Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?????

What happened to the guy on here who played golf with his pop, who said the dad said it was all but guaranteed he was going to play hockey???

Badger bag men got to the family. Wonder how much $$$ that cost them. Sheesh
What are you talking about- you’re sounding very paranoid

I mean we still have probably our best recruiting class since the early 2000's. Losing out on an in state kid doesn't mean we will never win another game.

Are you sure? This may be the end of the end of the end of Gopher football.

I am annoyed we've lost back to back 4 star LBs from Minnesota. More annoyed they both went to wisconsin. I don't blame them but it sucks.

Are you sure? This may be the end of the end of the end of Gopher football.

I am annoyed we've lost back to back 4 star LBs from Minnesota. More annoyed they both went to wisconsin. I don't blame them but it sucks.
Sure it stings...especially them going to Wisconsin, but our recruiting class is still pretty stacked, especially on defense.

What are you talking about- you’re sounding very paranoid
This is what I'm talking about: https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

Excellent article. Absolutely has happened for some time, and continues to happen. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Wisconsin has been building up its network.

The number #1 player in Pennsylvania, and at a position that Wisconsin already has massively, fully stocked .... wants to go to ... Wisconsin to play college football??? No. That's $$$.

That'd be like the top player in Oklahoma going to West Virginia to play.

Last edited:

I've heard for last several weeks it was Bucky for football.
I don't follow it that close obviously (don't pay for premium recruiting content, not saying you do). I just had seen the talk on here that it was hockey all the way.

Good luck to him. Wisconsin's 3-4 bread and butter defense is LB U.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

Excellent article. Absolutely has happened for some time, and continues to happen. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Wisconsin has been building up its network.

The number #1 player in Pennsylvania, and at a position that Wisconsin already has massively, fully stocked .... wants to go to ... Wisconsin to play college football??? No. That's $$$.

The article reads like a parody of a good spy novel.
There are multiple reasons why a 17 year old decides on one school vs the others and in some schools under the table $$ play a deciding role in the choice.
That has been evident in both college BB and FB.
But to name a school as cheating without evidence is Joe McCarthy red baiting tactics.

Sure it stings...especially them going to Wisconsin, but our recruiting class is still pretty stacked, especially on defense.
I think that's kinda the paradox. Focus locally sure to some extent, but you gotta get the guys you CAN get. Make a big deal / spend time on guys you just don't feel are going to commit just because they're local, might be wasting time.

Those non MN guys ... they committed.

The article reads like a parody of a good spy novel.
There are multiple reasons why a 17 year old decides on one school vs the others and in some schools under the table $$ play a deciding role in the choice.
That has been evident in both college BB and FB.
But to name a school as cheating without evidence is Joe McCarthy red baiting tactics.
Maybe I'm dead wrong. Probably.

Just seems weird from my point of view being told this guy was a hockey guy all the way ..... then suddenly he's committed to Wisconsin to play football.

An Olineman choosing a school with a great pedigree of getting Olineman drafted necessitates a bagman?

An Olineman choosing a school with a great pedigree of getting Olineman drafted necessitates a bagman?
Do they have a pedigree? They always have had some number of large Wisconsin kids stay home to roadgrade for star running backs. Other than one particular guy (JT), I don't think they're known as any kind of factory for turning out star NFL Olinemen. No more than Iowa. Or plenty of other schools.

How many times have they landed the #1 player from Pennsylvania?

Fine, I'm reaching like hell and no one wants to believe me. That's fine. I still put it out there, because it smells.

NDSU, Iowa, SJU, Mankato, UST, Duluth, Wisconsin,UMD, White Water, have all had success with there football programs, many of them winning National Championships, most of them with Minnesota athletes. I looked at NDSU's roster and the top athletes from central Minnesota, Becker, St. Cloud, Buffalo, Monticello, Royalton, Crosby, Marshall. This does not include the Metro kids. SJU has become the winning-est Div. III program by recruiting basically in an hour radius over the years. There is enough talent in Minnesota. You have to create an winning culture in which all these kids are recruited either scholarship or walk- on, on a consistent basis until Jim and all his buddies want to go play and win in their state. The University attempts to be so elite that non of them either get recruited or want to play in the program. Really simple, just look at their record for the last 35 years.

NDSU, Iowa, SJU, Mankato, UST, Duluth, Wisconsin,UMD, White Water, have all had success with there football programs, many of them winning National Championships, most of them with Minnesota athletes. I looked at NDSU's roster and the top athletes from central Minnesota, Becker, St. Cloud, Buffalo, Monticello, Royalton, Crosby, Marshall. This does not include the Metro kids. SJU has become the winning-est Div. III program by recruiting basically in an hour radius over the years. There is enough talent in Minnesota. You have to create an winning culture in which all these kids are recruited either scholarship or walk- on, on a consistent basis until Jim and all his buddies want to go play and win in their state. The University attempts to be so elite that non of them either get recruited or want to play in the program. Really simple, just look at their record for the last 35 years.

Got any suggestions on who else they should offer this year besides the TG qb?

