Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I'm less in the know

Personally, I'm not in the know, but I think it's a moot point anyway as I highly doubt Spielman is coming here.

but I suppose the thought is some people might not feel he would choose the Gophers because we have not been an offensive fireworks. Dad knows football and the Gophers might not seem his best fit to showcase his skills. I don't believe we are front runners and there is a lot of things and programs to overcome for him to be a Gopher.

But, he has lived here, I'm guessing for awhile now, and it is home and Dad could see him play so that's the other side.

There are also Ohio State connections but he doesn't have that offer yet. And some word he also might be a DB.

We were not the first to offer but we are not that late either. He has offers from Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and us....with 20 prominent schools listed as interested.

Background here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2379754-jd-spielman-son-of-nfl-gm-chasing-football-dream-despite-lacrosse-stardom

but I suppose the thought is some people might not feel he would choose the Gophers because we have not been an offensive fireworks. Dad knows football and the Gophers might not seem his best fit to showcase his skills. I don't believe we are front runners and there is a lot of things and programs to overcome for him to be a Gopher.

But, he has lived here, I'm guessing for awhile now, and it is home and Dad could see him play so that's the other side.

There are also Ohio State connections but he doesn't have that offer yet. And some word he also might be a DB.

We were not the first to offer but we are not that late either. He has offers from Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska and us....with 20 prominent schools listed as interested.

Background here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2379754-jd-spielman-son-of-nfl-gm-chasing-football-dream-despite-lacrosse-stardom

Thanks for posting the article gives me a much clearer understanding about this prospect

Does Howard play any defense in high school? Has our staff ever taken an offensive-only player in high school and recruited them as a defensive player? I ask because Tracy Claeys on multiple occasions has said we are a good tackling team because they recruit players who tackle well in high school. My best guess is Howard would end up at WR.

Pretty sure Eric Murray was a WR and the coaches put him at CB in camp and offered him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Eric Murray was a WR and the coaches put him at CB in camp and offered him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At camp he started off at WR, then switched to CB but for his HS team he might have played both. Don't remember.

WR? No wonder he doesn't look back for the ball.

Personally, I'm not in the know, but I think it's a moot point anyway as I highly doubt Spielman is coming here.

If he comes here.....I'm totally putting you on blast, bro, with 2 LOLs and maybe an OMG. I'll try not to forget the played-out meme and variance analysis of posts made as a follow-up. I can't stop saying bro, bro.

That said, I agree. I think his stock only rises from here, and he gets his coveted aOSU football offer (already committed there to play lacrosse? Is that still accurate? Read it somewhere, at some point).

At camp he started off at WR, then switched to CB but for his HS team he might have played both. Don't remember.

He was a WR in HS that never touched the ball. I remember seeing a bit of actual game film and it was clear he was a great athlete but they were a running team that made no effort to get him the ball. Reminded me of when Rodney Williams played for Cooper and was basically the 5th option on offense

If he comes here.....I'm totally putting you on blast, bro, with 2 LOLs and maybe an OMG. I'll try not to forget the played-out meme and variance analysis of posts made as a follow-up. I can't stop saying bro, bro.

That said, I agree. I think his stock only rises from here, and he gets his coveted aOSU football offer (already committed there to play lacrosse? Is that still accurate? Read it somewhere, at some point).

Highly doubt he gets an OSU football offer.

Gophers have offered Philip Howard, QB/CB from Robbinsdale Cooper. Recently a junior listed at 5'11" 175. Just from HUDL, he looks very quick in and out of cuts and runs with good speed. I'm guessing Kill and Limegrover see him as a potential DB or slot receiver.

My .02

- We have as good a shot with Spielman as anyone outside of OSU football. His family is here. His Dad gushed about Kill and Kill's pro day. His Head Coach, Mike Grant is a big fan of Kill's. His buddy Carter Coughlin just committed. etc. He's no lock, but there's no reason to think we're not a significant player in this.

- Howard will end up a CB is my bet. 5'11" 175lb today, could be 6-6'1" 200lb in 18 months. That'd be a nice sized corner. His highlights show great quickness, but nothing we haven't seen before from other guys who ended up at CB. Watch Troy Stoudermire running the option at Skyline. Watch Jalen Myrick in the veer down in Georgia. Similar quickness/athleticism, imo.

- Tyler Johnson from North would make a great looking Safety imo.

I really like Tyler Johnson. Unbelievable athletic ability for his size. My only concern is that he may want to play quarterback.

Am I mis-remembering, or is Spielman committed to tOSU for lacrosse?

Matt Kegel got offered by Oklahoma State. That is the one team that I've worried about for a while with him as he has shown a lot of interest in them.

Re: Spielman - if Marcus Sherels is one of his mentors/role models, that can't hurt the Gophers' chances.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers have offered Philip Howard, QB/CB from Robbinsdale Cooper. Recently a junior listed at 5'11" 175. Just from HUDL, he looks very quick in and out of cuts and runs with good speed. I'm guessing Kill and Limegrover see him as a potential DB or slot receiver.

He looks really fast. I think he looks faster than Speilman.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4-star OT

Carmel HS Il, brothers Sean and Braden, unofficial, Apr 4th, make it so, Coach Limegrover.
Brothers are us...one or two bricks at a time!

Foster's 5 that he posted were Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, and Purdue. He does not have offers from Wisconsin or Iowa yet. His dad played at Iowa.

Dad played at Iowa. If his offer list stays the same I like our chances but I have a feeling a helmet school will swoop him up sooner or later similar to Grant Schmidt last year. Sounds like an ND lock of they offer but it is still nice to see heavy interest from a top 300 guy.

Dad played at Iowa. If his offer list stays the same I like our chances but I have a feeling a helmet school will swoop him up sooner or later similar to Grant Schmidt last year. Sounds like an ND lock of they offer but it is still nice to see heavy interest from a top 300 guy.

Why does he sound like an ND lock? If he was that interested in the Irish, you'd think he would have put them
In his top 5. After all, both WI and IA have not offered, and yet they are in his top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom