Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SI: Why a four-star wide receiver from Florida says he's headed to Minnesota

Snelson says Minnesota envisions him lining up in the slot and as an H-Back and thinks he could make an impact as a ballcarrier on screen plays and jet sweeps. Deploying Snelson on run plays could make him more valuable in their offense, as the Gophers' recent track record does not inspire optimism that they’ll throw the ball often. In four seasons under Kill, Minnesota has ranked no higher than ninth in the Big Ten in passing attempts per game and last in the conference in 2013 and 2014.

Snelson counters that Kill “told me they were going to spread the ball out this year.” (Through three games in 2015, the Gophers check in at No. 4 in the Big Ten with 35.7 passing attempts per game.)

Snelson’s commitment has not stopped other programs from trying to steer him closer to home. Snelson says he’s still hearing from Louisville, Florida, Central Florida and Miami, and that he’s trying to arrange visits with the Gators and the Cardinals. Those programs and others will likely ramp up their pursuits leading into National Signing Day on Feb. 3, which will test Snelson’s resolve. (He described an August article indicating there was a 40% chance he’d end up at Miami as “false information.”)

A lot can change in the more than four months before signing day, but for now, Snelson represents a huge recruiting victory for Minnesota, a program that has made strides since the beginning of Kill’s tenure but nonetheless doesn’t strike most blue-chip prospects as a desirable destination.

“Most people think I’m not going to sign with Minnesota,” Snelson says. “But they can think what they want to think.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/...n-minnesota-golden-gophers-recruiting-roundup

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

SI: Why a four-star wide receiver from Florida says he's headed to Minnesota

Snelson says Minnesota envisions him lining up in the slot and as an H-Back and thinks he could make an impact as a ballcarrier on screen plays and jet sweeps. Deploying Snelson on run plays could make him more valuable in their offense, as the Gophers' recent track record does not inspire optimism that they’ll throw the ball often. In four seasons under Kill, Minnesota has ranked no higher than ninth in the Big Ten in passing attempts per game and last in the conference in 2013 and 2014.

Snelson counters that Kill “told me they were going to spread the ball out this year.” (Through three games in 2015, the Gophers check in at No. 4 in the Big Ten with 35.7 passing attempts per game.)

Snelson’s commitment has not stopped other programs from trying to steer him closer to home. Snelson says he’s still hearing from Louisville, Florida, Central Florida and Miami, and that he’s trying to arrange visits with the Gators and the Cardinals. Those programs and others will likely ramp up their pursuits leading into National Signing Day on Feb. 3, which will test Snelson’s resolve. (He described an August article indicating there was a 40% chance he’d end up at Miami as “false information.”)

A lot can change in the more than four months before signing day, but for now, Snelson represents a huge recruiting victory for Minnesota, a program that has made strides since the beginning of Kill’s tenure but nonetheless doesn’t strike most blue-chip prospects as a desirable destination.

“Most people think I’m not going to sign with Minnesota,” Snelson says. “But they can think what they want to think.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/...n-minnesota-golden-gophers-recruiting-roundup

Go Gophers!!

This article also states he is trying to set up visits with Florida and Louisville. What the hell? Is he committed or not?

This article also states he is trying to set up visits with Florida and Louisville. What the hell? Is he committed or not?

To be honest, if I were an 18 year old kid, I'd probably take the free trips and fun that official visits bring. No reason not to.

To be honest, if I were an 18 year old kid, I'd probably take the free trips and fun that official visits bring. No reason not to.

If a Gopher "commit" visits elsewhere the coaching staff considers that player not committed and will continue to look at other players at their position. So there is a reason not to, that you might lose your spot. Bottom line, if you still want to take other visits, don't commit to a school. It's not that difficult.

If a Gopher "commit" visits elsewhere the coaching staff considers that player not committed and will continue to look at other players at their position. So there is a reason not to, that you might lose your spot. Bottom line, if you still want to take other visits, don't commit to a school. It's not that difficult.

I think it depends on your position. If you're some nobody two star, maybe not a good idea to keep taking visits lest you be dropped. If you're THE big WR of that class... probably can get away with it.

I'm not sure the Gophers are in a position to play hardball with the "no other visits" like some schools can.

In the end these are just kids, I find it hard to hold them to this stuff like they're signing a big contract or something. Most of them probably haven't bought anything bigger than a phone with their own money... if that.

They're kids, it's a tough decision, until they sign I don't think of it as over. If folks change their mind I might be disappointed but it is their call.

This is all part of the game. Coaches lie to recruits. Recruits either lie or change their minds about coaches. Besides, people have the right to change their minds and high school kids aren't exactly mature or making decisions based on the best criteria. Some of you need to gain some perspective.

Except when all the other schools get filled up and they don't have room for your commitment anymore...

Except when all the other schools get filled up and they don't have room for your commitment anymore...

Bingo. We expect these kids to hold to a verbal commitment, but don't expect the same for the adults. Nothing is official until Signing Day. It's the way it is and I don't blame the kids for exploring their options.

He looks good!
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3206915/highlights/291333382' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

He looks good!
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3206915/highlights/291333382' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

He does look good. Very quick off the snap and you can see he has the power to shed the block. You don't see the other moves he may have but you think about getting him with Phelps and having someone like Steve Richardson take him under his wing he could really be quite the player.

It's pretty much set that Johnson's being recruited to play DB. I can't see any of his top four looking at him for QB. Iowa State perhaps. Am I correct?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Florida OLB <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrePolk12">@AndrePolk12</a> calls his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Minnesota?src=hash">#Minnesota</a> official visit "perfect". Full story here. ($)
<a href="http://t.co/m0u4cDAzzs">http://t.co/m0u4cDAzzs</a> <a href="http://t.co/AE4krtJ7ae">pic.twitter.com/AE4krtJ7ae</a></p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/648651208878608384">September 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom