1 for FB (Mahlman). Each school has a player at the U now (North-Boe; South-Geary).
If you're speaking of basketball North has 2 players there. Pitino treats most of the MN kids as a plan B, and the players aren't dumb enough to be strung along.
First I don't believe Pitino treats most kids in Minnesota as a plan B. As to the main comment regarding football. I just question the loyalty of some folks. No facts to back it up. Just a hunch.

Need to be better in state. Really disappointing to have these types of results coming off the best season the program has had in many of our lifetimes (also why it was so key to NOT lose the rivalry games that year). There were 8 in state guys the Gophers wanted this year and they are going to end up with 2 or 3 of them.

I think this staff recruits well, I know PJ puts in a lot of work personally. I have more faith the recruiting results instate will change under this staff, but that goes hand in hand with on field performance too.

The in state thing is interesting.

It would be nice to just get all the good local guys .... but MN doesn't produce a ton of great talent ... and to be the team that just gets local guys by default you'd have a great team. By the time you're a great team... don't need to be / you'd have to already be croot'n great outside of MN anyway.

I feel like local recruting is missing the forest through the one MN tree.

The in state thing is interesting.

It would be nice to just get all the good local guys .... but MN doesn't produce a ton of great talent ... and to be the team that just gets local guys by default you'd have a great team. By the time you're a great team... don't need to be / you'd have to already be croot'n great outside of MN anyway.

I feel like local recruting is missing the forest through the one MN tree.

Yes, but when you have a class like the EMPIRE class and the class this year, you have to make hay. Acording to 247, we have SEVEN 4star, in-state recruits this year. (8 Power 5 commits and 1 uncommitted the U is hoping to get.) State list

I have to admit I am surprised that he did not pick the U to play FB for. It was where he planned to play here for hockey, why not FB? From what I hear he liked Fleck. After the great year we had I was hoping we would have a strong recruiting class at home. The whole state was rowing and showed what it would look like. I wonder if all the talk of Fleck leaving wore people out. If Fleck shows a commitment to stay and that this year is just a farce, I think things will get better. If Fleck is talked about every year as someone who wants to move, than we will have issues. His new contract was really a 1 year contract (buyout was only outrageous for last season). Local recruits know our history and things like that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom