Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

LOL, you all should send emails to Coyle either approving or complaining about recruiting. We know he bases coaching employment upon such emails. [emoji41]

Coaches are free to have their own opinions on the character of the players they want on their team. If the coach doesn't think a particular player fits his standards, he won't have him on his team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone did it in 2 weeks. And last year out of our 10 top rated recruits, 8 were MN kids. This year only 2 are.

Not sure how it matters where they come from? That speaks more to the weakness of the state this year than anything else. Of the top 8 recruits 4 were done by TC and company. Btw- the average 247 rating for current commits from Claeys is 0.8368. Those from PJ is 0.8342.

Before you get into the recruiting ability stuff- I completely agree that PJ is much more dynamic than TC and likely a better closer in the living room. He has done an excellent job flipping his own recruits- although if he hadn't been able to that would have been extremely worrisome. He's also been able to attract 4 decent looking commits in his short time here although 1 is a legacy that likely wouldn't have looked here otherwise, and I think I read he had a relationship with at least 2 of the other 3 prior to coming here. Nevertheless, I freely admit the man can recruit although he understandably hasn't attracted hi 3* and 4* guys yet.

The questions I have include can the other coaches recruit at the elite P5 level when PJ can't be out there doing all the grunt work himself due to his other responsibilities? If they can then I hope they hold back some scholarships for next year when we'll be in for a fun ride.

Not sure how it matters where they come from? That speaks more to the weakness of the state this year than anything else. Of the top 8 recruits 4 were done by TC and company. Btw- the average 247 rating for current commits from Claeys is 0.8368. Those from PJ is 0.8342.

Before you get into the recruiting ability stuff- I completely agree that PJ is much more dynamic than TC and likely a better closer in the living room. He has done an excellent job flipping his own recruits- although if he hadn't been able to that would have been extremely worrisome. He's also been able to attract 4 decent looking commits in his short time here although 1 is a legacy that likely wouldn't have looked here otherwise, and I think I read he had a relationship with at least 2 of the other 3 prior to coming here. Nevertheless, I freely admit the man can recruit although he understandably hasn't attracted hi 3* and 4* guys yet.

The questions I have include can the other coaches recruit at the elite P5 level when PJ can't be out there doing all the grunt work himself due to his other responsibilities? If they can then I hope they hold back some scholarships for next year when we'll be in for a fun ride.

-in-state kids are often easier to convince, some may want to play for the U regardless of who the coach is.
-Claeys average was boosted when Fleck told some of the recruits to look elsewhere, and the fact that it still is barely better after recruiting all year isn't a point for Claeys.
-The legacy recruit was recruited by Claeys and said no to him.
-can his staff recruit? I dunno enough about them to know that. I don't think anyone on Claeys staff was known as some great closer. Although I trusted Sawvel's judgment regardless of stars.

To sum up:
- Fleck will give MN best recruiting classes in school history
- Won't become like the Michigans and tOSUs of the world, but could become a formidable "second tier" team
- Should be able to win right away with Fleck at the helm (both good recruiter AND good coach)
- Tanner Morgan will be able to open up the MN offense in a way that puts them ahead of their competition in the B1G West

Suspiciously overwhelming optimism. I like it!

Given all the talk about legality of discussing confidential info- if Fleck has gotten inside info on how the review board is going to rule there's going to be a lot of $ being delivered to the 10 men.

Pretty sure the coaches and AD get to make decisions on scholarships no matter what. The outcome of the appeals may have nothing to do with their decision to keep a player or not.

Well, you're kind of trying to suck all the joy out of the room. We're up now, Iowa's down, time to celebrate.

Sorry, man. Wish it weren't true. If he is as good as advertised, Gophs should have future classes consistently ranked in the mid 30s to low 40s.

I get the excitement for Fleck but try and remember that every team has a coach that is going to recruit too. Hiring Fleck didn't change the disadvantages that exist at MN. Some are removed with the new facilities, but unless those Facilities are moved to Florida...it is still MN and still a very weak state for home grown talent.

To sum up:
- Fleck will give MN best recruiting classes in school history
- Won't become like the Michigans and tOSUs of the world, but could become a formidable "second tier" team
- Should be able to win right away with Fleck at the helm (both good recruiter AND good coach)
- Tanner Morgan will be able to open up the MN offense in a way that puts them ahead of their competition in the B1G West

Suspiciously overwhelming optimism. I like it!

I like your summary. Especially this part...

We deleted about 30 posts tonight that went way off-topic. We will continue to do so because people come to this thread for updates on 2017 recruiting.

According to 247 we added a PWO walk-on yesterday. Was that Jaran Roste from Alexandria?

So for PWOs we had: Jaran Roste QB, Quinn Coughlin DT, Reid Hilbelink WR and Joe Russell WR. Are they staying (Fleck seems to like Minnesota kids...getting Mafe to visit when Claeys seemed to have cooled on him)? Are there others who have committed? Anyone know the PWO situation?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's okay - I've been assured we have the situation under control by several in this board.

Take it FWIW but I noticed ESPN rated Neil Mclaurin the #1 JC dual threat QB in the country and our highest rated recruit. Ta'amu is #6 for comparison. They also rated Chris Bell our second highest and the #86 WR in the country.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2017

Interesting although it seems ESPN ratings are often somewhat different from the other 3 main rating services.

Offering high end talent that is committed, has multiple offers, and isn't coming here does absolutely nothing for me.

Top Bottom