They are so elite that the majority of the top football talent is not recruited or interested in attending. Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU look at all the top talent in their respected states. I now guys that went to play HS football in these states this year because of Covid, Minnesota never reached out or spoke with them, but they are getting mailings and being contacted by Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU after playing in the state one year. Go figure.

They are so elite that the majority of the top football talent is not recruited or interested in attending. Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU look at all the top talent in their respected states. I now guys that went to play HS football in these states this year because of Covid, Minnesota never reached out or spoke with them, but they are getting mailings and being contacted by Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU after playing in the state one year. Go figure.
Not sure why it matters where they come from. It’s not as simple as the team who recruits the most instate kids wins the championship.

Iowa and Wisconsin typically get the best kids to stay. If we got every kid we wanted to stay we would have a lot of instate kids too. Wisconsin isn’t offering a bunch of instate kids ranked 10-20th in their state every year.

Iowa and Wisconsin typically get the best kids to stay. If we got every kid we wanted to stay we would have a lot of instate kids too. Wisconsin isn’t offering a bunch of instate kids ranked 10-20th in their state every year.
They were in the 90's before they got their program rolling. I see how it is working for the Gophers.

Not sure why it matters where they come from. It’s not as simple as the team who recruits the most instate kids wins the championship.
Absolutely not as simple as that.

But you can't entirely, completely decouple them either. You can't prove causation one way or another.

Does Ohio have an abundance of in-state talent, good enough to win big, and Ohio wins big because they keep those kids at home more often than not? Or is it a coincidence? You can't prove it. We can just notice the correlation ....

Getting a mailing is barely above nothing. It costs almost nothing to send out a mail blast to every high school player that got at least honorable mention all-conference as a junior. Who knows, maybe that mailing nets you a couple walk-ons? Etc.

Ru'Quan Buckley is announcing on Saturday.

I guess his decision may have an impact on, or may be impacted behind the scenes by, Townley's decision?

Absolutely not as simple as that.

But you can't entirely, completely decouple them either. You can't prove causation one way or another.

Does Ohio have an abundance of in-state talent, good enough to win big, and Ohio wins big because they keep those kids at home more often than not? Or is it a coincidence? You can't prove it. We can just notice the correlation ....
True, but you can come up with all kinds of correlations that probably don’t have much merit. I actually do think recruiting more instate kids can work to a degree, but I don’t think it’s a major factor. Iowa has done well to a degree with it, but even with them you can kind of see a ceiling on how far that can take their program.

First I don't believe Pitino treats most kids in Minnesota as a plan B. As to the main comment regarding football. I just question the loyalty of some folks. No facts to back it up. Just a hunch.
Loyalty to what?
A high school basketball coach owes no loyalty to anyone other than their kids and their school

I have to admit I am surprised that he did not pick the U to play FB for. It was where he planned to play here for hockey, why not FB? From what I hear he liked Fleck. After the great year we had I was hoping we would have a strong recruiting class at home. The whole state was rowing and showed what it would look like. I wonder if all the talk of Fleck leaving wore people out. If Fleck shows a commitment to stay and that this year is just a farce, I think things will get better. If Fleck is talked about every year as someone who wants to move, than we will have issues. His new contract was really a 1 year contract (buyout was only outrageous for last season). Local recruits know our history and things like that matter.
There is no way the Edina kid is as good as his rating IMO.

justice Sullivan has Iowa family ties...I think? Plus, two DEs from Minnesota higher rated than him and committed to U of M.

Riley mahlman is a loss. He played very few games this year. From what I’ve heard...he is an interesting personality. I’d like to have him on paper...team might be better off without him from a chemistry standpoint (that’s just rumor I’ve heard...I don’t actually know anything)

I think ratzloff is a major miss. This is the biggest loss of the class IMO. He could probably start at many G5 programs as a 17 year old. Great film.

I know nothing about alt but all over the country catholic school high school players often jump at the notre dame chance.

would be nice to get everyone. None of this changes my opinion that Fleck deserves quite a bit of time to build.

Maybe I'm dead wrong. Probably.

Just seems weird from my point of view being told this guy was a hockey guy all the way ..... then suddenly he's committed to Wisconsin to play football.
There have been rumors in the south metro since august that it was 50/50 football hockey

MN if hockey
WI if football

WI better fit for his skill set.

When he didn’t go to juniors and instead came back for senior year at Rosemount...everyone in the south metro started to assume he was going to be a badger football player and were proven correct.

I don't get it, why is he playing football, if his future earnings are in hockey? If he did not get drafted, why isn't he playing hockey in college? That is like a guy wanting to play football but plans on playing hockey in college to prepare for his professional hockey career. Good athlete, but he is about 6'1 or 6'2 and 210 pounds. There are a million guys like that.
His earnings are not in hockey. The fact he went undrafted in the nhl means teams don’t like him. When you’re drafted in the nhl teams have your rights the entire time your are eligible to play college hockey. That means they could own your rights for 5 or 6 years depending on junior hockey and when you enroll in college. The fact no team took a flyer on him I the draft means he has no future in the nhl. There were 217 picks in the draft and not one time wanted his rights.

That’s good cause the product on the field is terrible. MSM looks so slow to play middle linebacker I think he would struggle at perennial division 3 powers to make the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom